Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I sure don't.

They are bringing back masks because of tourists?

Basically. There were about 400 cases traced to p town over the last couple weeks. The board of selectman put on an advisory for indoor masking a few days ago. Tonight they voted to make it a mandate. And the governor won’t say boo. He won’t make a state mandate, but he’ll let cities and towns do it. The more leftist town and cities will do it. Bank on Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville to get on the mandate wagon by the end of this week. I’d be shocked if I’m not back in a mask at work within a week, two weeks tops. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It certainly seems like someone out there really wants to start a vaxxed vs unvaxxed fight, doesn't it? Dovetails nicely with the politics and some of the social justice stuff too, unfortunately.

Media clicks are definitely part of it. With Trump out of the picture, the major outlets need something to lead with now. The "fight" against the new bogeyman of the unvaxxed is it, it seems.

That is exactly what has been going on since May.   I'm not against getting vaccinated mind you, I am aghast at the politics and profit aspect.

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

Anti vaxxers piss me off but I still don’t want to see them die. I’m just going to say it, anti vaxxers are Republican. Even Trump admitted that most anti vaxxers voted for him, and encouraged his supporters who are skeptical to get vaccinated. I don’t have anything against Republicans, hell I even lean conservative myself so I understand where they are coming from with being skeptical of the government. People see all these breakthrough cases, hear about the side effects, ect. These are real things, but people don’t dig deeper and look at the breakthrough cases and look at the percentage of total cases that are breakthrough cases, the percentage of people who get severe side effects, the percentage of breakthrough cases people get hospitalized for, death ect. If you know someone personally who got really sick even though they got vaccinated or had severe side effects then it’s understandable why they might be skeptical. When people close to you are getting hurt it can be very hard to think logically. Instead of putting these people down a better approach would be to try to educate them. Just to be clear I’m not saying every Republican is an anti vaxxer, I have an uncle who is a very strong Republican who voted for Trump twice, and is a conspiracy theorist, yet he got vaccinated. 

Every single anti-vaxxer I know is really into personal freedom and has a distrust of the government. This includes a senior NIH scientist I have known since grade school as a close friend. She refuses to get vaxxed for various reasons, none of them related to Trump. The more the "authorities" tighten the noose on her the more she is resisting. Some people are just wired that way.

I'm not going to deny it's becoming a statement of sorts for many of the unvaccinated at this point. The rhetoric out there right now is extremely hostile towards the unvaccinated (and those with natural immunity), so it's no surprise these freedom-loving folks who distrust centralized big government are digging in their heels.

I will also add that many of the unvaccinated are minorities and young people, not exactly Trump's base. Something like 1/3 of people apprehended at the border have refused the vaccine, for example. The media has many of you convinced that the vaccine refusers are all old, fat Trump rednecks. That's a bunch of them, but not all by far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This one particular study (not yet peer reviewed) says no

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.01.21258176v2.full.pdf

Except that’s not what the study states. They state that vaccines should be prioritized for those that have not had COVID previously. It states this three times. It doesn’t state that those that were infected should not get vaccinated. They do exhibit some skepticism in whether vaccine + infection makes a difference, but don’t offer any findings on that one way or another.

Twice in the article it mentions their study doesn’t take into account new variants, also - and delta was just getting ramped up, overseas, when this study was published in June.

My only conclusion from this study is that if I were part of the team deploying vaccines, and I was short on doses, I would use this research to prioritize those that haven’t had COVID yet.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, George001 said:

Anti vaxxers piss me off but I still don’t want to see them die. I’m just going to say it, anti vaxxers are Republican. Even Trump admitted that most anti vaxxers voted for him, and encouraged his supporters who are skeptical to get vaccinated. I don’t have anything against Republicans, hell I even lean conservative myself so I understand where they are coming from with being skeptical of the government. People see all these breakthrough cases, hear about the side effects, ect. These are real things, but people don’t dig deeper and look at the breakthrough cases and look at the percentage of total cases that are breakthrough cases, the percentage of people who get severe side effects, the percentage of breakthrough cases people get hospitalized for, death ect. If you know someone personally who got really sick even though they got vaccinated or had severe side effects then it’s understandable why they might be skeptical. When people close to you are getting hurt it can be very hard to think logically. Instead of putting these people down a better approach would be to try to educate them. Just to be clear I’m not saying every Republican is an anti vaxxer, I have an uncle who is a very strong Republican who voted for Trump twice, and is a conspiracy theorist, yet he got vaccinated. 

