Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm likely going to surpass you and break 20" for the season today, but snowcover retention has been absolutely awful here.  Just goes to show how the flavor of winter can differ in 2 places that aren't located terribly far from each other.

Yeah it's one of the things that keeps this hobby interesting. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MIstorm97 said:

As frustrating as it has been getting largely missed by the last two storms and having a mostly dead first half of January, it at least feels like winter now. Monthly total is up to 11.7” and we have had a consistent 2-4” depth for the past week. Ready for a better February. Season total is some how 22.5”, as we have gotten a lot of 1-3.5” snowfalls. 

It's very frustrating!  Im annoyed that weve missed out on what the western part of the sub has had in January, mainly the past week. The ridiculous talk around Christmas about seasonal futility for Chicago, when literally 4 months of snow potential remained, kinda pisses me off because it was stupid talk then  & salt in the wound now. Season total here is 19.8" but only 6.0" of it came in January (all nickels and dimes) and while the last week it has looked like Winter it has not been much. December was a far better month.  There is certainly lots of potential in February so I won't say anything else now but if this keeps up in February I will be ranting more.

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's very frustrating!  Im annoyed that weve missed out on what the western part of the sub has had in January, mainly the past week. The ridiculous talk around Christmas about seasonal futility for Chicago, when literally 4 months of snow potential remained, kinda pisses me off because it was stupid talk then  & salt in the wound now. Season total here is 19.8" but only 6.0" of it came in January (all nickels and dimes) and while the last week it has looked like Winter it has not been much. December was a far better month.  There is certainly lots of potential in February so I won't say anything else now but if this keeps up in February I will be ranting more.

I always find it interesting how much variability can exist over small distances. I have almost twice as much snow this month compared to you and DTW. That one clipper really helped out a week ago and made our depth better. Now if these next few systems don’t work out I’ll be taking up permanent residence in the banter thread. Some members who know me off the board already know I’m on thin ice from going full meltdown mode over this winter. Another string of failures will be the push. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm a near match to you at 19.8"...and I have 1-2" on the ground:unsure:

Yeah the timing definitely made a difference.  Winter didn't really show up here till Dec 29th, and since then it's been cold with lots of refresher events.  Haven't gotten out of the 30s since Dec 27th, and most of the time we've been below freezing.  On Dec 23 we hit 61, that seems like eons ago lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIstorm97 said:

I always find it interesting how much variability can exist over small distances. I have almost twice as much snow this month compared to you and DTW. That one clipper really helped out a week ago and made our depth better. Now if these next few systems don’t work out I’ll be taking up permanent residence in the banter thread. Some members who know me off the board already know I’m on thin ice from going full meltdown mode over this winter. Another string of failures will be the push. 

We essentially swapped Dec and Jan for the northern and southeast suburbs. The Dec events were better here.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah the timing definitely made a difference.  Winter didn't really show up here till Dec 29th, and since then it's been cold with lots of refresher events.  Haven't gotten out of the 30s since Dec 27th, and most of the time we've been below freezing.  On Dec 23 we hit 61, that seems like eons ago lol.

Cleveland has had 29.0" and snow depth is 0. Definitely an interesting hobby 

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

The Chicago futility talk looks like your trigger.  This seems like the 3rd or 4th time you have brought it up in the past few days lol

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The Chicago futility talk looks like your trigger.  This seems like the 3rd or 4th time you have brought it up in the past few days lol

I mean talking about it as early as you guys do is a bit tired especially in a first year la nina. It was pretty obvious none of the futility was happening.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I mean talking about it as early as you guys do is a bit tired especially in a first year la nina. It was pretty obvious none of the futility was happening.

There was nothing else to talk about for people around Chicago.  It was a very slow start to the snow season, like in the top 5 or 10 percentile of slow starts.  Nothing wrong with pointing out that least snow through X date stuff.  

I can't speak for others but I was not on board with the futility lasting all winter.  Now it has rebounded and may well rebound to a snowier than average season by the time it's over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There was nothing else to talk about for people around Chicago.  It was a very slow start to the snow season, like in the top 5 or 10 percentile of slow starts.  Nothing wrong with pointing out that least snow through X date stuff.  

I can't speak for others but I was not on board with the futility lasting all winter.  Now it has rebounded and may well rebound to a snowier than average season by the time it's over.

Does anyone really care about futility unless it is extreme? Not really.

Not really, just pointing out how the futility talk looks dumb when the winter was barely started. No one really cares, its like a poster coming along talking about sunshine all the time. 

it’s not dumb to be discussing futility in late december when that far below average and with that little on the season/for the month.

the least snowiest december was in play all of the way up until the end of the month.

and people do obviously care if they are discussing it. for folks around here it was the only thing to discuss at the time. i personally didn’t partake surprisingly though.

38 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Does anyone really care about futility unless it is extreme? Not really.

ORD was at 0.9" for the season on December 28.  Not the absolute worst start ever, but that's pretty damn bad.  Again, don't see any issue with posting about how that ranks historically.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

ORD was at 0.9" for the season on December 28.  Not the absolute worst start ever, but that's pretty damn bad.  Again, don't see any issue with posting about how that ranks historically.  

Yeah and they are above normal now as to be expected in a first year la nina. Same happened in 1998-1999, it was obviously coming.

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and they are above normal now as to be expected in a first year la nina. Same happened in 1998-1999, it was obviously coming.

Years like 1995-96 and 2005-06 obviously didn't get the memo about being a first year Nina.  Final snowfall at ORD was significantly below average with 23.9" and 26.0" respectively.

You can expect things to turn around, but you never know for sure until it happens.  

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about whether any sort of weather futility discussion is ever acceptable to talk about on weather board.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Years like 1995-96 and 2005-06 obviously didn't get the memo about being a first year Nina.  Final snowfall at ORD was significantly below average with 23.9" and 26.0" respectively.

You can expect things to turn around, but you never know for sure until it happens.  

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about whether any sort of weather futility discussion is ever acceptable to talk about on weather board.

Both were weak La Ninas this is not. Plus recent Decembers have been shit no matter the ENSO state. 

1. Hoosier does not bitch about futility, he offers statistically significant data that is lowkey very interesting.

2. Hoosier offered a seasonal snowfall prediction of like 30"+ only a few weeks ago iirc, which would necessitate one hell of a comeback- exactly what we're seeing now. If someone needs to get baked for futility talk, in no way is it Hoosier. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

1. Hoosier does not bitch about futility, he offers statistically significant data that is lowkey very interesting.

2. Hoosier offered a seasonal snowfall prediction of like 30"+ only a few weeks ago iirc, which would necessitate one hell of a comeback- exactly what we're seeing now. If someone needs to get baked for futility talk, in no way is it Hoosier. 

Thanks.. I actually guessed 25-30" though, factoring in some historical precedent based on where things stood at the time.  If I'm gonna be off, it's better to come in higher than lower.  :P

Just now, Hoosier said:

Thanks.. I actually guessed 25-30" though, factoring in some historical precedent based on where things stood at the time.  If I'm gonna be off, it's better to come in higher than lower.  

I figured I might be a bit high but honestly, even guessing 25" flat wouldn't be true futility ^_^