Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,895
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Pszemo
    Newest Member
    Pszemo
    Joined

Met Summer Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I also need to get a shingles vax. 

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

I had the first shot then forgot about the 3 month second shot.  Have to start all over. Didn't get sick though

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

I got a slight fever and fairly intense muscle soreness especially after the second shot. Side effects were a bit worse than anticipated but better than going through shingles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

Yeah.  I’ve heard it is a rough one.  Any idea why?   Although shingles itself can be nasty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, fujiwara79 said:

I never compared the two; I said natural immunity is clearly not lifelong.  Not even close.  But that is what some people seem to claim.  Vaccine immunity is clearly not lifelong either.  It appears to start waning after 6 months.

I suggest interviewing the residents of Manuas, Brazil or New Delhi, India.  Millions of them were re-infected by the gamma and delta variant, respectively.  That "T-cell memory" thing didn't do squat for them.  It certainly shocked the medical community.

Not true in the mRNA vaccines.  Efficacy still in the 90% realm after 6mo. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2103916

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/pfizer-covid-vaccine-91-effective-least-6-months

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Australia sending in the troops to enforce the lockdown over a couple deaths of some elderly people…

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-pm-says-vaccinations-alone-will-not-end-sydneys-covid-19-lockdown-2021-07-28/

They’ve gone completely mad down there. 

Are they allowed to throw "shrimp on the barbie?"

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, radarman said:

Unrelated but has anyone been to the new Treehouse in Sandwich?  Thinking of making a trip.  

Lately have been mainly drinking sours, marzen, and hefeweizen.  Good to mix it up.  

It's on my list to get there.  Are they fully opened?  Last I checked they were only doing pre-orders for pickup at specific times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's on my list to get there.  Are they fully opened?  Last I checked they were only doing pre-orders for pickup at specific times.

They are having a lot of problems with the town so have had some issues with sporadic hours.  Lots of NIMBY pushback due to traffic concerns. 
Honestly, I can see why, it’s a one road in, one road out situation.  
Come to TreeHouse Deerfield, there is hardly ever a line!
I was talking to one of the workers who was telling me that management was a little underwhelmed by the turnout at this location. I think that will change once they have a full brewery and taproom open and it’s not just pick up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

They are having a lot of problems with the town so have had some issues with sporadic hours.  Lots of NIMBY pushback due to traffic concerns. 
Honestly, I can see why, it’s a one road in, one road out situation.  
Come to TreeHouse Deerfield, there is hardly ever a line!
I was talking to one of the workers who was telling me that management was a little underwhelmed by the turnout at this location. I think that will change once they have a full brewery and taproom open and it’s not just pick up.

Yeah, just a short drive to Deerfield....:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Australia sending in the troops to enforce the lockdown over a couple deaths of some elderly people…

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-pm-says-vaccinations-alone-will-not-end-sydneys-covid-19-lockdown-2021-07-28/

They’ve gone completely mad down there. 

From the article:

"With little sign that of restrictions reducing infections, Berejiklian said new curbs would be imposed on the southwestern and western areas of Sydney where the majority of COVID-19 cases are being found.

Residents there will be forced to wear masks outdoors and to stay within five km (three miles) of their homes."

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

it's been said a few times already but case counts are generally not worth much right now if many of them are mild....hospitalizations/deaths is what's important going forward.

 

9 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I'm showing how many cases for the day 

as Brian346346820321 said, case counts don't matter. as long as routine asymptomatic testing is being performed, case counts are useless.

For example, in NH, case counts are rising. however, what truly matters is that the hospitalizations are actually going down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

From the article:

"With little sign that of restrictions reducing infections, Berejiklian said new curbs would be imposed on the southwestern and western areas of Sydney where the majority of COVID-19 cases are being found.

Residents there will be forced to wear masks outdoors and to stay within five km (three miles) of their homes."

I don't see how Australia ever breaks out of this loop unless the politicians there go up on stage and issue a massive mea culpa over the whole thing and totally change their approach. They are always going to be getting new variants coming in there from Asia. These little clusters of cases are never going to end. Australia really should be a warning for us over here about how heavy-handed the mommy government can get when we ask it to "keep us safe" and how out-of-hand the response from the government can become as older measures stop working. Putting people in literal camps is next; we will see if they get there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

From the article:

"With little sign that of restrictions reducing infections, Berejiklian said new curbs would be imposed on the southwestern and western areas of Sydney where the majority of COVID-19 cases are being found.

