Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LOL I reminded him of that on twitter Monday AM, and I think he really got spooked

It's like he's realizing something that many mets realized a decade ago.  It doesn't matter to the masses unless it's realized at the SFC level.  Still is very useful information for the science, but the perception and verification is what happens on the ground.

• Like 2

Well I jumped in the middle that conversation so I don’t know what you guys were really talking about

I just thought that was funny how Cohen seemed informing us that people have an IMBY attitude. No shit really

Also I still have not seen any definitive evidence to prove that this is a downward or propagating warm anomaly ... Open to seeing that down motion evidence if provide  

I think this is a warm anomaly that upwelled from below ...up into the tropopause and is folding over in the euro products because that warm node has been there over the north east Siberian Alaskan sector all autumn long and there was never any over arcing high sigma  level s-stratospheric warming thermal plume detected in the CDAS

But ironically… and to Cohen’s point… It’s not gonna matter because that feature folding into the flow would probably cause a giant ridge explosion in the EPO and that’s going to set things akilter towards a cold storm pattern should that actually evolve that way. So who cares what’s the difference

SSWs have been wonderful tools for exciting energy traders and moving those markets. The allure is starting to fade I think, especially when every year there is talk of stratospheric “something” and also the fact many of them aren’t successful for big cold in the US. They either don’t propagate down or can dump cold over Europe instead. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

SSWs have been wonderful tools for exciting energy traders and moving those markets. The allure is starting to fade I think, especially when every year there is talk of stratospheric “something” and also the fact many of them aren’t successful for big cold in the US. They either don’t propagate down or can dump cold over Europe instead. 

We’ve been through this every winter when a certain someone calls for SSW. Eventually it happens...but 1/10 isn’t a great verification score. 

I guess what irritates me most about the SSW is that there is far too much hype around it considering the level of uncertainty. Everybody wants to cyber-spank it to pretty pictures of the temperature at 63,347 feet up, but no one wants to be accountable when nothing happens at the surface. I'm sorry, but if you forecast a severe NE winter (this is a general statement, not directed at anyone) and a SSW occurs that has relatively little impact at the surface, then your forecast is still a failure. Anyone who can't handle that probably shouldn't engage in seasonal forecasting.

• Like 2

Ray, I love miller Bs, they tend to work out more often then not for the Cape and Islands.  Especially the Jan 05 system and to a lesser extent the Jan 15 system which was a digging miller B event.  Miller Bs are the best for my area.  We have to wait another ten days, the wait is killing me for a great Cape Cod storm.  I would not be surprised to see this weekend begin to pop back up to a Cape Cod special down the line.  Models have a different solution every run, there is no continuity and no consensus.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Ray, I love miller Bs, they tend to work out more often then not for the Cape and Islands.  Especially the Jan 05 system and to a lesser extent the Jan 15 system which was a digging miller B event.  Miller Bs are the best for my area.  We have to wait another ten days, the wait is killing me for a great Cape Cod storm.  I would not be surprised to see this weekend begin to pop back up to a Cape Cod special down the line.  Models have a different solution every run, there is no continuity and no consensus.

Jan 05 was garbage.....I know you probably loved it but there were losers.....it was an early introduction to SNE winter.....we had moved in previous August......the result was so meh compared to forecast....here anyway....

31 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

You aren't getting snow this wknd.

• Like 4