• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

The LES machine is very likely to crank in a week. I can see one of those 60-80"+ events on the horizon and I might be being conservative given the projected delta-T. Both lakes are still very mild and Erie is wide open. 

I think I'm going to go a little conservative for Erie, but Ontario is going to dump.

• Like 2

Yeah the european was little east of 12z, heaviest precip along the coast.. Other guidance keeping the pieces separate at the moment..So we'll see..Lol 

Once again I'd rather the gfs :P

Shows how much track matters, the guidance that keeps them separate are all Long duration westerly events while the European is almost all WNW due to its eastern track..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah the european was little east of 12z, heaviest precip along the coast.. Other guidance keeping the pieces separate at the moment..So we'll see..Lol 

Once again I'd rather the gfs :P

Shows how much track matters, the guidance that keeps them separate are all Long duration westerly events while the European is almost all WNW due to its eastern track..

I wouldn't be so quick to discount large noreasters that move up the Hudson river Valley for your area.  A synoptic system and the Lake effect behind it could be just as epic. The old one-two punch....long time coming!  Plus, this board would be happier overall, lol!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn’t a cold February rare for a Nina winter? I thought BuffaloWeather posted that things were trending more towards neutral Enso so that could be why. I thought a warmer than average February was nearly a lock based on everything I saw early in the season. Glad it’s not and it’s got the looks of a really good month upcoming both synoptically and lake effect although with the temps coming up by the end of next week it sure looks like Erie will begin icing over for sure at that point. 

19 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Isn’t a cold February rare for a Nina winter? I thought BuffaloWeather posted that things were trending more towards neutral Enso so that could be why. I thought a warmer than average February was nearly a lock based on everything I saw early in the season. Glad it’s not and it’s got the looks of a really good month upcoming both synoptically and lake effect although with the temps coming up by the end of next week it sure looks like Erie will begin icing over for sure at that point. 

I think it was Vortex yesterday that said “you can thank the SSW for that”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

It is usually warm in La Ninas but the SSW is helping.  Check this out.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Not sure how accurate this is, but it has started with all those cold nights.

image.png.7b0399be14c3c7a7d5e9a4295456dacc.png

It appears to me this first event off Erie will be moderate (in lake effect parameters) and will affect metro north towns and the second more impactful event next week is a south towns special. 

10 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It appears to me this first event off Erie will be moderate (in lake effect parameters) and will affect metro north towns and the second more impactful event next week is a south towns special. 

Far too early for calls like that. Won't know details until later this week.

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I guess that’s what I was looking at as well. The globals, which admittedly suck at LES, the GFS shows the potential longer on the Friday Saturday timeframe than the euro which would bring in more if a synoptic event next Sunday. 

We have to cash in the next 2 weeks as the lake will 100% be frozen in 3 weeks time. That cold air coming means business. The 2nd event reminds me of Jan 2014 as the lake was freezing as the event unfolded. Totals were reduced due to this. That was the coldest LES storm I was ever in. There were constant blizzard conditions with wind chills in negative teens. I remember it was tough for me to walk in it for more then 5-10 minutes.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2013-2014&event=G

• Like 1