• Member Statistics

    16,737
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WX Fan
    Newest Member
    WX Fan
    Joined
wxeyeNH

NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Gone in a few hours. We pad.

:lol:... be funny if when someone asks how much snow a given place averages, you give them like 70% of average, with the asterisk that 30% more falls as stat padding in autumn and spring or washes away in under 24 hours in winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol:... be funny if when someone asks how much snow a given place averages, you give them like 70% of average, with the asterisk that 30% more falls as stat padding in autumn and spring or washes away in under 24 hours in winter.

I’m obviously just busting. I get climo. I think when people say stat padder, it’s because it doesn’t last long in the shoulder seasons. So to them just having it last less than a day isn’t much. But it all goes into averages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m obviously just busting. I get climo. I think when people say stat padder, it’s because it doesn’t last long in the shoulder seasons. So to them just having it last less than a day isn’t much. But it all goes into averages.

Oh I’m joking too... I get it completely. Same for all snow that struggles to make it beyond 24-48 hours on the ground, whether in October, January or April.

It would be kinda interesting to see snowfall averages if it only counted if it lasted 48 hours or more.  BTV averages 24” of snowfall and 50” worth of stat padders? :lol:.  ORH snowfall and CAD region probably stays pretty normal with their ability to hold onto the inches that fall.

I will say in this event we at least had all day yesterday and even this morning in winter mode following the snows on Wednesday. Now she gone except some piles under the metal roofs where it slid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh I’m joking too... I get it completely. Same for all snow that struggles to make it beyond 24-48 hours on the ground, whether in October, January or April.

It would be kinda interesting to see snowfall averages if it only counted if it lasted 48 hours or more.  BTV averages 24” of snowfall and 50” worth of stat padders? :lol:.  ORH snowfall and CAD region probably stays pretty normal with their ability to hold onto the inches that fall.

I will say in this event we at least had all day yesterday and even this morning in winter mode following the snows on Wednesday. Now she gone except some piles under the metal roofs where it slid.

That was a solid event. I love anomalies. My 10/30 event is cemented in history for me. What a deal for this area. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The NNE warm season is snowier than the cold season. 

All in all this winter season stunk for me.  You got the upslope part but not the synoptic storms.   I would use this season as a very low benchmark.  If you enjoyed this winter coming from Maryland it will only get better in seasons to come.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

All in all this winter season stunk for me.  You got the upslope part but not the synoptic storms.   I would use this season as a very low benchmark.  If you enjoyed this winter coming from Maryland it will only get better in seasons to come.   

It was the most amazing winter of my life, bar none.

The snow retention in Randolph was incredible. 

I am already pining for next winter. We miss skiing too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It was the most amazing winter of my life, bar none.

The snow retention in Randolph was incredible. 

I am already pining for next winter. We miss skiing too.

Weird winter... certainly below normal on most aspects, but had a sustained period of winter with a lack of rain.  Can easily see a winter with more snowfall but less retention and more rain mixed in there (can also just see big snowfall and big snowpack).  Those active winters are what bring the snowfall totals up... can get front end WAA snow or back end upslope, even if it rains before or after the snowfall.  It all counts.  Might have a more variable up and down snowpack, but I'll take an active winter every time over long periods of boring.  My love is for the meteorology in the mountains... how the wind flow at every level can effect precipitation, snow totals, cloud cover.  Seeing how the fluid atmosphere interacts with the mountains and causes different outcomes on a very local level is a lot of fun.  I'd imagine the ocean is very similar in being a cool environment with it's own local weather influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Weird winter... certainly below normal on most aspects, but had a sustained period of winter with a lack of rain.  Can easily see a winter with more snowfall but less retention and more rain mixed in there (can also just see big snowfall and big snowpack).  Those active winters are what bring the snowfall totals up... can get front end WAA snow or back end upslope, even if it rains before or after the snowfall.  It all counts.  Might have a more variable up and down snowpack, but I'll take an active winter every time over long periods of boring.  My love is for the meteorology in the mountains... how the wind flow at every level can effect precipitation, snow totals, cloud cover.  Seeing how the fluid atmosphere interacts with the mountains and causes different outcomes on a very local level is a lot of fun.  I'd imagine the ocean is very similar in being a cool environment with it's own local weather influence.

I think I will look back on this winter in the future and be able to find a special something in it. The fact that my 30" pack stayed basically perfect for two months straight may end up having been a special thing in its own right. I can definitely see how winter could be more active but also feature plenty of 35 degree rain that eats the pack and puts a crust on it. This winter also had very uniform temps for long stretches. I swear I went at least 30 days straight with the temp staying between 15-25 day and night. The huge cold never materialized, but the second half of winter had basically perfect skiing weather. You are probably the only person here who was out on the mountain as often as I was, and I can definitely say I had very few bad days mid-Jan on. I skied 4-5 days a week all winter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Back from the depths of despair.  Shows how hard it is to stay at the bottom, ha.

Untitled.jpg.c80697027e1740bbaa6da6ae5e83b1ba.jpg

What year is that with under 20” entering March?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think (for my area) this winter is a wrap.  I have had accumulating snow as late as Memorial Day weekend but I don't see any cold coming and snow chances greatly decrease by May 1

So my total was 66".  This is below my normal 80-85".   It was a strange winter.

My biggest snow event in several years was 24" on Dec 17th.  That crazy death band sat just to my south for several hours.  Brian got more but 24" in about 12 hours.  That was a very enjoyable storm.  Other than this out of the mix there was no other storm the whole season that delivered more than 3.5".  I doubt that has happened since I have lived up here.   So this season was a C- or D+.

Great day today.  Best part is that the black flies have not come out.  Real greenup coming next week.  Love NNE!

Untitled.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gene mentioned black flies, they actually came out last week here, was getting swarmed for a few days, thinking a few nights  down to 25F and 30F this week knocked them back hopefully, haven't seen any since then.

 I'm sure it's only a matter of time till the next batch hatches...unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dendrite said:

What year is that with under 20” entering March?

The mountain scrolls say it was 1960-61.

What a way to run a winter... bare minimum in the heart of winter then some big storms in March and April.  Early snows, nothing in the middle, then late snows.  The NNE way, ha.  Might need to wait for it, but it'll snow eventually.

 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.bfe0142bf07542fe65cfc703a5bc32a1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think (for my area) this winter is a wrap.  I have had accumulating snow as late as Memorial Day weekend but I don't see any cold coming and snow chances greatly decrease by May 1

Great day today.  Best part is that the black flies have not come out.  Real greenup coming next week.  Love NNE!

 

raked all day on Winnisquam - it is  very dry up there and the trees are ready to blow up next week. easily 2 weeks ahead of schedule right now. Beautiful day today. and NO black flies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black fly hatch is starting. Was outside today in Franconia and 2 or 3 were trying to get at my eyeballs...not swarm season yet, but the early risers have hatched

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back here after the Pittston Farm trip.  Most snow we saw looked like 8"+ on high ground a few miles south of Jackman.  Had a brief white-out there (vis <50') as a gust emptied some treetops.  Hit a few minutes of S+ on Rt 15 heading toward Rockwood, then switched to logging roads, which were snow-covered with a 2-track from earlier (sparse) traffic - fun drive in our 2WD 15-passenger van.  Got to Pittston Farm at 4 PM, about 6" with S- and temp was 29 and their 2 windmills (towers ~100') sounded like a heavy-lift helicopter when the wind hit.  Low 20s Friday morning with winds like Thurs, cloudy all day with some S- in the AM, high of 48.  Only got down to 40 Sat morning, about 60 when we headed home at 1 PM, snow all gone except on some shaded north slopes, gravel roads dry other than the occasional mudhole, and they weren't as slimy as on Thurs afternoon.  The fields are usually covered with geese when we're there in late April but saw none there - heard a flock pre-dawn Sat and saw a lone bird in the river (South Branch Penobscot).  Good times, had to be careful eating there as the food is so good. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Black fly hatch is starting. Was outside today in Franconia and 2 or 3 were trying to get at my eyeballs...not swarm season yet, but the early risers have hatched

There were some flying around my head yesterday as well. A couple of early skeeters too. And one huge, very hungry, horsefly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By end of next week 18z gfs has a persistent NE Trough w a active pattern and low thickness in SE Canada .Wouldn’t take too much if that general look is maintained (NNE elevations) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to stay off the mountain, even if it's human powered elevation gain and not lift-powered.

Happy to get back out on the mountain on as many days as possible with the dog again.  After the hustle and bustle of winter operations, the quiet off-season on the hill is a special time.  Talk about a low stress time of year, just wandering around with man's best friend.

477862024_April24.thumb.jpg.642140a847f8cd1e1e6a124a9dd1fcbf.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.11” L.E.

 

As the models suggested, some snow moved into the area with the colder temperatures on the back side of the current system.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from Dartmouth to find a bit of snow still on the ground and 32 degrees. It was a beautiful warm day there with trees in bloom. What a sad (for us) difference lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cold and windy day here.  Wind seems to be overachieving.   Just had a gust to 38mph which is impressive for my station.  Lost power an hour ago but my trusty Verizon hotspot and laptop keep me going.

Alex,  Nice moose picture.   Speaking of wildlife we lost a Newfound Bald Eagle last week.  It was just sitting by the road.  Fish and game came and got it.  Went to the bird rehaber.  The eagle had lots of lead in him.   They couldn't save the bird.   On the otherhand bears are everywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Cold and windy day here.  Wind seems to be overachieving.   Just had a gust to 38mph which is impressive for my station.  Lost power an hour ago but my trusty Verizon hotspot and laptop keep me going.

Alex,  Nice moose picture.   Speaking of wildlife we lost a Newfound Bald Eagle last week.  It was just sitting by the road.  Fish and game came and got it.  Went to the bird rehaber.  The eagle had lots of lead in him.   They couldn't save the bird.   On the otherhand bears are everywhere!

Lead as in fishing sinkers or lead as in pellets from a shotgun shell?  Either way, it's a shame.  I haven't seen a moose in quite a while.  Maybe my favorite North Woods animal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.