Centreville, Easton, Denton, New Brunswick, Trenton, Pennsville,
Glassboro, Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Holly,
Millville, Media, Philadelphia, Norristown, Lansdale,
Morrisville, and Doylestown
313 AM EST Thu Jan 27 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 9
  inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...The eastern shore of Maryland, northern and central
  Delaware, far southeastern Pennsylvania, and much of central and
  southern New Jersey.

* WHEN...From Friday evening through Saturday evening.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow is expected to begin Friday evening in
  Delmarva and southern New Jersey, spreading northward overnight
  into Saturday morning. Snow may be heavy at times through early
  afternoon before diminishing late in the day. Winds may generate
  areas of blowing snow and low visibilities at times. The storm
  total snow forecast remains very uncertain, so stay tuned to the
  latest forecasts.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, BBasile said:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ

DEZ001-002-MDZ012-015-019-020-NJZ012-015>019-021-PAZ070-071-104-
106-272200-
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0003.220129T0000Z-220130T0000Z/
New Castle-Kent-Kent MD-Queen Annes-Talbot-Caroline-Middlesex-
Mercer-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-Northwestern Burlington-Cumberland-
Delaware-Philadelphia-Eastern Montgomery-Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of Wilmington, Dover, Chestertown,
Centreville, Easton, Denton, New Brunswick, Trenton, Pennsville,
Glassboro, Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Holly,
Millville, Media, Philadelphia, Norristown, Lansdale,
Morrisville, and Doylestown

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 9
  inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...The eastern shore of Maryland, northern and central
  Delaware, far southeastern Pennsylvania, and much of central and
  southern New Jersey.

* WHEN...From Friday evening through Saturday evening.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow is expected to begin Friday evening in
  Delmarva and southern New Jersey, spreading northward overnight
  into Saturday morning. Snow may be heavy at times through early
  afternoon before diminishing late in the day. Winds may generate
  areas of blowing snow and low visibilities at times. The storm
  total snow forecast remains very uncertain, so stay tuned to the
  latest forecasts.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

I came here to say this. I have to confess getting a notification on my phone saying WINTER STORM WATCH felt awesome. Just seeing that notification felt like progress in this desolate dry winter. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

At the surface very early on very wonky shoves surface low 200 miles west then jumps east.  12z should be interesting 

The Euro and NAM were also doing that "hot potato" move of the low from one place to another earlier and it seems it might have to do with some "double-barrel" / pair of lows that were in play.  The earliest depictions had some weak low strolling along the southern U.S. moving due east, and off the coast of FL, and then "something happens" and that low fades and a new low forms off the coast of the Carolinas... And somewhere along the line, there is this far-away interaction in the atmosphere between the remnants of the old low and the newly-formed one and then that whole mess gets dragged up the coast along the jetstream.  You then see what I call a "sloppy" system of convection slapping around a core and periodically stretching and contracting and undulating just off the coast.

I know that description probably sounds silly. :lol: But that is exactly what it "looks like" after running the animations over the past few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The Euro and NAM were also doing that "hot potato" move of the low from one place to another earlier and it seems it might have to do with some "double-barrel" / pair of lows that were in play.  The earliest depictions had some weak low strolling along the southern U.S. moving due east, and off the coast of FL, and then "something happens" and that low fades and a new low forms off the coast of the Carolinas... And somewhere along the line, there is this far-away interaction in the atmosphere between the remnants of the old low and the newly-formed one and then that whole mess gets dragged up the coast along the jetstream.  You then see what I call a "sloppy" system of convection slapping around a core and periodically stretching and contracting and undulating just off the coast.

I know that description probably sounds silly. :lol: But that is exactly what it "looks like" after running the animations over the past few days.

Yes,  in the past sometimes there is this pseudo low out ahead on the stalled baroclinic zone latches onto it thinking that’s the real storm it weakens scoots east then the real storm develops west abs takes over up the coast becoming the dominant storm.  Almost like the models are chasing the wrong storm.  All of that has to be resolved today. 

