Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Bruce on wfsb showed both scenarios.   Gfs being warmer and the Euro colder. Didn't lean towards 1 or the other yet. I also say what Ryan had to say on Wvit. He is pretty solid on his forecasts

I would acknowledge both scenarios, but my guess is 00z Euro comes in a tick warmer. 

45 minutes ago, Angus said:

grew up on the south shore and remember walking up to the local pond on xmas day to try on the skates Santa had brought the night below. Right around zero degrees...a couple of circles around the pond and I was done and headed home. That was some real cold. I still have the skates.

My Christmas 1980 was a bit less “magical”.  It involved my dad and I trying to unclog a septic tank pipe in the below zero weather.  Fun times

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why not use ensembles when op runs are wildly swinging? 

Ensembles are warmer than euro OP. Colder than GFS OP though. My guess is still mostly a CNE event at this point but maybe we’ll get lucky and grab an inch or two at the end down here. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ensembles are warmer than euro OP. Colder than GFS OP though. My guess is still mostly a CNE event at this point but maybe we’ll get lucky and grab an inch or two at the end down here. 

That’s how I’ve been envisioning it going for the last few days. Likely rain to snow. Something similar perhaps to  Dec 8th last year 

Personally ... I side with the Euro for a few reasons, both meteorological and operational/experience included...

That said, I'd call some ZR/PL down to the Pike or even NW CT as a relative win, because as I went on with it earlier...the Euro most likely has a better handle on the DP layout post the shallow boundary, and it's synoptic PP being subtle but crucially greater than the GFS north, is more likely real at this range and adds to that...

Operationally, we are < than 96 hours and I don't believe the GFS scores typically better than the Euro in this range. but there are other nuanced reasons with the tooling, too

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s how I’ve been envisioning it going for the last few days. Likely rain to snow. Something similar perhaps to  Dec 8th last year 

Do you mean 12/5? That was that nuking coastal with very little cold air but it managed to flip to snow....ORH had like 10” of paste. We had about 4” of total mashed potatoes here that froze into a glacier the next day. 

This wont be a nuking coastal like that. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Do you mean 12/5? That was that nuking coastal with very little cold air but it managed to flip to snow....ORH had like 10” of paste. We had about 4” of total mashed potatoes here that froze into a glacier the next day. 

This wont be a nuking coastal like that. 

Yeah that one. Think we had 5-6” here. Something like that but lower amounts 

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

You will be lucky to grab a coating. This one is likely a goner for all of CT. Time to move to late next week for a favorable pattern. 

I think that is a bit premature for the northern third of CT; I would still keep the forecast close to the vest and leave some wiggle room in my forecast for northern CT; no reason to hype for sure, but certainly room for measurable across the northern third of CT.  Goner implies there is no room for this to trend into at least a low-grade event for northern CT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FXWX said:

I think that is a bit premature for the northern third of CT; I would still keep the forecast close to the vest and leave some wiggle room in my forecast for northern CT; no reason to hype for sure, but certainly room for measurable across the northern third of CT.  Goner implies there is no room for this to trend into at least a low-grade event for northern CT.

I like it. Let Kevin worry, lose sleep etc. It's worth it. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Fair enough, I think there’s still some room, just unlikely IMO, crazier things have happened.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s the stuff that keeps me entertained. Likewise a good Ray meltdown. 

Looks like euro was still pretty flat at 18z at the end of the run at 90h....not at the computer though to do a Dprog/dt comparison to 12z...how did it look?