Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 9-12, 2021 Severe Threats

Chicago Storm

9 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Flooding probably going to be newsworthy in addition to the severe threat. Radar estimating some 3" totals near and east of Rockford this morning. The real urban flood threat is this evening imo when we'll have HP sups in the area.

WPC MD out.

E8Ww5DAVcAEEejX.jpg.2b8b070e3727203dc7be791c7fa5f196.jpg

could be a firehose all day long slowly sagging south

14Z HRRR seems to weaken the current batch too fast 

I assume you expect things to initiate right over there correct? That's what my amateur self has figured at least

No, initiation will occur (and already has) to the northwest of there on the boundary. DKB is a good starting point though, with 88 as E/W option and 23 as N/S option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

I think storm mode and sustenance concerns are enough to preclude an enhanced if you ask me. I think the 5 is fine

With increasing LL SRH with time, storm mode isn't going to make much difference.

Could see a 10% tor and/or 30% wind being needed.

11 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

With increasing LL SRH with time, storm mode isn't going to make much difference.

Could see a 10% tor and/or 30% wind being needed.

I honestly didn't think LL SRH was that impressive(150 0-1, 300 0-3). What stuck out to me more was the excess of 0-3km CAPE/vort associated with that old MCV style feature. This, combined with sufficient SRH should yield opportunities for tornadoes even if storm mode was messy. I just think it will be difficult for longer lived mesocyclones to develop due to both storm interaction and poor EBWD somewhat capping potential of this event somewhat. As far as damaging winds, I think LRs are poor, but a few bowing segments near and after 00z could yield marginally severe gusts, so I think a 15 is good there too.

• Hoosier changed the title to August 9-12, 2021 Severe Threats