• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Here's an intermediate update as of 11:30am, the heavy snow has ended and it's back to light to occasionally moderate.  The heavy burst, which lasted less than 20 minutes, deposited only another 0.2" giving a storm total of 2.2".  I think there's partial melting or compacting going on even though the temp, which dropped to 27.3, has risen back up to 27.9.  The winds are definitely beginning to pick up, now easily gusting over 20mph and sustained around 10mph.  Not much in the way of blowing snow so far.

According to Blizz, just 20 miles east of me, it is a whole different world with the heavy snow and blowing snow.

At 12:00 noon it continues to snow lightly and there is some blowing snow taking place now.  Since my report 30 minutes ago only an additional 0.1" of new snow has fallen.  Since 11:00am an additional 0.3" has fallen bringing the storm total to 2.3".  The temp is beginning to fall again and after rising to 28 it has fallen back to 27.0.  The pressure has leveled off at 1001 millibars and has been steady for the past several hours.  Wind continue to ramp up, sustained between 10-15mph, gusting occasionally to 25mph.  Judging by the radar it looks like the snow portion of this storm is about to rapidly wind down for me, meaning that my storm total will likely be just under 2.5".

>>Yes, my NWS feed is also screwed up.  It says that I am still in a winter storm watch (the one from yesterday) as well as a winter storm warning.  Interesting.

We picked up about an 1" in the last 90 min.  Snow is very light right now though there is another band forming to the west...a fairly large one actually.  The wind is picking up so it looks like it is still snowing hard at times. My measure lamp, that Cashtown did not like, shows 7" but going to go with 6 per my every 1-2 hour ob's.   Just finished shoveling and it is heavy which is going to lead to an observation.   Roads temps really are affecting things as I was shoveling 4-5" off and getting puddles under that snow despite tt being in the mid 20's right now.  The march sun is not causing puddles to form under the snow.   Heat coming up from the bottom. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonesy56 said:

Strange how we had some of our best rates here in Linglestown over the past 45 minutes with the worst radar presentation of the event.. not complaining, great flake size, accumulating nicely.

Was going to say the same. Winds cranking up now too. Watching it accumulate and promptly melt on the sidewalk is a fun game. It’s about half-covered. 

I had hoped this would be my 2nd shovel storm of the season but alas not needed. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The march sun is not causing puddles to form under the snow.   Heat coming up from the bottom. 

Interesting theory.  I think it is some of both.  I have a paver checkerboard beside my driveway and dark ones are clear, the light ones still have snow.  They are not that thick so unlikely the darker ones retained heat for an extended period of time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

That line just arrived and it is accompanied by fairly high winds.  Gust to 39.  Snow is Moderate to Sn+.  Hope it makes it east for everyone, 

This band looks legit & extends back to Cumberland,MD & Bedford, PA.

Hopefully everyone gets a couple more hours of snow.

Moderate snow continues in Marysville.

4 minutes ago, Festus said:

Interesting theory.  I think it is some of both.  I have a paver checkerboard beside my driveway and dark ones are clear, the light ones still have snow.  They are not that thick so unlikely the darker ones retained heat for an extended period of time.  

In my case, the snow on top was light and is blowing around.  It was the slush layer underneath that never froze despite the temps.  It supported snow laying on it but something kept it from freezing on the bottom.   The roads here have 2-4" on them still (side roads).    

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

In my case, the snow on top was light and is blowing around.  It was the slush layer underneath that never froze despite the temps.  It supposed snow laying on it but something kept it from freezing.  

Good stuff!  Shows all the factors involved in managing roads conditions and deploying assets accordingly.

• Like 1