Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I can’t believe that we’re even discussing the possibility of any mixing with the system so far to our east. Incredible. 

Focus is too much on a broad LP....FOCUS on the mid level temps....this is NOT a rapidly deepening lp (at least for now, as depicted by models)...so there is not really a mechanism (dynamic cooling) to potentially overcome the warm air intruding from the Atlantic in the mid levels...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Stash said:

I would think that 700mb low placement on the GFS would be ideal for the SYR area, but it keeps limiting it to the BUF-ROC corridor.  This is terrible for here in ENY but we were out of it early.  I can't think of too many (any?) storms that evolved like this in mid-January, so from a science perspective its interesting.

yeah i haven't dug into the 12Z models (work) but the h7 and h85 low tracks look good for CNY...generically.  NWP is insistent on dryslot effects though for CNY.  Perhaps due to intense banding to the west which concentrates qpf?  Not sure.

A closed mid-level low pivoting across the Gulf Coast will begin to lift northeast late D2 as it moves over GA/SC, and then races northeast to be over NJ by the end of D3. This will be accompanied by an increasingly coupled jet structure downstream of the pivoting trough, with intense ascent through diffluence aiding in the development and then strengthening of a coastal low pressure moving northeast D2-3. The guidance has come into much better agreement with the placement of this low lifting just onshore the coast, roughly along the I-95 corridor. As this low initially develops, mid-level confluence over the Mid-Atlantic will help reinforce a wedge of high pressure down the east side of the Appalachians in a typical Cold Air Damming (CAD) setup. As the low strengthens, moisture will surge northwestward on robust 290K isentropic ascent characterized by mixing ratios of 4-6 g/kg, and a theta-e ridge blossoming into an impressive TROWAL around the low pressure center. The combination of impressive ascent and deep moisture will produce a significant to major winter storm from the Southern Appalachians through Upstate New York. For snowfall, heavy snow on D2 should be confined to the Southern Appalachians where moist upglide will encounter an atmospheric column that is only cold enough for snow in the higher terrain of NE GA, Upstate SC, and the NC mountains. WPC probabilities on D2 are 40-60% for 4+ inches as the snow does not really begin until late in the period. However, by D3, the low begins to race northward pulling ample moisture with it an spreading snowfall across much of the east coast. While the low track along I-95 will allow WAA to cause p-type to transition to rain from snow well inland, this will not be the case in the higher terrain where WPC probabilities for 6 inches are above 70% from near Asheville, NC through the Laurel Highlands of PA, and it is likely many locations will receive more than 1 foot of snow. To the east, while a changeover to sleet, freezing rain, and rain is likely creating a sharp gradient in snowfall, impressive leading WAA will likely produce several inches of snowfall within the I-95 metropolitan areas before changeover. Further to the west, an impressive deformation axis is likely to pivot from eastern KY through the eastern OH Valley and into Upstate NY, producing a high likelihood for at least 6 inches of snowfall.

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think this is a good dynamic way to look at things. You want to be near the northwest edge of the 700mb jet where the mid level lift is maximized. Anywhere within the strong speed zone is going to at considerable risk of mixing and the dryslot. 

rgem-all-ne-z700_speed-2388400.png

rgem-all-ne-z700_speed-2399200.png

rgem-all-ne-z700_speed-2410000.png

rgem-all-ne-z700_speed-2420800.png

rgem-all-ne-z700_speed-2431600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-z700_speed-2388400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-z700_speed-2399200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-z700_speed-2410000.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-z700_speed-2420800.png

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-z700_speed-2431600.png

NIA is the winner then.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Focus is too much on a broad LP....FOCUS on the mid level temps....this is NOT a rapidly deepening lp (at least for now, as depicted by models)...so there is not really a mechanism (dynamic cooling) to potentially overcome the warm air intruding from the Atlantic in the mid levels...

Looked at text output for 12Z NAM....it has a warm layer at 800-850 mb  (+4C) at hr 72.  All other hours are subzero.  72 hr UVV is (+20.6!!) Ugh.  KSYR gets 0.61" qpf up to that hr.  After hr 72 another 0.43" falls for a total of 1.04".  How much of that is PL?  No idea but if i had to guess, if all snow this amt of qpf would be about 11-12" of snow minus a 3 hr period of PL...so i'd take off ~3" from snow totals.  So maybe 8-10"?  Per NAM that is.

Looking at the Ukie and trying to determine the differences. Only thing I could really find is that it doesn't seem to have that double barrel LP look to it - keeps a single (and stronger) LP the entire run (purer Miller A), keeping a narrower precip field. The others seem to transfer towards the convection just below our latitude. 

Question is, which scenario plays out, Miller A vs hybrid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Looked at text output for 12Z NAM....it has a warm layer at 800-850 mb  (+4C) at hr 72.  All other hours are subzero.  72 hr UVV is (+20.6!!) Ugh.  KSYR gets 0.61" qpf up to that hr.  After hr 72 another 0.43" falls for a total of 1.04".  How much of that is PL?  No idea but if i had to guess, if all snow this amt of qpf would be about 11-12" of snow minus a 3 hr period of PL...so i'd take off ~3" from snow totals.  So maybe 8-10"?  Per NAM that is.

Meh. I'm going with 4 to 8 inches of snow/sleet/graupel. Double to triple that in snowfall 30 to 50 miles to our NW.

Just now, tim123 said:

No I don't. 

I’m not going to pull up all the failed forecast my friend you definitely do. There are 50 posts of “I can see 4-8” of les fluff 1:30 ratios,  I’ve seen it before.”

Check ROc totals the next day 1.2”, and that’s with rocs slanted stick measuring techniques. ;) 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I’m not going to pull up all the failed forecast my friend you definitely do. There are 50 posts of “I can see 4-8” of les fluff 1:30 ratios,  I’ve seen it before.”

Check ROc totals the next day 1.2”, and that’s with rocs slanted stick measuring techniques. ;) 

Taught from the master.

• Like 1