• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

wish they didn’t have to give up Seth or Drummond but they’ll pick up a center in the buyout market…Seth will be tougher to replace but I guess they are counting on joe  to keep progressing…overall it was more than I thought they’d have to give up but it defintiely makes them better now and the fact that Harden is reportedly opting in for next year is actually huge…I’m excited to see what harden can do…

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

wish they didn’t have to give up Seth or Drummond but they’ll pick up a center in the buyout market…Seth will be tougher to replace but I guess they are counting on joe  to keep progressing…overall it was more than I thought they’d have to give up but it defintiely makes them better now and the fact that Harden is reportedly opting in for next year is actually huge…I’m excited to see what harden can do…

IIRC, with all the fantastic stats that Harden has racked up over the years, he has never been on a team that won a championship (the same issue seen with people like Allen Iverson or Patrick Ewing).  So as long as Embiid doesn't get injured and given where they stand at the moment (even without any Simmons at all this season), and if the chemistry works out somehow (with Harden becoming the sort of "vet" of the team), then he could help propel the '76ers into the playoffs.  IMHO, Simmons probably never wanted to be here in the first place and we ended up with what we got... :huh:

3 hours ago, MacChump said:

They had to overpay to be done w/diva Simmons and his lofty contract. Imagine having a salary of 35mil/yr and opt to stay home? I could hate everyone in the organization, people throwing rocks/hand grenades on my way to work and I'd still go. 

Correct and most people don't know this but is huge. Harden is only under contract though next season. My guess is if the Sixers don't win a championship this year or next they won't extend Harden which is great and move on since he'll be 35. Hell, they saved money this year fining Simmons more than 20mil for not attending practices, meetings and such. 

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

IIRC, with all the fantastic stats that Harden has racked up over the years, he has never been on a team that won a championship (the same issue seen with people like Allen Iverson or Patrick Ewing).  So as long as Embiid doesn't get injured and given where they stand at the moment (even without any Simmons at all this season), and if the chemistry works out somehow (with Harden becoming the sort of "vet" of the team), then he could help propel the '76ers into the playoffs.  IMHO, Simmons probably never wanted to be here in the first place and we ended up with what we got... :huh:

it's a gamble and Morey is staking his career (at least in philly) on it but it should be fun

16 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

They had to overpay to be done w/diva Simmons and his lofty contract. Imagine having a salary of 35mil/yr and opt to stay home? I could hate everyone in the organization, people throwing rocks/hand grenades on my way to work and I'd still go. 

Correct and most people don't know this but is huge. Harden is only under contract though next season. My guess is if the Sixers don't win a championship this year or next they won't extend Harden which is great and move on since he'll be 35. Hell, they saved money this year fining Simmons more than 20mil for not attending practices, meetings and such. 

agreed on all counts

well, my 90 day forecast FWIW.

Brutal ending to Feb.  No more major snowfalls in Feb.  Temps warm up above average. Precip- dry as a bone with occasional light rain showers with progressive cool fronts- nothing more than 1 in at the max

March - only one decent chance for a major accumulating snow event. It will be the last hurrah and  capper for this pitiful winter. Most likely to take place  around the Philly Flower show time. Then it melts and Spring shows it face. Temps stay normal starting late March. Precip, dry as  a bone except for this  one major storm.   Major pattern change opens up late in March to a -NAO

April begins with the -NAO cloudy and cooler than normal before another new pattern change. After mid April, the stove turns on and dry conditions persist.  I expect drought conditions to persist until the GOM opens up with t-storms. I expect a hell of season for early severe weather threats for the midwest, TN Valley and even the Ohio Valley as temps change drastically in mid April in the new pattern change. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

March - only one decent chance for a major accumulating snow event. It will be the last hurrah and  capper for this pitiful winter. Most likely to take place  around the Philly Flower show time.

The Flower Show is outside again due to COVID-19 and will be held in June (11th - 19th) in FDR Park in South Philly near the stadiums.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The Flower Show is outside again due to COVID-19 and will be held in June (11th - 19th) in FDR Park in South Philly near the stadiums.

Flower show will be cancelled this year due to the massive Haboob’s blowing in from the Lehigh valley. The wildfires up there block out the sun for a time. Delaware river runs dry by June. Tough times ahead.;)

8 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Flower show will be cancelled this year due to the massive Haboob’s blowing in from the Lehigh valley. The wildfires up there block out the sun for a time. Delaware river runs dry by June. Tough times ahead.;)

yep, and salt water intrusion into the Delaware Bay becomes an issue as well. C'mon man. But really, the only one that will be laughing will be Nestle and Niagara as they raise the living hell out of the price for bottled water as they impose self restricted withdrawals from their water sources.  Over 75% of the bottled water sold in our area comes from the water bottlers in the LV, including any Samuel Adams beer, Ocean Spray products and coke products 

• Weenie 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, Albedoman said:

yep, and salt water intrusion into the Delaware Bay becomes an issue as well.  

FYI, the Delaware Bay is a saltwater body until you get to around Salem (give or take) which essentially is where it turns into the Delaware River. Sometimes during drought, the salt line can get up to the Commodore Barry Bridge. No evidence of such an event or even drought conditions at this current point.

So you think Nestlé is going to hike prices because of a water shortage? Not because of inflation or other skyrocketing prices? Cool narrative bro.

yep. Realistically,  both will contribute but as water sources become less efficient and ground water tables fall, fuel costs to transport rise dramatically as nearby water immediate well sources go off line as well as increased  pumping costs for each well.  It is not cheap to run the pumps deeper.  Self imposed restrictions  water withdrawal limits set by the company and as set by DRBC/PADEP permitting requirements for specific water withdrawals for each well will help contribute to the increase cost of production.   You may want to ask Voyager as I believe he operates  water tankers for a living. 

• Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Had a feeling that was coming.  I actually heard him on KYW do a weather report during this past storm, I think either yesterday or Thursday. It was the first time I heard him on the radio in a long time so figured he was really starting to phase himself out.

You could tell Glenn was fading himself out when he reduced his role to the morning weather broadcast. (Kinda like Jim Gardner only does the 6pm news) Also Glenn turned 70 so now he'll receive his full social security benefit. And a slick move to make Friday May 27th his last day (Memorial day weekend)...what a way to kick off summer.:sun:    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I got a bargain at just $4.15 today.

I think we'll hit at least $4.50 at some point, if not $5.00? We're not even in driving season yet.(Memorial day and further) I remember putting $20 in the tank back in the day and you're good for a while. Me/20gal tank $100.00 pretty soon...:arrowhead: 

11 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I think we'll hit at least $4.50 at some point, if not $5.00? We're not even in driving season yet.(Memorial day and further) I remember putting $20 in the tank back in the day and you're good for a while. Me/20gal tank $100.00 pretty soon...:arrowhead: 

$5? Being rather conservative.