• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Elarey7
    Newest Member
    Elarey7
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

What amazed me to this day when I look back on that time frame was how much it WNY was buried under 24+” of snow…that is hard to do in January and February let alone the 3rd week of November 

Besides Nov 2014 that was the most snow I've seen on the ground in November. I lived right by the airport for that time period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Besides Nov 2014 that was the most snow I've seen on the ground in November. I lived right by the airport for that time period.

2000-2001 was statistically our best winter ever.  Check out the snow depth climo segments.  Ranks as the season that saw the most ever days with at least 1" of snow on the ground at 114 days!  That would be the same as having snow on the ground from Nov 1st - Feb 22nd... Every day during that period!  Yes there were thaws in there so not sure how continuous it was but still 114 days is 1/3rd of the entire calendar year that we had snow on the ground.  That is impressive, it even beat out both the winters of 76-77 and 77-78 which were brutally cold and snowy.  But then things get weird as days with 6"+ on the ground was only average at only 48 days.  Then looking at 12"+ days there was only 6?  Seems like the bigger Nov snows melted down pretty quickly but still held a more minimal snow pack for a longer period of time.    

Graph directly below, (1"+ of snow on the ground) I would classify a "traditional" winter in the 80-90 days range.  Would you guys agree?  More or Less?  

Buf1.png

Buf2.png

Buf3.png

I moved from Little Falls to Brewerton in November, 1995. That is still the snowiest November on record in Syracuse. I closed on my house on November 9. Closing was scheduled for 10 AM. As I drove up the Thruway I encountered heavy snow around Chittenango. I had a Suzuki Sidekick at the time so I did have 4 wheel drive but going was still extremely slow. I was panicking that I was going to be late for the closing. I made it there about 10:30 and was the first one there!   Ended up with about 8 inches for that event  Heavy lake effect events continued into December  I think the pattern flipped in January  0E645045-C37D-4658-BF19-07648ED7E144.thumb.png.a0eac667517dd6b80f609ae0c4164d56.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

One would think this would of been a nice winter storm down the road but we probably still find a way to rain lol

Storm looks to be in the vicinity of NYC (just west) according to the wind finder..

WPC has it doing a loop over NJ before pulling away OTS..

Screenshot_20211026-105416.png

I'd take this exact storm all winter. 1-2"' every time. Especially with lake enhancement.

We're at 1.17" since yesterday. 0.67" today.

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

We are going to want pictures. 

I actually have a legitimate company doing the install. Its funny the owner said hes never seen anything like it, hes shocked it stayed up for over 2 years. Parts of the fence were dug only 6" deep and 4 posts he pulled up with just his two hands. He said he used more concrete in 5 posts than the other guy did for the entire fence. One of the worst installs hes ever seen and said to never hire a guy who does it on the side for anything ever again. Trust me I've learned a hard lesson. I'm in over $13k into this. I could have bought 3 ETH instead.

The only bright spot is the cost of materials went up so much the last 2 years and we are reusing a lot of the fence. If I were to install a brand new fence it would be $12-15k depending on company. I actually won the lawsuit for $3k back from them but they dissolved the company and impossible to get the money from them. It was through an "LLC" and I wasn't able to sue them individually for some odd reason. 

• Like 1