• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

1 minute ago, Runman292 said:

Is the WSW criteria different between southeast TN and NE TN? They literally have the same amounts predicted, but one area has a WSW and the other has a WWA.

No, the criteria is generally always the same in each CWA. It's different in Georgia vs Chattanooga but usually the same for all of MRX's area.

Point forecast for MBY

Tonight

Rain showers before 1am, then snow showers. Low around 19. Blustery, with a west wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north 15 to 20 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches possible.

Saturday

Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 25. Wind chill values between 4 and 9. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

19 minutes ago, John1122 said:

No, the criteria is generally always the same in each CWA. It's different in Georgia vs Chattanooga but usually the same for all of MRX's area.

Just found this on MRX's website. Th3 critera is actually different based on location. The central and southern valley are in the 3" or greater zone, while the "horseshoe" counties are in the 4" or greater zone. That is the reason why NE TN is under an advisory and not a warning.

Snow_WWA.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Runman292 said:

Just found this on MRX's website. Th3 critera is actually different based on location. The central and southern valley are in the 3" or greater zone, while the "horseshoe" counties are in the 4" or greater zone. That is the reason why NE TN is under an advisory and not a warning.

Snow_WWA.png

That must have changed recently.

I am under a winter storm warning and my detailed forcast calls for less than one inch possible throughout the event in West Knoxville.  I love how one part of the National Weather Service  doesnt know what the other part is doing.  I must say if that is all I get It would be on par with what has happened all year here.

@jrips27

I just thought of another possibility for you:

https://parks.ky.gov/corbin/parks/resort/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park

I rented a cabin there to try and chase a storm in 2019. Storm didn't work out, but it's a pretty place. One of the few places you can see a moonbow on clear nights. The cabins are basically their own little hotel rooms and they have a larger resort hotel that reminds me of Bryce Canyon National Park's.  It is only about 15 - 20 minutes off the interstate. The last 10 minutes or so is on a 2 lane state route, so not sure how quickly they will plow it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AMZ8990 said:

If north alabama gets blasted with a huge snow again and I get nothing I’m gonna be furious.  Lol

May this storm overperform for everyone! I’m amped to see how fast the temps change across the Tennesse Valley as it moves in-

• Like 1

Looks like modeling is bumping up totals at TRI.  I am assuming that MRX derived those WSWs from the 0z run.  About half of the model runs(during the past 3-4 days) are leaving less snow up this way comparatively to other locals.  TRI is on the eastern envelope of the storm totals.  Those shifted slightly eastward at 6z.  They can easily upgrade or downgrade a WWA...so not a bad call on their part.  My guess is they will wait for another suite before thinking about changes.  Again, good call as modeling seems to be on-again and off-again.  Should the models hold to the bigger totals at 12z, I would think there is potential for an upgrade.  Interestingly, I don't think the WSW have verified (generally speaking) in NE TN all winter.  So, understandably the winter trend this winter likely makes them skittish - it does me as well.

Just check the NMB, and that looks like what MRX is using.  It lags by one model run, meaning it uses the blend from the previous suite which was the 0z one.  The 12z blend should be higher.  Again, that is the right call.  It is easy to adjust should models continue those significant adjustments.  Plus, it is a Saturday morning when commutes are low.  

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic