Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Christmas Storm V

Cold Rain

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what happens at 48 is probably the deciding point . This northern vort could dig more, be a little east, west. Probably the closest call to a big system I've ever seen so close (other than Jan 2000 and wasn't paying attention then)

post-38-0-67155000-1293165608.gif

post-38-0-96925300-1293165759.gif

You never know...it may still come to fruition (A big system plowing through the Carolinas) this weekend...:whistle:

You never know...it may still come to fruition (A big system plowing through the Carolinas) this weekend...:whistle:

it could. Most of our biggest and best snows came from within 72 hours I think. And were modeled to be minor. Forecasting snow and betting on it actually coming, in any amount really (as even last week's 30 minute burst proved) is hard around here. Its just extremely hard to predict with any confidence.

what happens at 48 is probably the deciding point . This northern vort could dig more, be a little east, west. Probably the closest call to a big system I've ever seen so close (other than Jan 2000 and wasn't paying attention then)

post-38-0-67155000-1293165608.gif

post-38-0-96925300-1293165759.gif

DT throwed around Jan 2000 a few minutes ago, Of course I didn't get a flake :(

Heard in the 0z thread it came way west, but still a little east of gfs

I found it. It is tough to tell from the graphics I am seeing. It is west but still still too far out to impact the coast with much in the way of precip. It is somewhat elongated as well. It is more like a hybrid of tonight's NAM and GFS. That is certainly an improvement over previous runs but not great by any stretch.

I found it. It is tough to tell from the graphics I am seeing. It is west but still still too far out to impact the coast with much in the way of precip. It is somewhat elongated as well. It is more like a hybrid of tonight's NAM and GFS. That is certainly an improvement over previous runs but not great by any stretch.

They say it has a super surpressed bias also ?

I was in Raleigh for the Jan 2000 storm. At one point during the night it was snowing at 2-3 in/hr, and the flakes were so small, and filled the air so completely, that I wondered if there could be enough oxygen out there to breathe - truly! Of course, I had to go out and see if I could take a breath...

Plymouth is your quickest update for the UK (0, 6, 12, & 18z) runs through 72 hrs

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/make.html

After that, Meteociel updates an hour later with the panels through 144

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?carte=1021&ech=6&nh=1&archive=0

e-wall is also a source, but slower than the two listed above :)

Remember the Canadian sent the upper low to Cuba last time, so don't sweat it.

I'm not sweating anything. :) I'm way out of the game w/ my location in terms of the Gulf low. Also, it's not wise to discount an entire model that probably(I've not seen it yet, but have heard...) has support from the UKMET. Though the UKMET trended west, it's still east of the GFS operational. Nonetheless, I think it has been well documented this evening that the complexities of this system are making the models waffle quite a bit.

What if the EURO brings back our storm do you trust it or throw it out?

I'd trust it...Euro showing what it did 6 runs in a row, then not for a couple of runs, then bringing it back on the 0z Friday...that's within 48hrs or so (depending on speed). I'd say if the Euro brings it back, GFS and NAM should trend tomorrow the same. Euro doesn't show up, towel time...although I don't believe trace-1" amounts for Central NC...

I know I'm out of the game (just hoping for some flurries) But I thank you are in a pretty good spot this time, You still have plenty of time for a good hit. I hope you get it too ! :thumbsup:

Thank you and yeah it could still happen to some degree here for sure. I haven't given up yet.

I have told quite a few people also, I guess us weather weenies never learn!devilsmiley.gif On to the next big storm as they say! I have a feeling that we are looking @ a 2000 situation.

Yea me too ! We don't get notta again this time. :thumbsdown: Man I told alot of people we were going to have a white Christmas this year and I felt really good about couple days ago, But wow what one run can do to you. lol

It would have to bring it back to bury us to get me excited. We didn't even put all the plows on the trucks or load any salt up. We did that years ago and caught off guard, maybe that is what will happen this year as I am not expecting to work at all. Really thought this was going to be a huge event but as Big Frosty talked all week we both had serious doubt. Off to bed, maybe wake up to a surprisewhistle.gif

I'm not trusting any damn model at this point. That said, my confidence will go up if the Euro shifts west.

I have way less chance than you, But I have to admit I'm getting a little more interested again tonight. GFS real close, Can. looks alot closer even though it's still ots it did make a vast inprovement, Ukie come way west etc..... BUT if euro don't move west some tonight, I'm done with this one ! :angry:

Archived