Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season Tracking Thread

WxWatcher007

23 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

When sub forums were introduced I was quietly opposed.  But I was wrong and now I rarely venture out of the Mid Atlantic.

lol same. 

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, but 95L has a high ceiling to me. The environment ahead looks good for development and this could be another long range US threat given the steering pattern. 

ive got a beach trip in a month. need you on top of these invests for me ;) :wub: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, H2O said:

Fred looks dead this morning. Lost a bit of oomph overnight so it will struggle going over the DR today

It's going to be a couple of ugly days for Fred due to land interaction and shear on the other side. Not much else to say until it at least passes DR/Haiti. Still looks like a favorable environment in the Gulf though. 

Edit: hours

• Like 2

This is a really helpful illustration of what to look for in developing but sheared tropical systems. You can see this very clearly tonight with Fred, as the convection is held downshear and cannot wrap around the LLC. 

It’s very hard to get significant organization and eventual intensification without this alignment process taking place.

93159370.gif?0.8763575431661563

It’s easier to see on visible but we can make it work. Basically shear is generally pushing Fred’s convection from west to east, so you can see that despite the convective blowup, it remains downshear, and isn’t wrapping or firing to the west of the center. 

Let’s compare to Linda in the eastern Pacific.

11549378.gif?0.0365683039693695

Obviously a good bit stronger but why is that? Note how the deepest convection is at the right/north side of the center at the very beginning, but wraps around the center. This process allows for the “feedback loop” of pressure drops and wind increases that allow for intensification. In a lower shear environment, Linda is able to vertically align and fully wrap convection around a core.

This is why wind shear and vector is so important to TC genesis and intensification in a nutshell.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2021 at 6:22 AM, Eskimo Joe said:

He says a lot of things. 

In this particular case, I think he will be correct. East Coast will get smashed by numerous major hurricanes. I think Florida and the Outer Banks are going to get utterly demolished, especially Miami. It is going to be very concerning the number of rapidly intensifying tropical entities that will smash into FL this season.

• Confused 1