• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

56 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Agree thats an evening rush mess if its really those temps at that hour with precip still falling.  

Sorry, but temps of 30-32F will not lead to icing on any well traveled paved surface (especially treated ones, which will be most of them) during daylight and even after sunset.  Yes, there could be a glaze on lightly traveled neighborhood roads, driveways, and sidewalks, but there will very likely not be any widespread icing event on the secondary and major roads in NYC, LI, CNJ and NENJ (south of 80).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It only takes a light glaze to cause major problems. Look what happened last week in NJ.

Much different setup though. I would have never gotten today off as a child growing up. Hate to sound like the “back in my day” person but it is shocking how low the threshold is to close schools now. 

3 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I understand about being cautious but the number of closures today is absolutely ridiculous. Roads are still warm from last night plus they are out salting. Doesn’t really turn bitter until well after dinner in most of the metro. (Normal dinner time not City 8-10PM dinner time)

If this thing busted the other way it would've been atrocious north of 78. I think with snow you've got more wiggle room to be wrong, but you don't want to be a little wrong in the wrong direction with ice. 

Just now, JustinRP37 said:

Much different setup though. I would have never gotten today off as a child growing up. Hate to sound like the “back in my day” person but it is shocking how low the threshold is to close schools now. 

I think it's a byproduct of our modern litigious society.  No one wants to face backlash if someone gets into an accident because they felt compelled to go to work or school.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I understand about being cautious but the number of closures today is absolutely ridiculous. Roads are still warm from last night plus they are out salting. Doesn’t really turn bitter until well after dinner in most of the metro. (Normal dinner time not City 8-10PM dinner time)

2 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

I think it's a byproduct of our modern litigious society.  No one wants to face backlash if someone gets into an accident because they felt compelled to go to work or school.  

Yup I agree..and having the remote option to fall back on makes it an easier decision for some places. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

Yup. They are always worried about that and err on the side of caution when they hear the possibilty of ice especially when schools haven't had that many days off due to weather so far. It does look stupid to the public when it's a non event though. Up here it was absolutely necessary to close schools. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It only takes a light glaze to cause major problems. Look what happened last week in NJ.

Yea some storms are pretty obvious going to not warrant closures like the anafront event we had lol. This is more legit because it was a very tricky forecast and  as opposed to snow even a small amount of ice can be a big problem. 

5 minutes ago, dWave said:

Yup I agree..and having the remote option to fall back on makes it an easier decision for some places. 

Except the thing is very few schools are doing remote learning during “snow days”.

10 minutes ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

If this thing busted the other way it would've been atrocious north of 78. I think with snow you've got more wiggle room to be wrong, but you don't want to be a little wrong in the wrong direction with ice. 

That’s the thing though we knew around the city when you wake up to 54 degrees and a relatively clear radar that you could have gotten in at least a half day of school. Also odd is many districts in Westchester have used almost all their snow days already. 

5 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Yup. They are always worried about that and err on the side of caution when they hear the possibilty of ice especially when schools haven't had that many days off due to weather so far. It does look stupid to the public when it's a non event though. Up here it was absolutely necessary to close schools. 

Yes but up there is a different world, you were below freezing at 10 pm. The city is still not below freezing.  

3 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Except the thing is very few schools are doing remote learning during “snow days”.

That’s the thing though we knew around the city when you wake up to 54 degrees and a relatively clear radar that you could have gotten in at least a half day of school. Also odd is many districts in Westchester have used almost all their snow days already. 

Much of Westchester hit freezing by 8 am when the front passed through. It wasn't predictable that temps would stay around 32 instead of plummet into the 20s like some models had showed. 

7 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

The official forecast calls for freezing rain and sleet to linger into the evening. If they had closed schools at say noon and the temperatures were a degree or two colder it would have been a big mistake.

4 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Much of Westchester hit freezing by 8 am when the front passed through. It wasn't predictable that temps would stay around 32 instead of plummet into the 20s like some models had showed. 

Finally broke the mark and hit 29 degrees here. Thought I was going to be in the 20's about three hours ago.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What a difference it makes being under 30 degrees. Literally everything here is now coated in ice. 

Yep I had a hunch below 30 would be the magic number. I've seen decent ice accretion at 30-32 but almost always in early morning or evening setups on cold ground, not this type of setup. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yep I had a hunch below 30 would be the magic number 

Pretty much everything that falls here on out will accumulate. The Euro and HRRR says that Rockland still gets 0.20-0.30" liquid over the next 6 hours. That's going to build up fast especially considering the light intensity.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Pretty much everything that falls here on out will accumulate. The Euro and HRRR says that Rockland still gets 0.20-0.30" liquid over the next 6 hours. That's going to build up fast especially considering the light intensity.

Yep getting colder now, I see 20s now finally have pushed SE of the Tappan Zee.