Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

40 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It looks like they took the first paragraph of the previous discussion, reworded it slightly (it must have been too long), and didn’t carry any of the discussion about the Sun-Mon storm from the 3:30 version.

Wow, yeah the discussion I posted above is completely removed now.. That's weird, I thought it did a decent job of describing the situation and uncertainty that still exists. 

I remember for awhile there were a couple guys (Fries / Booker) that would put their names at the end of the discussions. Fries were always fantastic when interesting weather was afoot. I was at a Skywarn class and even mentioned how much I enjoyed reading discussions when he posted them to the instructor and he was like oh yeah we here that a lot from the local news meteorologist etc. too. Not sure if he moved on or if some directive to keep the discussions shorter / more generic was issued or what. I won't ever bash our local office, but you can see compared to other offices the discussions are usually minimal. Maybe they take the approach of keeping discussions at a high level so as to not bog down the general public in meteorological jargon etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mailman said:
Another tool to look at. the ECMWF EFI for snow. Clearly showing the signal for heavy snow west of the I-95. This is from 00Z and like all guidance will jump around. However, you take from this that there is indeed a significant snowstorm coming.

FI_MYLkXoAcdmBh?format=png&name=small

Heaviest over us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Wow, yeah the discussion I posted above is completely removed now.. That's weird, I thought it did a decent job of describing the situation and uncertainty that still exists. 

I remember for awhile there were a couple guys (Fries / Booker) that would put their names at the end of the discussions. Fries were always fantastic when interesting weather was afoot. I was at a Skywarn class and even mentioned how much I enjoyed reading discussions when he posted them to the instructor and he was like oh yeah we here that a lot from the local news meteorologist etc. too. Not sure if he moved on or if some directive to keep the discussions shorter / more generic was issued or what. I won't ever bash our local office, but you can see compared to other offices the discussions are usually minimal. Maybe they take the approach of keeping discussions at a high level so as to not bog down the general public in meteorological jargon etc.

I remember Fries. He did write good discussions. Frankly, I’m not met bashing either, I think our local office does an incredible job given that they have to forecast in a region like this, where they have the northern lake effect snowbelts, the Pittsburgh area and all of our climate quirks, the mountains of PA and WV, and even eastern Ohio, which seems to be different enough from Pittsburgh to make forecasting tricky. Writing the discussion is the least of their worries, and it shows.

Just now, KPITSnow said:

At this point I’ll take the euro, gfs OP, Canadians, over the icon and GEFS.

Who knows though. We’ve seen these things disappear on us.

It's like Lucy holding the football I'm just waiting for the moment when it gets pulled away. I guess when you are snake bit so much that until it's falling we have doubts. 

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

Yep. Was worried about a shift east but looks really similar to 6z

Yes, I agree very similar. I kept toggling back and forth to previous run, if anything maybe it was a little slower. That dryslot is still precariously close, but that won't have any chance of getting nailed down until short term. Like I said before, might be best if we get a little of a jog east so that is more over central PA and even still if you did get caught in that it still a respectable snow storm.

• Like 1