• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Storm V

Cold Rain

Man, this place got quiet! I hope everyone is getting some rest before we come down the home stretch. So last night, we had the 0Z Nam rip us a new one with a fast, weak, STJ s/w, the 0Z GFS take a step in the right direction, the 0Z Canadian suppress itself, the 0Z Ukmet come back to the coast a bit, the 0Z Euro back away from the apocalyptic scenario, the 6Z Nam move back toward a stronger, slower STJ s/w, only to nose-dive it in the Gulf, and the 6Z GFS look a bit better than the 0Z run. That about right?

Well, good morning folks. New day, new thread. Let's see if the models today can ingest some good data and come up with some reasonable solutions (between armaggedon and nothing). Lot's of potential still on the table. We need some good mojo, so bring everything you got. :snowman:

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put up my new discussion and video this morning.....on the blog, linked below.

The 0z Euro is really very similar to the previous 12z run. The key difference is really with the northern branch system. Instead of a consolidated piece of energy diving down into the southern branch system, you have a couple of different pieces.....one diving toward the southern branch system, and another in the Ohio Valley. This causes the phase to occur a bit later, greatly reducing the precip totals for the I-85 corridor.

This is a very minute detail, but that is why it is 'threading the needle.'

With that said, the 6z GFS was at least a step in the right direction.

Had some moderate flurries this AM around 4:30. I am kinda excited to see what the models are gonna do over the next 36 hrs. I relize there is alot of dissapointment this morning but no one relly knows what's gonna happen yet. Still some time for changes and some people are gonna have a white x-mas in the Southeast! Grab your favorite beverage & watch the event unfold. (pep talk over)

Thanks Matt. After reading the Euro disco from last night you statement of 'threading the needle" continued to roll through my head. Also the fact that the gfs is coming in a little wetter is nice. Do you agree with the current HPC thinking for the 3 day snowfall, form were we stand right now. Thanks man!!

day3_psnow_gt_04.gif

Put up my new discussion and video this morning.....on the blog, linked below.

The 0z Euro is really very similar to the previous 12z run. The key difference is really with the northern branch system. Instead of a consolidated piece of energy diving down into the southern branch system, you have a couple of different pieces.....one diving toward the southern branch system, and another in the Ohio Valley. This causes the phase to occur a bit later, greatly reducing the precip totals for the I-85 corridor.

This is a very minute detail, but that is why it is 'threading the needle.'

With that said, the 6z GFS was at least a step in the right direction.

Yeah, it is all a timing thing with the phasing. 6-12 hours later....a lot of unhappy folks. 6-12 hours earlier...a lot of very happy folks.

I don't have any big problems with that map. I am a bit surprised by the strip of higher probabilities (and low probability of 8"+) in there....I think they are relying on a lot of bias correction, which could be a good call.

Thanks Matt. After reading the Euro disco from last night you statement of 'threading the needle" continued to roll through my head. Also the fact that the gfs is coming in a little wetter is nice. Do you agree with the current HPC thinking for the 3 day snowfall, form were we stand right now. Thanks man!!

I am reminded this morning why the NWS Office do not get on the snow train and ride it off the cliff.

I am also reminded that sometime yesterday morning, someone posted that it was about time for the models to lose the storm just to have it ride back in in the last 36-48 hours. Let's hope this happens.

Dang, go to bed last night looking good for 12 inches+ and wake up this morning looking like very little. :thumbsdown:

I don't know why everyone would be upset. Every player is still on the field this late in the game. The potential is still present for this thing to be big, however it is all about the timing. We aren't going to know much until the morning of the event. The only thing we can do now is look for a consensus from the models on the low track, and then monitor the phasing as it occurs later in the game.

Thanks for talking us off the ledge, Matt!

I would be interested in your thoughts on the 6z NAM. When I looked at the 500mb maps, I though "wow, much better" .... but it really didn't translate to the surface ....

Yeah, it is all a timing thing with the phasing. 6-12 hours later....a lot of unhappy folks. 6-12 hours earlier...a lot of very happy folks.

I don't have any big problems with that map. I am a bit surprised by the strip of higher probabilities (and low probability of 8"+) in there....I think they are relying on a lot of bias correction, which could be a good call.

Awesome work man. Between your maps, radar and AFD info. Good freaking job.

Here is the current surface map that I have. Anyone have a good link to the active surface map

bwsfc.gif

Yep, not worried yet, too many things can happen. If things can trend toward the worse, they can also trend for the better.

I'm going to track the location of the low as frequently as possible on this map, starting this morning!

storm_track.jpg

Yeah, the 6z NAM was kind of like some other modeling with elongating and stringing out the northern branch energy....instead of the consolidated piece of energy diving into the southern system. So, the phasing is resisted by the rather tight, compact southern system. But, it too seemed to be better than its previous run.

I think 12z will be interesting....don't know how well at least the southern energy was sampled by the 0z runs.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the 6z NAM. When I looked at the 500mb maps, I though "wow, much better" .... but it really didn't translate to the surface ....

It's the same problem with the 0z Euro. The northern jet is overly consolidated and doesn't sharpen up enough

I think you might be on to something there.

He's definitely on to something. The southern branch energy was annihilated by the northern stream on last evenings runs. We all know that is a bias. Couple that with a large data hole where our southern stream wave was and you most likely will have some issues with modeling. I really believe that we may see a better 12z run with a stronger southern stream. Hopefully things will phase up just a bit earlier and dump the load on a good chunk of the SE.

He's definitely on to something. The southern branch energy was annihilated by the northern stream on last evenings runs. We all know that is a bias. Couple that with a large data hole where our southern stream wave was and you most likely will have some issues with modeling. I really believe that we may see a better 12z run with a stronger southern stream. Hopefully things will phase up just a bit earlier and dump the load on a good chunk of the SE.

Either way, 12z should offer clarity and consensus, I hope. It's time to show the cards.

Archived