Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021

wdrag

48 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Waiting another 12-48 hours before a possible thread on March 6-7.  Modeling potential exists for a large late winter coastal storm with snow inland and rain/snow coast. For now mostly Atlantic cod, but should continue to monitor.  

Strong cold high to the north could mean snows down to the coast. 

Really impressive potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Waiting another 12-48 hours before a possible thread on March 6-7.  Modeling potential exists for a large late winter coastal storm with snow inland and rain/snow coast. For now mostly Atlantic cod, but should continue to monitor.  

In other words there is still the possibility of the storm tracking too close to the coast since you mentioned it could still be another rainstorm there ? There will be  a fresh injection of cold enough air from Canada just prior to the possible storms arrival which is a needed ingredient for a SECS . Also hard to believe this storm will be suppressed like the ones in January when the blocking was too extreme or are the flows this time around going to be to separate and fast not allowing any type of phasing along the coastal plain ?

gfs_T850_us_32.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

In other words there is still the possibility of the storm tracking too close to the coast since you mentioned it could still be another rainstorm there ? There will be  a fresh injection of cold enough air from Canada just prior to the possible storms arrival which is a needed ingredient for a SECS . Also hard to believe this storm will be suppressed like the ones in January when the blocking was too extreme or are the flows this time around going to be to separate and fast not allowing any type of phasing along the coastal plain ?

gfs_T850_us_32.png

Hope you're right.  06z/27 GEFS split the northern and southern streams by the 7th and never hooked enough to give much of northward response (post tilt northern stream).  Would like to see the southern stream short wave come out faster, but it may not.  Then by the time it does, too late with little cold enough air remaining. Distant horizon in time.  Definitely not doing anything (from my initiation) for another day or 2 til some sort of model agreement on a northward translation close to the coast. 

IMO this is where we want to be about a week away on the GFS surface maps - don't want to be in the bullseye YET - just a shift 100 -150 miles to the west of the surface LP  - sharpening up the trough and we will be dealing with at least a SECS - that HP in southern Canada is also very important

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_31.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Yes, GFSv16 has ~half a foot along the e coast (I95 eastward from northern NC northeastward).   I'd like to the EPS/GEFS snow amounts start accumulating for this potential, before I jump in.  Lot's can wrong but interesting for sure. 

check those amounts out right on the Jersey coast Walt - and Long Island too - 21 inches  southern DelMarva ???I doubt if that will happen only there - what do you think ?

snku_acc.us_ne.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

check those amounts out right on the Jersey coast Walt - and Long Island too - 21 inches  southern DelMarva ???I doubt if that will happen only there - what do you think ?

snku_acc.us_ne.png

Nice to see but so much can shred or tighten up...  at this distant date... treat as another member and watch the EPS (and GEFS/GEPS)  24 hr qpf and snowfall, of course the 500MB pattern.   I could see this running up into New England or interior NJ with snow to rain as per some of the modeling i saw a day or two ago.  Worthy of self monitoring, plenty of patience and not too much time invested--in case it's a dissapointment.  Been a good winter. 

Walt

21 hours ago, wdrag said:

I wonder if cod taste better when they are stuffed with snow?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wdrag said:

Nice to see but so much can shred or tighten up...  at this distant date... treat as another member and watch the EPS (and GEFS/GEPS)  24 hr qpf and snowfall, of course the 500MB pattern.   I could see this running up into New England or interior NJ with snow to rain as per some of the modeling i saw a day or two ago.  Worthy of self monitoring, plenty of patience and not too much time invested--in case it's a dissapointment.  Been a good winter. 

Walt

Well this looks like a happy medium between the cutter/hugger scenarios and the OTS scenarios.  Would like to see it about 50-100 miles closer and stop there.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I wonder if cod taste better when they are stuffed with snow?

Doesn't look an event to me, unless we get a clipper that dives southeast from the Great Lakes and passes s of LI around the 7th-8th. Long ways to go.  Think I'd look for the clipper as a 'hope' for any widespread synoptic scale low pressure driven snow event, otherwise we have an unusually long essentially dry period here that lasts from March 2nd beyond March 9. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Doesn't look an event to me, unless we get a clipper that dives southeast from the Great Lakes and passes s of LI around the 7th-8th. Long ways to go.  Think I'd look for the clipper as a 'hope' for any widespread synoptic scale low pressure driven snow event, otherwise we have an unusually long essentially dry period here that lasts from March 2nd beyond March 9. 

Yeah, looks like the TPV that gives us the brief Arctic outbreak  Monday night into Tuesday acts to suppress the southern stream for a while.

36AC2260-FF9B-48C0-8AC2-905CB341DAAC.thumb.png.a99360026d4118b89397fe1294067ed0.png
420AE8B1-04A6-4AB2-8652-5A0E3CC5429B.thumb.png.e7d2289b12aa81faf123155469514618.png

6EBE6983-0DE3-4395-B957-7484D96BF670.thumb.png.1ae024b985c406eec477842b2245f445.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

this sounds familiar- didn't we also have this in January before the storms started piling in later in the month?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

The MJO running from phase 8-2 in March is not consistent with a warm March. 

Don't be surprised to see models back off the warmth. The short term Greenland block was definitely not expected. 

Funny how blocking just shows up out of nowhere sometimes....although this year it's not as much of a surprise given how much of it we've seen so far.

• Like 1