Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I’ll have to try that technique next time lol.  I measured 3.6” on my official snowboard at 10a

You know my measuring is approx.  LOL.  But the snow lays on those lights immediately and accums well in that snow cone like lump.  Similar to a patio table.  No melting from the ground temps. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well the Nam is either off its rocker, or you have plenty of snow to go.  Would end up with more than me.  It could be off its rocker. 

I thinks it’s just due to banding. If you are stuck between bands, your rates will go down for a time.

Hours of snow to go in the LSV.

Hopefully everyone cashes in before we are done!

Well the Nam is either off its rocker, or you have plenty of snow to go.  Would end up with more than me.  It could be off its rocker. 

I wonder...is the arctic front draining dry air into this system and eroding the moisture flow? I'm trying to figure out a good reason why most of us east of you are really underperforming. I won't end up with more than you - some of what I did have is melting. I have less than 2" OTG. 

You know my measuring is approx.  LOL.  But the snow lays on those lights immediately and accums well in that snow cone like lump.  Similar to a patio table.  No melting from the ground temps. 

I gotcha.   Similar to measuring off a deck, the snow has a dome effect which magnifies the totals.  I was told not to measure off the deck even though it makes for a good pic.    

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I wonder...is the arctic front draining dry air into this system and eroding the moisture flow? I'm trying to figure out a good reason why most of us east of you are really underperforming. I won't end up with more than you - some of what I did have is melting. I have less than 2" OTG. 

I said more than me because it snows there 3-4 hours longer than here (at the end).  

Just now, Cashtown_Coop said:

I gotcha.   Similar to measuring off a deck, the snow has a dome effect which magnifies the totals.  I was told not to measure off the deck even though it makes for a good pic.    

Yea, its not exact but its not far off.  I just walked out to the road and its definitely close to 5" on the grass and 4" on the driveway.   I would think in  a scenario where we were talking 20-30", it would not be very accurate.    But I do not do a snow board so all my numbers are estimates.  Going to be some tough shoveling shortly (with the wind).

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Understood. 

A couple of my kids texted me a little while ago asking me why I told them to stay off the roads today. Dad isn't looking so good with that call. LOL

Well MU told you to stay off the roads.  LOL.  I will say that I thought some of this did get overblown a bit as to Blizzard comments....setting up a vision of a mid January day with blizzard conditions.  But in the areas that did get 4-6" so far, the side roads are covered with it and not great travelling.  If no drifting occurs later then the over all effect on day to day life will be greatly less worrisome than thought. 

I'm not going to attempt to measure as I have a small property, and the wind I'm sure wouldn't give me an accurate measurement. Eyeballing, though, I'd say a good 2 to 3 inches here. Snow intensity peaks and wanes, but has been at least moderate the whole time. My backyard wind gust so far is 17.2 mph, so likely in a more open location, winds are probably gusting 25 to 30 mph.

Well MU told you to stay off the roads.  LOL.  I will say that I thought some of this did get overblown a bit as to Blizzard comments....setting up a vision of a mid January day with blizzard conditions.  But in the areas that did get 4-6" so far, the side roads are covered with it and not great travelling.  If no drifting occurs later then the over all effect on day to day life will be greatly less worrisome than thought. 

That's very true. And he was hyping blizzard conditions pretty hard. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

That's very true. And he was hyping blizzard conditions pretty hard. 

It was a lot of people hyping it so not really pointing at him other than your comment about your kids.  You were just passing on info :-).   But I will also agree that it has never snowed super hard today.  No puking fatties, or 2" an hour rates.  It snowed much harder in other events earlier this winter.   March '93 this is not.  LOL. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It was a lot of people hyping it so not really pointing at him other than your comment about your kids.  You were just passing on info :-).   But I will also agree that it has never snowed super hard today.  No puking fatties, or 2" an hour rates.  It snowed much harder in other events earlier this winter.   March '93 this is not.  LOL. 

I'll admit I definitely jumped in hook, line and sinker. I envisioned a completely different scene than what I'm looking at in reality. 

Finally!  Best flakes and heaviest the snow has been the whole storm.  I'm in that heavy band now.  Started about 10 minutes ago.

As 11:00am the temperature was down to 27.5 degrees and heavy snow was falling.  During the past hour 0.3" of new snow accumulated...all of that in the past 15 minutes.  Storm total now is 2.0".  Well, at least my grass is completely covered now...lol.  Amazingly my street has been melting and has very little snow left on it.

9 minutes ago, Festus said:

Today is the sun equivalent of September 30th.  Amazing how much solar radiation makes it through even the thickest cloud deck.

I don't really understand the science behind this, but my station currently is reporting 181.3 watts/m².

11 minutes ago, Festus said:

Today is the sun equivalent of September 30th.  Amazing how much solar radiation makes it through even the thickest cloud deck.

One thing that really stands out right now - in mid March, it's either ripping or dripping. If this was January, I'd have a few inches on the ground that would be slowly building with the light snow. Now, it has to be at least moderate to heavy to accumulate. If not, we drip. I'm at 28.4 degrees currently - I was just outside and it sounded like a shower running in front of the house. I will no shoveling to do - all paved surfaces are wet, and most of the snow that was on the cars is gone. 

• Like 1

Special Weather Statement

Saturday, 12 March, 10:50 EST

Saturday, 12 March, 11:45 EST

Source: U.S. National Weather Service

...HEAVY SNOW BAND... HAZARDS...A band of heavy snow accompanied by northwest wind gusts up to 35 MPH which can rapidly reduce visibility to less than a quarter of a mile. This band of heavy snow is producing very heavy snowfall rates of around 2 inches per hour. LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 1045 AM EST, a band of heavy snow was along a line extending from near Laporte to 11 miles east of Montoursville to Selinsgrove to 10 miles southwest of Newport to Greencastle and moving east at 30 MPH. THIS BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL BE NEAR... Kratzerville, Kreamer and Hughesville around 1050 AM EST. Selinsgrove, Hummels Wharf and Shamokin Dam around 1055 AM EST. Sunbury, Biggertown and Iola around 1100 AM EST. Eyers Grove and Rebuck around 1105 AM EST. Duncannon, Carroll Valley and Stonington around 1110 AM EST. Trevorton, Marysville and New Buffalo around 1115 AM EST. * For those driving on Interstate 80, this includes areas between the Mile Run and Nescopek exits, specifically from mile markers 203 to 247. This includes the following Interstates... The Pennsylvania Turnpike from mile markers 205 to 276. Interstate 78 from mile markers 0 to 8. Interstate 81 from mile markers 0 to 139. Interstate 83 from mile markers 0 to 50. Interstate 180 from mile markers 1 to 19. Interstate 283 from mile markers 0 to 2.

9 minutes ago, Festus said:

Sadly, today is the last day of nature's true time...standard time.  Tomorrow morning at 2:00am we jump forward to 3:00am as daylight saving time begins and lasts for the next 8 months!  It used to be 50/50 with the time split...but then Congress had to stick their nose into it and pull back the start time.  The first time, in the late 80's they pared it back three weeks to the first Sunday in April.  Then they decided that wasn't enough and at some point in the late 90's they pulled it back 3 more weeks to the second Sunday in March.  :weep:  Oh, I forgot, around 15 years ago they delayed the return to standard time by pushing it from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November.