• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

2-3 inches over 8 hours is not enough to lay down and overcome ground temps with low rates for ktri.  I would love to make a trip to gatlinburg however

It’s difficult to say if it will or will not. We rarely see 70 degrees to 25 degrees in 6 hours followed by heavy snow. If this was mostly daytime event I would absolutely agree with you but IMO 25 degrees at night in March is no different than 25 degrees in January but I 100% agree that 25 degrees during the day in March is nothing like 25 degrees during the day in January. I just don’t think we know.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

It’s difficult to say if it will or will not. We rarely see 70 degrees to 25 degrees in 6 hours followed by heavy snow. If this was mostly daytime event I would absolutely agree with you but IMO 25 degrees at night in March is no different than 25 degrees in January but I 100% agree that 25 degrees during the day in March is nothing like 25 degrees during the day in January. I just don’t think we know.

It really is coming in at the perfect time. The ground has several hours without direct sunlight before the snow starts. The sun is the real killer this time of year. I am curious how fast this all melts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas Lang said:

NAM seems to be showing less precip and looking weaker. 

nam-218-all-chattanooga-total_snow_kuchera-7118800.png

19 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Where? With a flatter system, a warm layer shouldn’t be a big deal.

The 12km NAM. But I think it is just that it looks drier in the southern valley. The snow totals just had that "look" to me. But that was before the caffeine kicked in. I have just been warm nosed to death in Roane county so now I see that boogeyman everywhere! ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigbald said:

2-3 inches over 8 hours is not enough to lay down and overcome ground temps with low rates for ktri.  I would love to make a trip to gatlinburg however

There's more to it than just the pattern and systems "always" forecasting snowfall lower amounts in the KTRI SWVA Area recently.

The Model's ingest previous systems track, intensity, precip/snowfall data from numerous NWS and Coop affiliated Stations. January's pattern with these parameters has left a fingerprint with them.

Also, there's data flowing into the System from a local Station in Pennington gap. It is in a terrible location to reflect the area's weather. It also doesn't meet NWS siting location Guidelines as it's TH Sensors are just 10-15 feet from a metal structure. Also, the city employees man it and they are less than caring, so to speak.

This is the only official station between Middlesboro and KTRI. There's your reflection on Model's.

• Like 6

If these have already been posted, my apologies.  To me, modeling doesn't seem a lot different than yesterday.  The problem is that modeling just can't predict all of the chaotic bands of snow which develop.  They may be well having trouble with the jet streak.  The slightest difference in that feature may be causing the model swings - just a guess/hypothesis to be tested.

Screen_Shot_2022-03-11_at_11.16.09_AM.pn
Screen_Shot_2022-03-11_at_11.15.16_AM.pn

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

Wonder if the system is more robust than what the models are initializing at, could have big ramifications downstream

If a system is going to bust high, spring is the time.  For five years I lived in JC, seemed like many March snows over-performed.  Not saying that will happen, but the proximity to the warm waters of the GOM is good.  One other thing I meant to mention in relation to the jet streak being tough to model and that causing variations...I do wonder if when the precip is lower if there is convection along the GOM.  That will shut off the spigot in a hurry.

• Like 2

What was initially modeled for that region AK? 

Going to be interested to see how this thing develops, especially in the daytime. That sun is intense. Warm outside in the sun, but as soon as cloud cover happens it feels cool enough for a jacket with the wind. Encouraging to see strong totals. 

• Like 1

While waiting for the Euro, let's look at the last run. I was looking at the snow depth versus snowfall. I know this is a concern (melting snow, warm ground, etc). If NW Arkansas has spots of 4 inches this thing is a big over performer. 

Below is the snowfall (total snow) versus depth. The depth should be light in AK right now according to the Euro. Like 1 inch max. There is a little more total snow on the snow map (2.5 inches), but it is still not as much as the reports. Curious to see what the 12z shows to compare. Correction incoming? 

ecmwf-deterministic-se-snow_depth-7118800.png

ecmwf-deterministic-se-total_snow_kuchera-7140400.png

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic