• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

That 4-9” on the winter storm watch is a bit worrisome - I was expecting/hoping for 6-12”. If anyone wouldn’t take totals in the higher end of the range they’d be crazy, but 4-5” would sting after being in such a good position for so long. I know the dry slotting and mixing probably won’t be nailed down until much closer to the event, but east solutions are still in play (GEFS ensemble is still not great and the Ukie shifted that way overnight).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That 4-9” on the winter storm watch is a bit worrisome - I was expecting/hoping for 6-12”. If anyone wouldn’t take totals in the higher end of the range they’d be crazy, but 4-5” would sting after being in such a good position for so long. I know the dry slotting and mixing probably won’t be nailed down until much closer to the event, but east solutions are still in play (GEFS ensemble is still not great and the Ukie shifted that way overnight).

I wouldn’t worry too much. Still 48 hours out. It’s easier for them to up totals then to scare everyone and then drop the totals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Hopefully the Euro is overestimating the dual low idea. 
Really wants to muddy up the whole storm. SMH

Yeah, that look is starting to irritate me, that needs to die off quicker / further south, or just shift the whole mess east and move the nice deform band in eastern OH over us.  If we finally get a decent shot from a storm coming up out of the South and some convoluted delayed messy transfer puts us in some localized shaft zone that will make waiting another 20 years for an inland runner all the more painful. Still plenty of time for minor changes that could improve that situation, and verbatim the area affected by that probably still gets at least 6, but you never know how that's going to play out and I'd rather it just be one of the negative variables that gets removed.

9 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. Still 48 hours out. It’s easier for them to up totals then to scare everyone and then drop the totals.

Yeah how often have we seen them adjust the totals as the storm approached. Yeah the Euro is concerning but we have seen enough now casting busts to know that it may not be the final outcome.

56 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Has the GFS been the better model this winter so far?  Seems it picked up the last two events better and earlier than the others, especially the D.C./Virginia/I-95 mess.

I’ve been overall pretty impressed with the GFS’s ability to ferret things out this winter. We’ll see if it’s just as successful when it’s leading the charge for snow.

• Like 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

Verbatim, PIT airport itself backs into a low-end warning event, but that’s ugly.

Yeah still a decent thump but man would that be a sloppy storm. The mid levels warm a lot and screw over basically all of PA. Is this the NAM being the NAM or is it on to something...