• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 4

am19psu

Well I remember in '96 places like Pittsburgh and State College getting hammered when they were supposed to be more in the 4 to 8" range, northern fringe. Of course the insane sharp cutoff gave Erie and Albany next to nothing. That could also be that the track ended up further north and closer to the coast. But again it depends on development. That storm was loaded with moisture. This one won't be until it hits the coast.

I know this is weenie-ish...but how often do we get storms of this magnitude that track just inside the benchmark that don't manage to get sig precip back to i-95 and slightly west?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is weenie-ish...but how often do we get storms of this magnitude that track just inside the benchmark that don't manage to get sig precip back to i-95 and slightly west?

I honestly don't know. Its not easy to research non events. Ray Martin was going to try to look into it, which I would think is a very worthwhile study, non events that were forecast to be events at one (reasonable) time.

As with all storms of this magnitude, heavy snow to nearly no snow within 60 miles. My WAG would be a final track that will come in just inside of the benchmark. OP models aside, that is where all the ensemble noise is pointing toward. Happy Holidays Everyone!

That's quite a narrow cutoff and doesn't seem reasonable, especially based on what is currently being discussed. Any reason for your thought? Thanks

it's headed northeast, out to sea... the trough is still too open. It needs to close off.. the vorticity is too sheared out all over place.

this really is beginning to feel like last week.. I know the run hasn't finished... We have to all remember there is a reason why trying to predict weather beyond 4 days out is so difficult.. In any event hoping for the best!!

Once again people that wanna jump off the bridge due to the gfs are not thinking clearly because the gfs is known for not being too good with southern stream events and the euro is much better than it. Id appreciate some met support here but the gfs and nam have in the past when the euro showed an east coast storm as it got closer to the event the gfs trended to it which is what its done lately. Correct?

there's 2 types of vorticity... curvature and shear.. it's very obvious looking at the 500 mb GFS that it is going nuts on creating shear vorticity due to the extreme gradient of the height contours with respect to the large open trough with basically little wind. We need a consolidated area of curvature vorticity in a wave pattern that is a bit tighter than this.

I have to say..this last week has been a total waste of my time..I think I should face facts that this is a strong Nina..and this winter will probably suck..listen it's gonna snow this winter..but I think to save myself stress and wait maybe 48 hours away..and maybe take a rest from this board..I need some sleep!

I have to say..this last week has been a total waste of my time..I think I should face facts that this is a strong Nina..and this winter will probably suck..listen it's gonna snow this winter..but I think to save myself stress and wait maybe 48 hours away..and maybe take a rest from this board..I need some sleep!

This is exactly what happened during the winters of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Bad trends today. One difference between GFS and Euro has been trailing piece of vorticity that dives from Dakotas. Was very sharp on Euro and dove all the way to gulf to phase with southern stream but trended flatter on Euro ast night.. Has never been very sharp on GFS leading to flatter overall trough and slower phasing.

A total waste of time? You're free to throw in the towel if you wish, but did you at least learn something from watching the runs and reading some good analysis? I know I did. While I of course would love a crushing blow, you still have to try an take away some positives if it doesn't pan out.

Archived