Anti vaccine sentiment originated long before a conservative vs liberal doctrine could claim ownership … mid last century 
just sayn’

It may have been adopted by so-called conservatism lately but frankly … anti vaccine got a surge in popularity [really] as an organized platform-focus for a growing general antipathy toward big pharma … a fervor found more so in liberal ideology during and since the 1990s.

It’s become a moving goalposts whenever it may fit a special interest’s narrative - Trump happened to not endorse it … now that particular sub-genera of republicanism is suddenly appalled by vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Except that’s not what the study states. They state that vaccines should be prioritized for those that have not had COVID previously. It states this three times. It doesn’t state that those that were infected should not get vaccinated. They do exhibit some skepticism in whether vaccine + infection makes a difference, but don’t offer any findings on that one way or another.

Twice in the article it mentions their study doesn’t take into account new variants, also - and delta was just getting ramped up, overseas, when this study was published in June.

My only conclusion from this study is that if I were part of the team deploying vaccines, and I was short on doses, I would use this research to prioritize those that haven’t had COVID yet.

Good points.   Thanks for that

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Anti vaccine sentiment originated long before a conservative vs liberal doctrine . 
just sayn’

it may have been adopted by so-called conservatism lately but frankly … anti vaccine got a surge in popularity [really] as a platform focus for general antipathy toward big pharma … a fervor found more so in liberal ideology during and since the 1990s

Indeed. The folks that jumped on the “vaccines cause autism” train were from all walks of life, including those that could be classified as liberals or progressives.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I just discovered that there is a penis museum in Reykjavik.    Wtf?

I love weird museums like that (maybe not that exact one --  LOL) but when I travel with my wife she will never go with me. I spend hours in museums, reading every single bit of signage and then also sometimes pausing to check Wikipedia for more details. She takes some pictures and breezes right through. It's caused some fights. :) 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I love weird museums like that (maybe not that exact one --  LOL) but when I travel with my wife she will never go with me. I spend hours in museums, reading every single bit of signage and then also sometimes pausing to check Wikipedia for more details. She takes some pictures and breezes right through. It's caused some fights. :) 

I was looking at a list of museums in and around the city and that was in there.   
I think we will be looking at some puffins or something instead. Lol

3 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Indeed. The folks that jumped on the “vaccines cause autism” train were from all walks of life, including those that could be classified as liberals or progressives.

Horseshoe theory. 

A lot of these fringe ideas that exist on the two polar ends of the spectrum tend to look very similar, event if the two camps get there for different reasons.

The Made in America movement and related efforts is another example that draws in closed-borders nationalists and people like Bernie Sanders alike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Amsterdam has some great museums.

15 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

That’s true, hippies tend to be skeptical of the vaccines as well and they are as far left as it gets.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Checking the weather there daily/almost hourly    Volcano activity has also been very inconsistent.   Could be bluebird skies and decent lava.   Or vog and nothing visible. 

You'll be guaranteed to see something cool no matter what. That's a spot where the earth is literally cracking and splitting open. No way it will be boring. Everyone I know who has been there has said great things. Hard to see a misfire here for you.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You'll be guaranteed to see something cool no matter what. That's a spot where the earth is literally cracking and splitting open. No way it will be boring. Everyone I know who has been there has said great things. Hard to see a misfire here for you.

My aunt has been numerous times (my uncle just a couple).  She loves it there and knows a number of people there.  We are doing it on our own (driving). Mostly staying just outside of Reykjavik.  Doing a horse tour, kayaking at a glacial lagoon to the east. Lots of waterfall stuff.  Geysers.   

A lot of time unplanned so we can drive around and do things spur of the moment.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Go to the Museum I was facility director at. Amazing.  MashantucketPequotMuseum. Org

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My aunt has been numerous times (my uncle just a couple).  She loves it there and knows a number of people there.  We are doing it on our own (driving). Mostly staying just outside of Reykjavik.  Doing a horse tour, kayaking at a glacial lagoon to the east. Lots of waterfall stuff.  Geysers.   

A lot of time unplanned so we can drive around and do things spur of the moment.  

Will it instead be sperm of the moment at the penis museum?

• Haha 1