• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

37 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve yet to see an ‘unmangled ’ flake. There’s been zero accumulations in Pittsford or Irondequoit. 

Dang, getting screwed on the East and North Sides I guess.  I guess the one that confuses me most is Sunday night when it snowed steadily for about 4-5 hours (7pm-midnight) areawide as that sloppy disorganized low came through and I thought hit all of WNY. I have no idea how you didnt get snow from that setup. 

16 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Dang, getting screwed on the East and North Sides I guess.  I guess the one that confuses me most is Sunday night when it snowed steadily for about 4-5 hours (7pm-midnight) areawide as that sloppy disorganized low came through and I thought hit all of WNY. I have no idea how you didnt get snow from that setup. 

Yeah, I checked the webcam of Jines Restaurant and Park Ave. and it was definitely snowing there for hours...very wet stuff.

Kbuf admittingly going with the higher end of the spectrum..

There also still looks to
be lake-to-lake connection at this time from Lake Huron. In
general advisory snow amounts of 3-6 inches are expected
tonight and an advisory was issued. However, if the band locks
in and persists longer than expected given the higher lake
equilibrium levels and limited shear in the convective layer, it
is certainly possible isolated warning amounts of 7" or more
tonight could occur where westerly flow upslope is strongest on
the Tug Hill Plateau. Going to leave a possible upgrade to later
shifts as they can look at new data. As of right now though,
should note that even the *current* forecast is on the highest
end of NBM 95th percentile for snowfall and close to HREF max
ensemble members. It will all depend on persistence of the band.

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

We got mostly liquid from that event.

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yep. I recall it well. Walked my dogs at 7:30 and 10 pm, hoping to enjoy some flakes. Absolutely zero parachutes. All darts. Mangled flakes and icy rain drops. The only surface that had anything was a plastic garbage can top that had just enough ice to leave a trail if I ran my finger through it. Nothing on leaves or grass. Temp was 34. This was in Pittsford. 

Buf hit 66 yesterday and was at 65 at midnight. So back to back +18 high temp departures. To put that in perspective to get a -18 high departure the high would be 30 degrees, seems impossible in this climate.

Long range looks up and down the next two weeks. I am starting to get worried about December with a terrible Pacific but still too far out at this point. 

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Buf hit 66 yesterday and was at 65 at midnight. So back to back +18 high temp departures. To put that in perspective to get a -18 high departure the high would be 30 degrees, seems impossible in this climate.

Long range looks up and down the next two weeks. I am starting to get worried about December with a terrible Pacific but still too far out at this point. 

Yeah... still not seeing much to get excited about for those of us outside the lake belts. Definitely seems like most of us will be heading into December facing an early deficit. Still waiting for the last of my leaves to fall so I can rake and be done.

• Like 3

Not sure we're going to have enough of a clearing, but this would be cool to see:

LUNAR ECLIPSE TONIGHT: It's happening tonight--the longest lunar eclipse in more than 600 years. The best places to see it are North America and islands in the Pacific. At maximum, 97% of the Moon will fall into shadow, and the lunar disk will turn a beautiful shade of sunset red. Full story @ Spaceweather.com.

• Thanks 1

GFS with some decent wrap around/enhancement with the next system..

Monday, as the sfc low passes to our north it will send its cold
front through the region. CAA will ramp up with temperatures quickly
falling into the 30s as H850 temps drop to -7C/-9C across the
eastern Great Lakes by days end. As this occurs, lake induced
instability will increase with rain-snow changing over to snow with
accumulating lake snows expected east and then southeast of the lake..

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20 (5).png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Just realized the video ive seen on YouTube of someone shoveling snow off their roof was your house. I wish I was chasing back then. Couldn't imagine that much snow 

That video was of a different house, but yes it was an insane amount of snow. It looked like out of a western USA ski resort.

55 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

What are your thoughts for tonight/tomorrow @TugHillMatt

Don't expect much. Our areas might get an inch, if that. The air is just too mild in the lower elevations. In Oswego, you'll often see the bands jump over the immediate Lakeshore.  

The area around Fulton to Mexico could see a couple inches. It's common for that area to "max out" compared to surrounding locales.