Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

20 minutes ago, Newman said:

The NW Philly burbs and parts of South Central PA have been the screw hole all winter thus far

sfav2_CONUS_2021093012_to_2022013112.png

21 minutes ago, Newman said:

The NW Philly burbs and parts of South Central PA have been the screw hole all winter thus far

Yep, seen here for sure. It happens though and we still have time.

GFS on it's own right now though which is my one concern. CMC/UKMET both are too far north for everyone besides N and W and would be mostly rain for the philly metro area. GFS leading the way or is it overdoing the cold? How often do we see plain rain changing to freezing rain which is what the GFS depicts? You would think it would be more sleet than rain if the cold press is that strong. 

zr_acc.us_ne.png

13 minutes ago, RedSky said:

No ice worries on the ECM

We have seen a tendency for the ECM to be too far NW in the last few weeks as I'm sure you painfully remember :lol: however, the GFS was too far SE in the previous system. The results ended up being somewhat in the middle of those 2 models and that's where I think we are headed again. Ice threat for the interior but mainly rain around 95 and the Philly metro area/NJ. But hey I'm just some random weenie that tries to forecast for fun. Won't be surprised if the 18z GFS trends a bit further N as none of the other globals budged at 12z. But who knows, maybe it scores the coup and most of us see some frozen out of this. I think I have more interest in the 2/7 time period for some frozen over a majority of the area though.

16 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Glenn wasn't the least bit concerned during his 11am forecast. Pretty much, "It may turn to a little mix before ending." Not saying he's correct but he didn't seem like it was much of a possible event...

31F 

Yeah, I dont think most of us here actually believe the GFS. It was just concerning to see it double down the way it did. 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yeah, I dont think most of us here actually believe the GFS. It was just concerning to see it double down the way it did. 

Hell, if I receive a little mix and 1" of snow at the tail end I'll be happy. Always enjoy rain changing to mix/snow events...total nightmare the other way around.

32F

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Newman said:

The 1 foot line is a bit off as we will finish January with an above snowfall month here (12.9") in NW Chester County and just under 4" below seasonal norms to date...but for sure more to the north and south so a real relative snow hole!!

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Hell, if I receive a little mix and 1" of snow at the tail end I'll be happy. Always enjoy rain changing to mix/snow events...total nightmare the other way around.

32F

Agreed in this area it is pretty rare to go the rain to ice to snow route..the cold air will certainly be drilling in by the pre-dawn hours of Friday morning....

22 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The middle finger storm.

The hoochie warm wet mess.

The euro day 7-8 bag of rock salt for the NW crowds wounds.

No way we get it three times right? "Not with three barrels it can't, not with three!" Old Quint lol

I would not trust the Euro right now- to wishy washy. The GFS has the right idea but way overdone. Somewhere in the middle - light rain to 4-6 hours of freezing rain/sleet  then to wet snow for the LV.  Very typical scenario for an "Ohio Valley Flyer" storm event. Usual results -- is a 4-6 inch snow event for us- higher snow accumulations near the Williamsport area . I also call this "salt drainer storm event" as municipal salt supplies can take a hell of a hit in a hurry for road treatment, especially if the cold hits hard afterwards.  This upcoming pattern definitely reminds me of 1994 when I drove on snow/ice rutted roads for a week  to work.  I remember 222 / Hamilton Blvd was a complete mess where you actually had to drive along the curbs to find snow to drive on when you came to the intersections to stop as the rest of the intersection was packed down and rutted ice.  The snow drought areas of Ohio should do well on this event too.

Speaking of snow drought- can you see the donut hole for us in this  map?  truly amazing.

nohrsc_seasnow.us_ne.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I would not trust the Euro right now- to wishy washy. The GFS has the right idea but way overdone. Somewhere in the middle - light rain to 4-6 hours of freezing rain/sleet  then to wet snow for the LV.  Very typical scenario for an "Ohio Valley Flyer" storm event. Usual results -- is a 4-6 inch snow event for us- higher snow accumulations near the Williamsport area . I also call this "salt drainer storm event" as municipal salt supplies can take a hell of a hit in a hurry for road treatment, especially if the cold hits hard afterwards.  This upcoming pattern definitely reminds me of 1994 when I drove on snow/ice rutted roads for a week  to work.  I remember 222 / Hamilton Blvd was a complete mess where you actually had to drive along the curbs to find snow to drive on when you came to the intersections to stop as the rest of the intersection was packed down and rutted ice.  The snow drought areas of Ohio should do well on this event too.

Speaking of snow drought- can you see the donut hole for us in this  map?  truly amazing.

nohrsc_seasnow.us_ne.png

That’s insane isn’t it? Although I kinda remember a similar winter with same results but can’t think of the year off hand maybe 2017? 

45 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

This upcoming pattern definitely reminds me of 1994 when I drove on snow/ice rutted roads for a week  to work.  I remember 222 / Hamilton Blvd was a complete mess where you actually had to drive along the curbs to find snow to drive on when you came to the intersections to stop as the rest of the intersection was packed down and rutted ice.

And the state ran out of consumer (and road) salt!  I had to go on a work trip to Baltimore in January '94 during one of what became ~17 ice storms that season, and planned to take Amtrak but drive to the station and park in their garage, so eased on down to 30th St. Station and thankfully decided against getting on I-76 otherwise I would have been trapped there for 8 hours, because the ramps iced up and cars/trucks were stuck and blocked it so no on could get on or off. :axe:   When I got down to Baltimore, they only had rain and plenty of salt, so I brought back 2 bags of halite in my luggage. :thumbsup:

1994 (January 19) was also the last time KPHL recorded a below 0 temp (-5)