Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

If we don't get prolonged cold the ski resorts will be out of business. 

I don't disagree but the resorts (I can only speak for App, Sugar and Beech) have made remarkable investments in snowmaking capabilities in recent years.  It's to the point that they can basically cover the main slopes in a day.  It's been one of the warmest decembers ever, no natural snow, it hasn't been below freezing for a week, and the resorts are still open.  (barely, i assume)  Next week should be great for snowmaking.  

But it is crazy to think that at the end of the day they are in the hands of mother nature.  I would imagine they make most of their money on about 12 weekends and to lose one to warm and rain has to be painful.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phelps said:

I don't disagree but the resorts (I can only speak for App, Sugar and Beech) have made remarkable investments in snowmaking capabilities in recent years.  It's to the point that they can basically cover the main slopes in a day.  It's been one of the warmest decembers ever, no natural snow, it hasn't been below freezing for a week, and the resorts are still open.  (barely, i assume)  Next week should be great for snowmaking.  

But it is crazy to think that at the end of the day they are in the hands of mother nature.  I would imagine they make most of their money on about 12 weekends and to lose one to warm and rain has to be painful.  

Yeah figuratively speaking for the season not looking good.  Looking out a bit further we may get some snow but then it's right back up in the 50s again a few days later. 

1 hour ago, Maggie Ace said:

I believe that the ski areas have had to temporarily shut down during mid season 3 of the last 4 winters. Last year was the exception with the sustained cold weather for December and mid January. 

It's looking promising for snow making Sunday evening and possibly even the first measurable natural snow of the winter for Cataloochee. 

Yeah hopefully this sticks. We will see though.  Im still very pessimistic. 

7 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah hopefully this sticks. We will see though.  Im still very pessimistic. 

I like where you and I sit for Sunday into Monday, I think we see a couple inches.  would be a nice house warming gift from Mother Nature before I head out to work in Tulsa for a week. 

• Like 4

The system is trending stronger generally. The timing and placement of the front will be kry to where gets snow. East TN and the TN/NC border up to central and eastern VA would be my guess. Places like northern Mississippi and Alabama could get some snow too. The cold air will have trouble reaching areas east of the Blue Ridge. 

• Like 2

The system is trending stronger generally. The timing and placement of the front will be kry to where gets snow. East TN and the TN/NC border up to central and eastern VA would be my guess. Places like northern Mississippi and Alabama could get some snow too. The cold air will have trouble reaching areas east of the Blue Ridge. 

Yeah the whole cold air chasing moisture is a losers bet. But this one is sneaky. If there is a wild card in all of this it will be the track and how fast the LP deepens or strengthens as it moves off the coast. The associated dynamics may aid in rapidly cooling the entire column before all the moisture moves out. As always in NC timing is everything.

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic