• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

January was indeed a cold month here in Chester County. In fact we finished with an average temperature of just 26.6 degrees, our coldest January since the 26.2 average temp back in 2015. Overall it was the 35th coldest January since Chester County records began 129 years ago back in 1894. Snowfall wise we finished with 12.9" of snow which is 2.5" above normal. Precipitation (including liquid equivalent snow) was 3.81" which is 0.25" above normal. Seasonal snowfall stands at 12.9" which is 3.8" below our normal season to date snowfall through the end of January which is 16.7"

image.png.0c5df03486c6d13ac9f4d43366500443.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GEFS strongly support the op. May be even slightly better for frozen.

gfs-ens_mslpa_us_15.thumb.png.4415a7fb6d6460046deb55ed5b35d009.pnggfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_16.thumb.png.8fc44cbeae73e589f57f45e8ae3d3f0e.png 

I will be honest. I cant remember a rain to fzra to sleet ending as snow before. Im sure it has happened several times. I just can't recall it.....probably because it just isn't a very common situation. Someone mentioned 1994. Interesting.

Cmc got colder and ukie also

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GEFS strongly support the op. May be even slightly better for frozen.

I will be honest. I cant remember a rain to fzra to sleet ending as snow before. Im sure it has happened several times. I just can't recall it.....probably because it just isn't a very common situation. Someone mentioned 1994. Interesting.

Found this from March 2015 - slightly different but rain changing to snow with a frontal passage, wound up with 6 - 8" or more area wide. Obs thread was a fun read. Lots of hand wringing waiting for the change over, although not a lot of sleet.

Screenshot_20220201-033207_copy_1406x1531_copy_585x637.png.203fc8c4e87fa7819029ccfcc86b923f.png

• Like 2

The key is the strength of that high. Gfs has it at 1044 while the euro and nam are weaker with it at 1040(ecm) and 1038(nam) respectively. Strength of that high is going to determine the outcome of frozen. I’m impressed the GFS is holding serve but still skeptical. Btw those TT snow maps are trash, here are the pivotal which don’t show sleet as snow. Don’t want anyone thinking they have a shot of a foot out of this thing. Could be 2-4” of sleet though. 

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

The key is the strength of that high. Gfs has it at 1044 while the euro and nam are weaker with it at 1040(ecm) and 1038(nam) respectively. Strength of that high is going to determine the outcome of frozen. I’m impressed the GFS is holding serve but still skeptical. Btw those TT snow maps are trash, here are the pivotal which don’t show sleet as snow. Don’t want anyone thinking they have a shot of a foot out of this thing. Could be 2-4” of sleet though. 

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

Sleet accums still count towards snowfall totals, but im sure you are already aware of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anthonyweather said:

Glad to see Sunday is still there 

42FE8AB5-A32F-4FEE-BB94-FE34F754A116.png

F4A75B06-D31B-4DB3-9CA5-F40FEFD95D94.png

King GFS led the way (albeit a touch overdone) and signaled the frozen end to Thursday-Friday and others now following. Thus, I tend to lean to the GFS for Sunday. Especially considering the usual progressive NAVGEM is on board. Laugh as you want, that is guidance with a good red flag. If you use these tools for guidance,  things can be deciphered and figured out. Used verbatim then setting up to fail. Just my $.02

7 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Weather bug has to be the worst ever. 

I betcha many of us started off using weatherbug then quickly realized it sucked and useless.

Hoping for a ice storm Friday, it's been a while. Exploding transformers, cracking/creaking branches and limbs w/a shiny coating on everything ...the whole 9 yards. 

38F/sunny

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Ice storms cause damage so no one really needs to see that happen. I'm flying back 4 PM Friday. I'm gonna probably just stay down here til Monday I'm thinking

So do blizzards, hurricanes, severe weather/t-storms, tornados, flooding etc. This is a weather board so you take/follow what mother nature throws your way...

38F

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2