Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

26 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There were MSM hit pieces today basically trying to blame Reddit forums for ganging up against the big financial institutions and creating runs.  Lol.  

This will all implode badly but until then, “power  to the peeps”!   Squeezing the institutional shorts long and hard in an organized manner is not a crime.  Yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I guess my question is why do we care about people who shorted the stock losing money? Too bad for them. 

If I invest 1k in a company that goes belly up tomorrow and I lose all my money, nobody is going to bat an eye.

Shorting a stock shouldn’t even be allowed. You shouldn’t be able to bet on or leverage the downfall of any particular company. Seems to undermine the whole purpose of having a stock market.

You need not care for short sellers, but they actually do serve an important role in price discovery, uncovering corporate bad behavior, and providing liquidity. It does not bode well for the markets generally when you have such a one-sided bullish slant. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I guess bailed out may be the wrong phrasing... but is halting trading not allowing the price to go even higher?

So basically, the losses are being capped at what they are?

I don’t know, seems like a case where the rich are stomping around because they are being beat at their own game.

Aint so fun when the rabbits got the gun.

I’m with you.  I love seeing the tables turned on some of these experts.  Shows the power of Reddit... same with when TicTock users bought tickets to Trump rallies.  Large groups on the internet can collectively have a big impact.

I laugh every time I think of Game Stop... what an obsolete store.  Like Blockbuster and movies, all video games are purchased and downloaded now.  There is zero reason for a brick and mortar store.  It’s hilarious watching the Reddit trading groups absolutely hose the big traders with massive losses for many short sellers.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I’m with you.  I love seeing the tables turned on some of these experts.  Shows the power of Reddit... same with when TicTock users bought tickets to Trump rallies.  Large groups on the internet can collectively have a big impact.

I laugh every time I think of Game Stop... what an obsolete store.  Like Blockbuster and movies, all video games are purchased and downloaded now.  There is zero reason for a brick and mortar store.  It’s hilarious watching the Reddit trading groups absolutely hose the big traders with massive losses for many short sellers.

The "power of Reddit" was just banned by the corporate-owned admins of Reddit, I'm afraid.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hearing that WallStreetBets was removed from Reddit? I really don't like all this censorship...

It’s still a private company.  What’s wrong is we as humans put all our eggs into these companies and then think of it as free speech.

Maybe the gov’t needs to come up with a free public social platform.  I don’t know the answer but we are using private companies to share our voices.  Social media is a user opt-in platform, not a right.

• Like 2

It’s still a private company.  What’s wrong is we as humans put all our eggs into these companies and then think of it as free speech.

Maybe the gov’t needs to come up with a free public social platform.  I don’t know the answer but we are using private companies to share our voices.  Social media is a user opt-in platform, not a right.

This take is less good when those "private companies" control every single aspect of having a voice on the Internet. Then government literally has zero say. 

I hope you see the issue here with mass censorship. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I won’t be shedding any tears for the hedge fund folks who lose billions of dollars.

if you fly to close to the sun, you’re going to get burned 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The "power of Reddit" was just banned by the corporate-owned admins of Reddit, I'm afraid.

I dunno, I don’t expect total unrestricted free speech on these platforms.  Whether it’s AMWX or Reddit.  We sign up to these platforms and agree to them having complete control over the content.

We are more than welcome to create our own platform...and *that* is free speech.

• Like 2

I dunno, I don’t expect free speech on these platforms.  Whether it’s AMWX or Reddit.  We sign up to these platforms and agree to them having complete control over the content.

Then there is no free speech anywhere on the Internet. That's an opinion to have, I guess. That's certainly where it is headed. I guess you are still free to scream your thoughts from a mountaintop, until the govt outsources control of that state park to a corporation, at least...

• Haha 1

The idea that censorship on the Internet is not an issue because you can write a pamphlet or something is like something from 250 years ago. LOL

But OK.

You can't even create your own alternative platform. Parler tried. They shut it down.

If you run afoul of Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, and a handful of other corporations... you can be totally erased from the most important communication tool we have today.

You guys are cool with that for some reason?

• Haha 2

Retailers falling fast now after hours . I don’t have a huge problem with this WSB ban , bc it wasn’t going to end well for the broad market which connects to almost everyone - even indirectly . I don’t think many understand what was at stake as contagion spread and I don’t think many would like the knock on effects of said contagion once the genie is out of bottle . Sort of like how the effects of Covid lockdowns ripple , this market contagion would threaten to ripple And destabilize and that is good for no one , it *could go much further * than several stocks going sky high . That would be ugly for many wether you own stocks or not . 

There are other forums to organize- so it probably will - 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Then there is no free speech anywhere on the Internet. That's an opinion to have, I guess. That's certainly where it is headed. I guess you are still free to scream your thoughts from a mountaintop, until the govt outsources control of that state park to a corporation, at least...

Yeah on the internet... someone else made something for people to share ideas but they still hold the cards.  At some point a media will be made with 100% free speech.  But we are still using someone else’s invention/platform.  You are still able to voice yourself in the same ways as you were prior to the internet.  I signed a term of agreement before logging on here.

• Like 1

Yeah on the internet... someone else made something for people to share ideas but they still hold the cards.  At some point a media will be made with 100% free speech.  But we are still using someone else’s invention/platform.  You are still able to voice yourself in the same ways as you were prior to the internet.

You sure?

Can't gather with large crowds to preach or deliver speeches "due to public health concerns." Books have been getting banned by publishers left and right...

I don't agree all is well. Just my take.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Bad take, IMO.

Fair enough , i believe people were playing with weapons they didn’t understand the capabilities of , and some of the intent was to bring the system down which sounds all funny until it begins to and then people realize it’s a problem . A real big problem . I don’t think most really understand how fast the market *can * unwind and effect everyone and it’s not always easy to put humpty dumpty back together . This was going to Have a decent shot of doIng much more than hurt some hedge funds and short sellers in a couple more days . It ripples fast and far with this financial system which is Booby trapped by derivatives. That is the _**only reason I support that sort of action.

But I mean anything that makes money will probably find a way to reorganize and we shall see if they send stocks to the moon in morning 

GME “fell” to 250 and is now 290

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

His whole host of tweets crack me up. 

Dave Portnoy who has also been the leader of the Retail traders in a sense since March had a "emergency video" and this  tweet to offer to host them as well. Grab your popcorn till Friday close 

Portnoy likely causing some consternation for some.