Most Online
    Jun Zz
    Newest Member
    Jun Zz
2021 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Agreed.

I built a couple beds three years ago to replace some half-assed beds I built about ten years ago. My results have been fantastic.

Prior to this, we had direct planted into the ground. This resulted in so many problems, mainly because our soil goes to heavy clay about a foot down. Our beds are 8 inches raised, plus the 10 to 12 inches of modified existing soil has created a reliable profile for the next couple of years. I went further and got a container of fishing worms for each bed and scattered them on the top one evening to let them work in. Hopefully these efforts pay off.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, Eskimo Joe said:

Thanks for posting this. I usually top my tomatoes around the end of September since there's still a good amount of growing happening until then. Only problem is that my plants have gone so nuts by that point that it's easy to miss some of the suckers that have grown out since I stopped trimming them!

13 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

The horrible annual cicadas have been the worse here I can remember.  I can't even enjoy sitting out on the deck with those ear-splitting things constantly screeching.  Anyone else notice them being worse than most year?  And is it related to the Brood X emergence earlier this summer?

They seem really loud this year, but I can’t tell whether I’m just hyper-sensitive to them now.

• 3 weeks later...

Harvested just shy of 4 lbs of mostly San Marzano Gigante and Jersey Devil tomatoes today. Will probably harvest about the same amount this weekend, most of which will be Pomodoro Squisito.

I’ve been impressed with the PS. They mature relatively slowly, but they remain viable for a long time on the vine and after harvest. The SMG and JD are definitely better sauce tomatoes, but the PS are great for a lot of uses.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, mattie g said:

Harvested just shy of 4 lbs of mostly San Marzano Gigante and Jersey Devil tomatoes today. Will probably harvest about the same amount this weekend, most of which will be Pomodoro Squisito.

I’ve been impressed with the PS. They mature relatively slowly, but they remain viable for a long time on the vine and after harvest. The SMG and JD are definitely better sauce tomatoes, but the PS are great for a lot of uses.

I've harvested over 400 pounds of Better Boy tomatoes from 24 plants. Not bragging though lol

On 10/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Looking for a little advice on garlic. Does anyone have an opinion on hard or soft neck? Favorite varieties?

I prefer hardneck. I generally stick with Music since, aside from a couple years ago, I use cloves from the previous year for planting.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, dailylurker said:

I've harvested over 400 pounds of Better Boy tomatoes from 24 plants. Not bragging though lol

Are you still harvesting? I've still got probably 25-30 lbs on the vine on my eight plants.

I generally don't weigh my tomatoes before processing, but I've filled 10 gallon bags with cored and seeded tomatoes at an average of 5.5 lbs per bag. That makes a nice amount of sauce over the winter, and the seven pints of smoked salsa I made a couple weeks ago with those things is worth every bit of the work that goes into going from seed to fruit!

• Like 1

Grass weenies…the last 2 weeks were pretty ideal for grass germination. I put some seed down before but as usual a lot didn’t take and I still have lots of weird bare spots. Did I miss the window now with real October returning Sunday? Or could I still seed and get it to start now?

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Grass weenies…the last 2 weeks were pretty ideal for grass germination. I put some seed down before but as usual a lot didn’t take and I still have lots of weird bare spots. Did I miss the window now with real October returning Sunday? Or could I still seed and get it to start now?

You’ve still got time. I’m aerating and seeding mine this week. I won’t rake my leaves though. I will just mow often.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.