• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

What even is that little closed off isobar SE of Knoxville that the GFS thinks it sees? Some kind of meso low?

U0eeXlA.png

I seen that and was wondering about that. It lines up well with that enhanced area to its NW. this might help with GOM convection

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Anyone have the GFS sleet map? It shows a strong burst of sleet on the leading edge of the precip. 

Yeah. I was actually looking at the 3k NAM and there is almost a half inch of sleet in a lot of areas. GFS seems to think less (.20). Adding both with snow maps for reference. 

gfs-deterministic-chattanooga-sleet_total-7097200.png

nam-nest-ky-sleet_total-7093600.png

nam-nest-ky-total_snow_kuchera-7118800.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Out of curiosity does anyone remember the last decent snow in March for East TN? I’m having trouble remembering one in recent years. 
This is going purely off memory but I "think" on March 25th, 2009 or 2010 we received some heavy, wet snow in Chattanooga. Temps were upper 30's and it would dump heavy snow for 30 minutes, temps would crash to 33° and we would pick up a quick 1/2"-1" of heavy, wet snow. It would stop for awhile and temp would climb back to the upper 30's. Snow again and temps drop to 33. I think we ended up with 2" of sloppy wetness that didn't stick around for more than 4 or 5 hours.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John1122 said:

That sleet burst, if it happens, will greatly aid in snow sticking. Even 1/4th inch would be huge. 

Yeah a quarter of an inch of sleet is actually quite a lot and would make a nice little sheet for the snow. It does not melt as quickly in marginal temps. 

3 minutes ago, Runman292 said:

Screenshot_20220310-174616_Facebook.jpg

This was my largest snow of the year with close to 2.5 inches in Knoxville. 

• Like 2

Another 1993 flashback. WVLT met said "don't believe these big totals you're seeing shared on social media of model out puts. No way it is going to happen."  Eerily reminiscent of Matt Hinkin's famous statement in 1993 about not believing the 12+ inch totals and blizzard talk being thrown about. He said 6 inches max back then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Just seen something you don’t see every day…. Going down Kingston Pk near campus and in front of me there was a guy mowing, a girl running in shorts and a salt truck treating the road.

It’s the four seasons lol

• Like 1

I’m honestly a little surprised at the winter storm watch. I expected the typical valley winter product black hole. I think that indicates they are at least considering a higher end event, even down here. 
Agree I expected the routine, WSW mountains and plateau, WWA I-40 north and if anything a special weather statement southern valley. Though I was expecting that before the 18z runs, which have really bumped up significantly this evening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic