Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Fred

WxWatcher007

29 minutes ago, Muhammad2922 said:

Hwrf will be right in this case, and also underdone. Significantly underdone for upper gulf coast

I highly doubt that. We'll have to see if it survives the islands first. Not to mention a major hurricane in the first half of August is very rare. There hasn't been one since Dean in 2007. 

Conditions may be favorable, but I don't think it's going to be a major. Still needs to be watched though.

57 minutes ago, Muhammad2922 said:

Growing of a significant hurricane risk for upper gulf coast anywhere from Al / Fl panhandle . Most global models show significant pressure falls. 

d2bea728734c3dc86a0cc745b44c80b7.png Australian model

Weather.us - Google Chrome (gyazo.com)  Skorean model ( 10km resolution very good)  

Cmc was posted before.  Building anticyclone / high rh humidity and extremely warm gulf favor a sig hurricane to form.  2 ull will enhance outflow channels in models as welll. 

My rule of thumb when the Korean and the Aussie global agree is to start panic buying. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

Looking at the IR and I honestly think this storm is going to get shredded. Does not really matter where the circulation is when the convection will die unless I truly don’t know what is going on. It just feels like this thing is going to get shredded to me unless we get some good convection to the north.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Is it due to the poor geometry that this isn't named?  Because I thought >39mph is a TS.

It’s having a hard time developing a closed circulation. This is effectively a very sharp wave at the moment. As soon as it closes off it’ll be a named system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Corrected: This observation corrected a previous observation.
Transmitted: 11th day of the month at 1:25Z
Agency: United States Air Force 
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF96-5302 
Potential Tropical Cyclone: Six (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 2
Observation Number: 11 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )

A. Time of Center Fix: 11th day of the month at 0:40:40Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 17.34N 66.30W
B. Center Fix Location: 75 statute miles (121 km) to the SSW (192°) from San Juan, Puerto Rico (U.S.).
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,504m (4,934ft) at 850mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1009mb (29.80 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 50° at 6kts (From the NE at 7mph)
F. Eye Character: Not Available
G. Eye Shape: Not Available
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 35kts (40.3mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 31 nautical miles (36 statute miles) to the N (6°) of center fix at 0:31:00Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 115° at 40kts (From the ESE at 46.0mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 66 nautical miles (76 statute miles) to the NE (38°) of center fix at 0:20:00Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 25kts (28.8mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 8 nautical miles to the W (274°) of center fix at 0:43:00Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 43° at 31kts (From the NE at 35.7mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 77 nautical miles (89 statute miles) to the WNW (291°) of center fix at 1:01:00Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 17°C (63°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,532m (5,026ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 19°C (66°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,526m (5,007ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 7°C (45°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Wind and Pressure
S. Fix Level: 850mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 6.5 nautical miles

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 43kts (~ 49.5mph) which was observed 71 nautical miles (82 statute miles) to the NE (38°) from the flight level center at 0:19:00Z
Maximum Flight Level Temp: 19°C (66°F) which was observed 8 nautical miles to the N (352°) from the flight level center

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Fred

11 pm track nudged solidly north, brings it through the Middle Keys instead of near the Lower Keys. Of course that's all minutiae, main thing is to see how Fred responds to Hispaniola. It's still up in the air and 50/50 at this point. We'll see if it starts going north through Mona Passage once it clears Puerto Rico, or if it gets stuck south of Hispaniola. We'll have our answer by the morning. 

Starting to figure some preparations into my schedule. Maybe even a little shopping today.

image.thumb.png.8ebc3dc343544d09e9bc35b50e7ea067.png

Reminds me a bit of Elsa, at least in relation to Tampa Bay (July 4 at 5PM):

image.thumb.png.a69c202748cbe3da1df29b127588552f.png

Elsa was a "Hurricane" when it passed very near us on July 6 yet it was not much of a storm here. Seriously, a substantial Tropical Storm in the same place would be much more of a concern, and Fred might be setting up for that if it survives the mountains.

(Just scanned the Elsa forum and it is funny how similar all these storms forums become! LOL)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Poor Fred, about to take the worst path possible for land/mountain interaction 

Next step with this storm is to see if it re-centers itself along the north coast of Hispaniola while crossing the mountains.    Time to look for evidence of that would be this evening.  If this occurs it will have implications on the track going forward.

Misaligned centers and crossing Hispaniola is a bad setup for any TC. A number of possibilities here all with regards to a weak cyclone. Everything from surface vort reformation to system dissipation. Laura did remarkably well traversing the mountainous terrain. Isaias fared okay with a center reformation. Many systems do not fare well however.

• Like 3