Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Synoptic Snowstorm 2/1-2/4

22 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Looks to me some dry-slotting about to happen:

Screenshot.png

Beware the Slot!  With a storm this tucked in, i wasn't believing what the Euro was selling for snow totals in/around NYC, esp out on LI and into SNE.  Seen this movie way too many times living down there.  They need a storm to be out closer to the Benchmark to be safe, esp on more wound-up systems.

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s never too late for the EURO imho! That’s one of those old wives tales that won’t die. It still ingests way more info than other models right up to go time. I’ve never heard a good explanation as to why we discount global s inside 24-36? 

Because we usually get all "modeled out" by gametime? 

8 minutes ago, tim123 said:

None of the meso models have this snow area. New hrrr has mix getting up to catskills.

Pretty dry. The storm sits off NYC and just dries up? I don’t buy it. 
Ive got a really good feeling about this one. It’s juicier than any guidance. HRRR doesn’t have any of this precip. 

This winter has potential to be Binghamtons all time winter season. They've jack-potted in every single event.

https://goldensnowball.com/

GSB Cities The 2020 - 2021
Snow Season
Normal Average 
to Date
This Time 
Last Season
Normal
Seasons Average
All Time Season 
Snowfall Record

Binghamton 67.4 46.8 39.4 83.4 135.2 inches (2016 - 2017)
Buffalo 44.0 61.5 41.9 94.7 199.4 inches (1976 - 1977)
Albany 39.5 34.7 35.3 60.2 112.5 inches (1970 - 1971)
Syracuse 37.5 76.6 46.3 123.8 192.1 inches (1992 - 1993)
Rochester 33.6 57.4 62.0 99.5 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This winter has potential to be Binghamtons all time winter season. They've jack-potted in every single event.

Eh, I was looking at these numbers yesterday and think it will be a long shot. All time snowiest was 2016-17 with 135" and by end of January 2017 we had 70". As of yesterday we were at 68". In 2017, we had 23" in Feb and also had the big 30"+ blizzard in March. This winter still has alot of work to do to keep up.

• Like 3

Just now, BGM Blizzard said:

Eh, I was looking at these numbers yesterday and think it will be a long shot. All time snowiest was 2016-17 with 136" and by end of January 2017 we had 70". As of yesterday we were at 68". In 2017, we had 23" in Feb and also had the big 30"+ blizzard in March. This winter still has alot of work to do to keep up.

If you get 12-18" for this storm and next weeks looks big too. That would put you over 100 and pattern looks good going forward. Potential is there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If you get 12-18" for this storm and next weeks looks big too. That would put you over 100 and pattern looks good going forward. Potential is there.

Yeah not impossible if the pattern is supportive. Would be pretty amazing to break the all time record again after just 4 years. 2015-16 was the least snowiest on record too, so it would be a 3rd all-time record breaker in a 6 year span.

• Like 1

Just now, BGM Blizzard said:

Yeah not impossible if the pattern is supportive. Would be pretty amazing to break the all time record again after just 4 years. 2015-16 was the least snowiest on record too, so it would be 3 record breakers in a 6 year span.

My uncle and aunt live there in the hills, they said its been a fun winter. Snowcover the entire winter so far.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

My uncle and aunt live there in the hills, they said its been a fun winter. Snowcover the entire winter so far.

Yep, for sure. The Xmas eve washout took away about 80% of our snowpack the week after the big 44" storm, but we've sustained atleast 4 inches on the ground since that storm.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

NAMs ticked up here...time will tell

Thinking 11-12 total here including what already fallen.

Outside of the east facing slopes of the Catskills, LEK spot in the hills of West Central Madison Co looks like the model consensus bullseye for upstate.

627875307_nam-218-all-nystate-total_precip_inch-2386000(1).thumb.png.dc13d0e5da1eb0dd9a8c3c64f6b63217.png1671686535_nam-218-all-nystate-total_snow_kuchera-2386000(1).thumb.png.244d3c54d633e0ad4e61e1fe471fe06b.png

We've been in some darker returns for the past few hrs with absolutely nothing to show for it, as we're having a virga party. 

It was completely Sunny here for a few hrs as well and it dried up pretty good in that time frame so we've been trying to saturate ever since and its having a hard time doing so as the 700mb re orientates itself as the coastal continues to stack.

• Sad 1