Residents there will be forced to wear masks outdoors and to stay within five km (three miles) of their homes."

239 new cases in one day, in a city of 6 million.  That's 4 per 100k.  The horror.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Rjay said:

Time for a new doctor. 

She's the best. Cuts through the B.S. vs fact. I know a couple vaxxed people to test positive. They are fine, the debate seems how likely they are to spread it. If more got vaxxed, innoculated, whatever we wouldn't have these concerns...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Remember when they said you should wear a mask while having sex in Australia. Lol. 

They said that in the UK and I think Canada as well.

The new information that the vaccinated can spread the virus effectively really calls into question the "COVID zero" models of Canada and Australia. Even if they vax everyone every year they can still have these clusters of cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm

Nearly 900 confirmed COVID-19 cases have now been linked to a recent virus outbreak in Provincetown, town manager Alex Morse announced Thursday

Morse noted that 74 percent of the cases are among vaccinated people and that 87 percent are men with a median age of 40.

A total of seven hospitalizations have been linked to the cluster. There have been no deaths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They said that in the UK and I think Canada as well.

The new information that the vaccinated can spread the virus effectively really calls into question the "COVID zero" models of Canada and Australia. Even if they vax everyone every year they can still have these clusters of cases.

Covid zero .. 

riiight

another f'ed up example of hubris if any sovereignty thinks that can be realized or managed  - our species is not the biological gods in its fledgling technological presence on this world that it attempts, or by actions purports to be. 

not yet anyway ... that may be an achievement distinction in some distant future utopian sci-fi vision - if a Fermi Paradox explanation doesn't "manifest" first..  heh.   maybe all this is just a preamble - like a first stop along a bio-Terra-forming experimental journey.  

That's an interesting thought ... why does Terra forming have to just mean climate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hmm

Nearly 900 confirmed COVID-19 cases have now been linked to a recent virus outbreak in Provincetown, town manager Alex Morse announced Thursday

Morse noted that 74 percent of the cases are among vaccinated people and that 87 percent are men with a median age of 40.

A total of seven hospitalizations have been linked to the cluster. There have been no deaths.

Covid does infect more males than females, but nearly 90% here is high and heavily skewed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They said that in the UK and I think Canada as well.

The new information that the vaccinated can spread the virus effectively really calls into question the "COVID zero" models of Canada and Australia. Even if they vax everyone every year they can still have these clusters of cases.

I'm just waiting for the waning vax immunity stories of the elderly who were vaccinated first that now risk infection yet again. Maybe less severe,  maybe not,  but we'll be starting all over again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hmm

Nearly 900 confirmed COVID-19 cases have now been linked to a recent virus outbreak in Provincetown, town manager Alex Morse announced Thursday

Morse noted that 74 percent of the cases are among vaccinated people and that 87 percent are men with a median age of 40.

A total of seven hospitalizations have been linked to the cluster. There have been no deaths.

Which means the vaccines are effective, because there are minimal hospitalizations (<1%) and no deaths.  Nearly all deaths and majority of hospitalizations from Covid can be attributed to those that are unvaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Which means the vaccines are effective, because there are minimal hospitalizations (<1%) and no deaths.  Nearly all deaths and majority of hospitalizations from Covid can be attributed to those that are unvaccinated.

The vaccines are apparently not effective at stopping the casedemic, though.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Which means the vaccines are effective, because there are minimal hospitalizations (<1%) and no deaths.  Nearly all deaths and majority of hospitalizations from Covid can be attributed to those that are unvaccinated.

That's ultimately what it comes down to. If COVID acts like the common cold then that's fine but if it leads to hospitalizations & deaths then that's a problem.

And COVID will ultimately be endemic and join the other coronaviruses we deal with so sooner or later we'll have to move on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conflicted here.  Traveling soon and I need a negative test before we depart.
 I’m trying to avoid crowds (as typical, regardless of the ‘Vid) but I do need to be in stores, currently getting my car inspected etc. 

To mask or not...  this blows.  Does it provide even the tiniest advantage in prevention?   
 

most of the people in the shop right now are masked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...