13 minutes ago, SP said:

I was following a few thread on twitter and within one found this video. Light bulb clicked on …..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!  What that basically does is get into the weeds about how "mother nature" "must come into equilibrium" and shows the mechanisms (and equations) to explain how that happens with "weather".  Adjacent high pressure and low pressure will "move" to try to equalize and come to some sort of "steady state". Same goes for differing temperatures and humidity.  I kind of compare that (as the "macro" application) with what goes on with the ideal gas law too - PV=nRT.

7 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Suprised none of you have started a thread. I'm not on here enough and too much of a weenie to do so. 

Guess the question is now, does the GFS cave back to the JV modles?  

In this forum, people are sometimes afraid to do it lest they jinx it! :lmao:

I know Paul did the last couple.  You could go ahead and start one since we are a bit more then 2 days out from start time.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Suprised none of you have started a thread. I'm not on here enough and too much of a weenie to do so. 

Guess the question is now, does the GFS cave back to the JV modles?  

Got a thread started--figured there's not much to jinx for us PA peeps.

8F

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Thanks!  What that basically does is get into the weeds about how "mother nature" "must come into equilibrium" and shows the mechanisms (and equations) to explain how that happens with "weather".  Adjacent high pressure and low pressure will "move" to try to equalize and come to some sort of "steady state". Same goes for differing temperatures and humidity.  I kind of compare that (as the "macro" application) with what goes on with the ideal gas law too - PV=nRT.

Credit to follow Anthony and his group of contributors. Sure thing get into the weeds but its nice when something clicks every now and then….

Ok, time to rest the brain.

9 minutes ago, SP said:

Credit to follow Anthony and his group of contributors. Sure thing get into the weeds but its nice when something clicks every now and then….

Ok, time to rest the brain.

It's all calculus!  I had to take 3 semesters in college as a chem major and in the case of these models, it's all multi-variable calculus (and then they add the statistics piece in). :lol:

• Weenie 1

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker. Something I noticed(and I’m sure others have too) all of the models that are showing a more easterly track(GFS,Euro etc.) have the low popping far OTS off the Florida coast. None of the Mesos have the low that far off the coast. 

Sorry if this is simple or has already been addressed but what is causing the dramatic difference in where the low sets up? Trying to learn. Thanks!

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, NeS127 said:

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker. Something I noticed(and I’m sure others have too) all of the models that are showing a more easterly track(GFS,Euro etc.) have the low popping far OTS off the Florida coast. None of the Mesos have the low that far off the coast. 

Sorry if this is simple or has already been addressed but what is causing the dramatic difference in where the low sets up? Trying to learn. Thanks!

HM twitted about this last night, mostly likely because some models develop an area of convention off the FL coast. And yesterday when the 18z NAM was a miss, someone in the NE forum noted that blob of convection scoots off to the NE. Our storm forms and chases it, that's why the 18z NAM was a miss.

Is it correct? Just another nowcasting ob to watch.

• Thanks 1

Big transition back to -PNA and eastern ridging is now all but gone on LR ens. Pattern relax kicked to mid Feb now. A few very transient breaks in the BN temps but overall the +PNA is locked in as well as big EPO ridge. Some signs of AO trying to go negative also (went from a ++AO look on LR to neutral to now maybe -AO). Keep this pattern going with the base cold air source depicted and we keep tracking. Nothing stopping us!

gem-ens_z500a_nhem_65.thumb.png.5c9afd9a18baf9c680a25732f0a61545.pnggfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.thumb.png.2d23f28d90f930241e872ce03cdd6305.png

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Nope. Actually this look has improved. The midweek system is warmish and the sacrificial lamb that resets the pattern moving forward. King GFS is honking:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_38.thumb.png.dc1d97d527da5857f8e8f317b9bbf4d2.png

I saw that over-running rain storm for earlier and the Feb 5 - 6 one looks like an ice storm nightmare for the Carolinas! :o

floop-gfs-2022012712.prateptype_cat.conus-12z-feb5-6-storm-01272022.gif

• Like 1