• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 4

am19psu

For those ribbing the models and the waffling: I guess we fail to appreciate the SCIENCE of meteorology so much as its outcomes? In my eyes, the frustration is part of the passion. If models were accurate/persistent that would relinquish the need for thoughtful and insightful dialogue, which is something no super computer can emulate. To me, this is the purpose of a weather board such as this. The models don't have feelings, they are computational. As people, we have feelings, but sometimes we let it get in the way of actually understanding the science. In this way we fail worse than the models because we depend on them, bash them, and insult their imperfections. Time to look at our own, because we can make judgment calls. The models can't, they do their job, and we do ours whether as enthusiasts or professionals to track them. FEELINGS should not get in the way of this otherwise you don't have a science but a really bad never ending soap opera.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UKIE had an upgrade recently no? That may explain why it's performing ok lately.

It supposedly has one of the better verifications but I have so rarely if ever used it because it was poor from what I recall earlier in the 2000s...it did do very well last winter on most events that I remember...this year it has had the suppression idea right but its had it a bit too much.

It was WAYYYY too far east though, its been overly suppressed for both events, the last even was way closer than it indicated and this one will probably be west of what it has shown on many of its runs as well.

It also started wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far west. At 144 hours it would have had snow changing to rain here last weekend. The can ggem has appeared the steadiest.

It

It also started wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far west. At 144 hours it would have had snow changing to rain here last weekend. The can ggem has appeared the steadiest.

I wonder if the GEM typically performs well in Nina winters because its usually too far west/warm? Does this mean the NOGAPS is good in Nino winters? LOL

i love everyone saying they are leaving if the euro is a miss. you're liars. the 12z euro could have the storm making landfall in spain and you will all still be here later tonight to see the 0z runs. we all talk a big game, but this hobby is a lot like gambling, and it is very difficult to get up from the table.

You know what prior to the other models taking off skill-wise, it was very good during the winter of 1997-8.

I just posted that the Euro's SW bias could be really hurting it this year in the Nina....I do believe the Euro had problems in 2000-2001 but don't remember much about what it did in the recent La Ninas, but I'd imagine the Euro is more likely to perform better with an active southern branch

I just posted that the Euro's SW bias could be really hurting it this year in the Nina....I do believe the Euro had problems in 2000-2001 but don't remember much about what it did in the recent La Ninas, but I'd imagine the Euro is more likely to perform better with an active southern branch

From a modeling perspective its lose lose, if the euro is correct, all of the other models up to this forecast point are severely whiffing (for PHL area). If the Euro is wrong, then really any solution it has that is not close to its ensemble mean position at 72 hours and beyond needs to be carefully scrutinized. In reality, we do the the latter with every model.

Very disappointing trends today for sure...I think it's likely that the Euro goes east as well, and if it does I'm officially giving up on this threat. I have to say that I will be majorly disappointed in the Euro if it turns out to be wrong after consistently showing a major storm for 6-7 runs in a row, and I'll likely doubt anything that it says more than 72 hours out for the rest of this winter.

I agree with Isotherm..this has been the most frustrating two weeks of model tracking that I've ever experienced.

How likely is it for the Euro to be wrong in all those runs? When was the last major oops for the Euro going so many runs with the same output and bombing

The Euro has a renowned bias of hanging back energy/shortwaves in the SW, it has been commented on by many mets. This bias plays into what is favorable for the formation of a strong coastal low, in this situation.

The Euro has a renowned bias of hanging back energy/shortwaves in the SW, it has been commented on by many mets. This bias plays into what is favorable for the formation of a strong coastal low, in this situation.

It can usually get around that bias, but this year with this La Nina flow I'm thinking it could not.

Its very unlikely however with the divergence of model output that we are seeing 3 days out I honestly don't know what to think. Is it that complicated a setup that the models could be so off as we get closer to the event than they were 5, 6, 7 days out???

How likely is it for the Euro to be wrong in all those runs? When was the last major oops for the Euro going so many runs with the same output and bombing

It happens A LOT more than people realize beyond day 5. But most people only pay close attention when there's an IMBY snowstorm to track, so their personal sample size is small and biased.

When a storm keeps getting delayed .............not happening.

Not always the case, it depends on the scenario...in this case the delay appears to be part of the problem in that the delay allowed the western ridge and eastern trough to come a bit too far east...but if the scenario unfolded earlier its possible the timing of the north/south disturbances would have been no good anyway.

Archived