• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lowville has to be pretty high. They are just north of the perfect LES off of Ontario, have a ton of elevation and latitude. If Fulton averages 170" I would think Lowville would be around 200.

Lowville the town and well my elev is 830-880. If I didn’t get downsloped off tuggies I’d say I’d probably be close to Fulton. But Fulton has uninterrupted moisture with no mtn shadows. Fultons issue would be marginal events being on Ontario plain would be my guess 

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

Lowville the town and well my elev is 830-880. If I didn’t get downsloped off tuggies I’d say I’d probably be close to Fulton. But Fulton has uninterrupted moisture with no mtn shadows. Fultons issue would be marginal events being on Ontario plain would be my guess 

yeah looks like best spot is SW of Lowville. 5 miles SW and you average 200+

On 11/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

KBUF reported 1.7" yesterday. First snow of the season, besides the Trace on the 3rd. I had 2.1" yesterday. Temps are at +2.0@SouthBuffaloSteve Are you checking the temps at KBUF now with no sun/heating to see if they match up. If there is no difference now we can 100% chalk it up to urban heating.

What would we consider today's conditions to show?  Was inside most of day but thought I saw some sunny breaks?  KBUF reported mostly cloudy all day.  Tonight KBUF is running 3-5 degrees too warm per the map.  Looking back to this weekend the 13/14 and 14/15 both saw days with thicker clouds, lake effect bands and general precip falling which should eliminate any UHI.  While not as extreme of a variance KBUF was still the warmest spot overnight on those days by 1 - 1.5 degrees.  On sunny days 2-3 degrees of UHI could be a possibility (yes? no?) but seeing as KBUF is ALWAYS the warmest location EVERY overnight, I really feel the sensor calibration is off by 1-2 degrees.  The link tombo posted with those verification scores also suggests a similar margin of error possible with the KBUF sensor.  Is it a hard ask for the NWS to do a calibration check/test?  After two failed calibrations at Albany sounds like they did a full tune up of the temp sensor site.  Don't forget KBUF had the calibration issue at the end of last summer so this would be strike two on the site.  Have to appreciate that at least the Albany office is looking into their sensor errors, getting them corrected, and noting it in a Public Info Statement.1980042125_11-161008pm.png.5f97126ac38af7963fd087291143d287.png510361596_kalbtext.thumb.png.6032b4fc4468304671e06a1cd0023f0f.png  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea there is a northern chateau camera there the vst groomer with an elev of like 1800

West Turin, Ava, west Leyden all get in on that little tongue of the Tug that extends SE. All are SSW of Lowville. They all get huge amounts. I drive through them quite frequently in the winter. 

• Like 1

We'll get another one again someday...  7 years ago we were getting ready for this wild ride!

...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT. * LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...AND WYOMING COUNTIES INCLUDING THE BUFFALO METRO AREA. LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOWFALL RATES OF 3 TO 5 INCHES PER HOUR IN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND. SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING 2 TO 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT BANDS. ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS POSSIBLE LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH PRODUCING LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.* IMPACTS...INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL RESULT IN VERY DIFFICULT OR NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL AT TIMES WITHIN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND. SOME ROADS MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPASSABLE. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL BE PREPARED FOR SEVERE WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AND DEEP SNOW COVER ON ROADS. THIS INCLUDES THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY FROM SILVER CREEK TO BATAVIApost-219-0-60958300-1416246946.thumb.png.0096248e00bf052141959674c5ac4845.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

We'll get another one again someday...  7 years ago we were getting ready for this wild ride!

...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT. * LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...AND WYOMING COUNTIES INCLUDING THE BUFFALO METRO AREA. LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOWFALL RATES OF 3 TO 5 INCHES PER HOUR IN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND. SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING 2 TO 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT BANDS. ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS POSSIBLE LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH PRODUCING LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.* IMPACTS...INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL RESULT IN VERY DIFFICULT OR NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL AT TIMES WITHIN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND. SOME ROADS MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPASSABLE. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL BE PREPARED FOR SEVERE WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AND DEEP SNOW COVER ON ROADS. THIS INCLUDES THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY FROM SILVER CREEK TO BATAVIApost-219-0-60958300-1416246946.thumb.png.0096248e00bf052141959674c5ac4845.png

Never forget

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Local Mets keep insisting that next Monday night and Tuesday we’re getting a significant storm…models disagree…are the ensembles showing a different outcome?

All the ingredients are in place. But it’s a tricky one. Ensembles have been supportive to an extent. I’m kinda 50-50 on this one. I think the ADKs/ New England have a much better shot. But I’m not counting us out. 

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

All the ingredients are in place. But it’s a tricky one. Ensembles have been supportive to an extent. I’m kinda 50-50 on this one. I think the ADKs/ New England have a much better shot. But I’m not counting us out. 

Best shot would be for retrograding low being caught under the block ala 6z gfs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yuck. There's like no cold air with the actual synoptic portion. I know it's only November, but that has been the theme of recent years. But this whole run is sort of an odd look anyways.

There is cold air behind it, typical for November. Average highs are still in the mid/upper 40s.