Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18th ?19th?

Typhoon Tip

8 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Who opened the DEC 17/18th storm observation thread, we need them to do it again right now.  We should have an observation thread opened now, snow is overspreading western CT.

Snow is already in western CT? WOW! Snow was not expected to get up there this early, this screams overperformer in all of mass, CT, RI, even into NH/VT/ME. Unlike previous storms where the cape has been mostly rain this year I believe even the cape and islands is going to get  a foot. It will likely start as rain but as the low undergoes bombogenesis and comes up the coast even your area should go over to heavy snow due to stronger dynamics cooling off the temp profile.

• Weenie 4

Just now, George001 said:

Snow is already in western CT? WOW! Snow was not expected to get up there this early, this screams overperformer in all of mass, CT, RI, even into NH/VT/ME. Unlike previous storms where the cape has been mostly rain this year I believe even the cape and islands is going to get  a foot. It will likely start as rain but as the low undergoes bombogenesis and comes up the coast even your area should go over to heavy snow due to stronger dynamics cooling off the temp profile.

I don’t believe there is snow in CT right now.  Radar shows some potential  virga  but it will be awhile before it’s snowing there.

Just now, George001 said:

Imagine if had snowed about 20 minutes sooner...the dawn could have awakened to 3 feet!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t believe there is snow in CT right now.  Radar shows some potential  virga  but it will be awhile before it’s snowing there.

Jerry,  the Virga is undergoing bombogenesis and RI in the cloud tops. That should moisten the whole column explosively and may lead to thunder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Imagine if had snowed about 20 minutes sooner...the dawn could have awakened to 3 feet!!!

That was my fault, I meant to ask if anyone was seeing snow in western CT.  The radar does show the upper levels moistening quickly especially over the South Coasts of CT, RI and SE MA, CC and Islands.  Our surface low is beginning to take shape off the Carolinas as pressure falls have increased to 1mb/hour.

• Like 1

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

That was my fault, I meant to ask if anyone was seeing snow in western CT.  The radar does show the upper levels moistening quickly especially over the South Coasts of CT, RI and SE MA, CC and Islands.  Our surface low is beginning to take shape off the Carolinas as pressure falls have increased to 1mb/hour.

BDR at 28/4.  Not exactly imminent 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

What’s the current pressure of the storm vs modeled?

Just now, weathafella said:

BDR at 28/4.  Not exactly imminent 

No but the different tilts suggest it is moistening over the Cape Cod area, especially east of HYA. but surface observations suggest it is quite dry at the surface, 50% humidity.  Hey Jerry, did you see the 00z UKMET, man robust surface cyclogenesis and it almost brings warning criteria snows in 12 hours to the Cape.  It develops the CCB last second, so the 0.50 inch of QPF develops too late.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I live just South of Newburgh in the middle of that band. There is not a flake yet here let alone 30 miles to my East in Danbury. 

6 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Thanks Don

I've never used PMM before. Anyone know how probability-matched mean is calculated and when to use it compared to the regular mean?

From SPC:

"Conceptually, PMM (probability-matched mean) is a variation of the ensemble mean with the original ensemble amplitude restored. At each grid point, the ensemble mean value is replaced with a value from the full distribution of individual member forecasts whose rank matches the point's rank within the ensemble mean distribution."

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Hey George001, 

this is the location of the low pressure center right now according to the best surface observations I could find.

surface low depiction

Thanks, based on this observation the 12k nam is around 25-50 miles east and 1mb weaker than the current obs. There appears to be more convection down south as well, which is aiding in earlier deepening of the low as it comes up the coast. This should translate to both a farther west and stronger low as it comes up the coast.

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

Thanks, based on this observation the 12k nam is around 25-50 miles east and 1mb weaker than the current obs. There appears to be more convection down south as well, which is aiding in earlier deepening of the low as it comes up the coast. This should translate to both a farther west and stronger low as it comes up the coast.

I am not sure it is enough for widespread 12"+ amounts for most of SNE and NH and VT.