Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You have positively got to be kidding me....you are one of the last few people in New England who should be on a scorched earth tour for anything concerning winter. You have above average snows every year.

This is embarrassing but I admit to not understanding how the definition of scorched-earth applies to what this engagement is/means to people ? 

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You have positively got to be kidding me....you are one of the last few people in New England who should be on a scorched earth tour for anything concerning winter. You have above average snows every year.

I’m more referring to how briefly it lasts. 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is embarrassing but I admit to not understanding how the definition of scorched-earth applies to what this engagement is/means to people ? 

I’m all referring to waiting all year for something that is fleeting and lasts a month.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Cry me a frigging river. You can have one from my string of shitty seasons that lasts four months.

So you're happy with a short season? Sure I got lucky in a 20 mile wide band this season, but that melted in a week. December sucked and so did a chunk of the rest of the winter. That's all I mean. 

My average has a wide standard deviation. Some winters will blow, some will be good. I know it's been tougher there recently, but we all know that won't last.

Y'all should start wiring some internal psycho-babble circuitry around the notion of winters not being good, more likely than being good.. moving forward//a part of how the changing global environment forces our local climate paradigm.

That's code for, get used to it.

There will be good times... but they will be outnumbered by bad perception eras.   Now, some of that neg-head perception will be biased in unfair personal greed ( LOL ) and borderline delusional expectations... But even accounting for that bag of cats, there are left over real dogs in the bad winter manifold.

We have seen accelerated base-line mid level jet fields all over the planet, regardless of polar indexing and ENSOs ...all of which are screwing the previous more stable statistical correlation/teleconnection projection methods, including ...seasonal outlooks. Those that don't except this will default to seeing the world through a dysphoric lens and never be happy. Those that do... may take joy/appreciation in smaller fan-fair.   Such that when the increasingly rarefied big result happens... that'll be the some seriously awesome cocaine! 

In a hundred years of climate change ...those folks won't have ever known what a Feb 5-7 1978 looks like outside of memory cards restored from the dystopian rubble world.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So you're happy with a short season? Sure I got lucky in a 20 mile wide band this season, but that melted in a week. December sucked and so did a chunk of the rest of the winter. That's all I mean. 

My average has a wide standard deviation. Some winters will blow, some will be good. I know it's been tougher there recently, but we all know that won't last.

I honestly would have loved to catch a 20 mile swath like that. Not to mentioned you witnessed one of the best blizzards of your life. I would prefer that over a 4 month stretch of climo snow and cold.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Y'all should start wiring some internal psycho-babble circuitry around the notion of winters not being good, more likely than being good.. moving forward//a part of how the changing global environment forces our local climate paradigm.

That's code for, get used to it.

There will be good times... but they will be outnumbered by bad perception eras.   Now, some of that neg-head perception will be biased in unfair personal greed ( LOL ) and borderline delusional expectations... But even accounting for that bag of cats, there are left over real dogs in the bad winter manifold.

We have seen accelerated base-line mid level jet fields all over the planet, regardless of polar indexing and ENSOs ...all of which are screwing the previous more stable statistical correlation/teleconnection projection methods, including ...seasonal outlooks. Those that don't except this will default to seeing the world through a dysphoric lens and never be happy. Those that do... may take joy/appreciation in smaller fan-fair.   Such that when the increasingly rarefied big result happens... that'll be the some seriously awesome cocaine! 

In a hundred years of climate change ...those folks won't have ever known what a Feb 5-7 1978 looks like outside of memory cards restored from the dystopian rubble world.

Its not about a failure to except climate change, its about one area of the region being boned and one not....though I'm sure you will find a way to attribute that to the Hadley Cell encroachment. :lol:

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I honestly would have loved to catch a 20 mile swath like that. Not to mentioned you witnessed one of the best blizzards of your life. I would prefer that over a 4 month stretch of climo snow and cold.

Ok fine, but all of the other winters have been short. That's all I mean. Remember that Dec 2019 and Feb 2021 where pretty darn good there and rather mediocre here.

But getting upset because I was AN snowfall while having a wide SD is like me getting upset that HYA got 50" and I got 40". 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Ok fine, but all of the other winters have been short. That's all I mean. Remember that Deb 2019 and Feb 2021 where pretty darn good there and rather mediocre here.

But getting upset because i was AN snowfall while having a wide SD is like me getting upset that HYA got 50" and I got 40". 

You should; that's a porking.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You should; that's a porking.

Eh, it's an area that is not all that snowy. Just like comparing Methuen to Weymouth. Your climo is much more conducive to snow despite the weird narrow porking that area has had. I can't be mad if an area that is less snowy beats me. But that's just me. 

I'm loving the short hot spells and general warm/low humidity days. Sure, a two week suffocation spell will probably come, but its getting on to mid July and it hasn't happened yet. Just need a little rain.

Moved from the city to the country and really notice the cooler nights out here in Clinton/Lancaster MA. Even with the lower elevation the weather is overall cooler than it was in town. By the time I get home from work its already a good 2 - 3 degrees cooler where I am than it was at a higher elevation in the city.

We'll see what happens come winter in terms of snow. Further northeast, but lower elevation and (slightly) closer to the coast. On the other hand I'm officially in north Worcester county. LOL

Great checking in to see what's being talked about. Often forget the board in the doldrums between May and October.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You and even me somewhat have consistently caught that 20 mile wide band for like 2 decades now. He has a point.

I can’t bring myself to talk poorly about a season where I got 3/4 of my climo snowfall in one event 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I guess I thought Scott was more like me in that he prioritizes the big fish....I would have expected an appreciation for 4 months of currier and ives from Kevin.

I do...immensely. Maybe it's getting lost....but to me, waiting all year for a shortened winter season just sucks. I struggle in winter outside of snow events. It's a looooooooong season.

Eh, it's an area that is not all that snowy. Just like comparing Methuen to Weymouth. Your climo is much more conducive to snow despite the weird narrow porking that area has had. I can't be mad if an area that is less snowy beats me. But that's just me. 

Exactly this...which is why its so frustrating.

Anyway, I feel like this season could be kind of meh again before the tide turns.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You and even me somewhat have consistently caught that 20 mile wide band for like 2 decades now. He has a point.

I can’t bring myself to talk poorly about a season where I got 3/4 of my climo snowfall in one event 

Nah, not like that. Maybe you mean just doing well overall. 

Nah, not like that. Maybe you mean just doing well overall. 

Well yes, overall we’ve done well. The Jan blizzard was just pure luck.. can’t predict where those narrow swaths will end up.

My whole point was it’s hard to view last season negatively for a winter enthusiast around here. Storm of a lifetime, and some other decent events mixed in. 

Retention is never the name of the game here, so I don’t really hold that against it.

Anyway, back on topic. I’m more impressed with Christmas dews than I have been with this summers so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Well yes, overall we’ve done well. The Jan blizzard was just pure luck.. can’t predict where those narrow swaths will end up.

My whole point was it’s hard to view last season negatively for a winter enthusiast around here. Storm of a lifetime, and some other decent events mixed in. 

Retention is never the name of the game here, so I don’t really hold that against it.

Anyway, back on topic. I’m more impressed with Christmas dews than I have been with this summers so far.

Season itself worked out from a snowfall dept. But if you enjoy some periodic winter that is trackable and lasts more than a week.....the last several years have been tough.