• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

GEFS look fine too. Is it best pattern of all time, no. Its serviceable though.

image.thumb.png.cb0c4d157b538be1a6974c6befa31bb4.png

One would think (I try not to) that with both ensembles showing the PV over Hudson Bay we’d get quite a few chances for clippers or waves of energy around the base of that trough giving us a more active pattern. I also think that’s the fly in the ointment as well however. As these short waves time up with southern stream LP’s they’re capturing these storms and we’re getting the typical cutter parade. Might be nice to see these not time so well

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

One would think (I try not to) that with both ensembles showing the PV over Hudson Bay we’d get quite a few chances for clippers or waves of energy around the base of that trough giving us a more active pattern. I also think that’s the fly in the ointment as well however. As these short waves time up with southern stream LP’s they’re capturing these storms and we’re getting the typical cutter parade. Might be nice to see these not time so well

The PV is not over Hudson Bay there. It's still pretty far north. Our only hope is for SSW to break it apart later in Dec. into Jan. I never realized how much we depend on pieces of the PV to break off for our area to get into good patterns.

Basically if you have a strong PV you get a below average snowfall winter here. As cold air is a necessity for LES.

image.thumb.png.30afc8526501752874eb56ddb4434221.png

• Like 2

It's also because the N stream trough is bringing cold air with it, the southern vort by itself is almost all rain..It's a late phaser..

When the European phased the system early it crushed NY state lol

Some areas in VT are forecast 12"-18"..

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_9 (4).png

The southern stream closed low will have been picked up by the
northern stream trough by Saturday morning. From here the now
shortwave will progress northeast across the northern half of the
eastern seaboard. Thus, its corresponding Nor`easter will continue
it`s northeastward track along the eastern seaboard and keep its
precipitation shield out of the forecast area. That said, enough
cyclonic flow and deepening cold air mass will produce lake clouds
and a few lake effect snow showers southeast of both Great Lakes
both days this the weekend.

Lake effect showers will continue through the start of the new work
week. Another closed low over western Ontario will drop south and
traverse south through the longwave trough across the western Great
Lakes and eventually the Ohio Valley Sunday night through Monday. In
its midst, synoptic moisture will increase across the region which
will feed the ongoing lake snows south and southeast of both lakes.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The PV is not over Hudson Bay there. It's still pretty far north. Our only hope is for SSW to break it apart later in Dec. into Jan. I never realized how much we depend on pieces of the PV to break off for our area to get into good patterns.

Basically if you have a strong PV you get a below average snowfall winter here. As cold air is a necessity for LES.

image.thumb.png.30afc8526501752874eb56ddb4434221.png

Don't need an SSW to have cross polar flow. Although having an SSW would help to provide sustained cold, it's not always needed for our area. If we can get into a more typical Nina pattern, i.e. poleward Aleutian ridge, it would create enough cross polar flow to allow for some decent cold outbreaks. In that scenario, the coldest anomalies would be west of us, but it would set the stage for an active storm track through the area and ultimately lake effect snow outbreaks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Don't need an SSW to have cross polar flow. Although having an SSW would help to provide sustained cold, it's not always needed for our area. If we can get into a more typical Nina pattern, i.e. poleward Aleutian ridge, it would create enough cross polar flow to allow for some decent cold outbreaks. In that scenario, the coldest anomalies would be west of us, but it would set the stage for an active storm track through the area and ultimately lake effect snow outbreaks. 

Hoping for a Dec 15th-Jan 15th like 1998-99 Nina event.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tim123 said:

Think this is uoslope lake affect from a n wind on periphery of storm

This appears to be the case.  I guess there is just enough moisture and adequate 850's for some action.  I didn't think so at first but the 3k NAM soundings support it.  As you mention, It's going to take the little orographic kick to get anything significant.

• Like 2

This is a bone dry airmass above 800mb, with a weak capping inversion.  That means only have about 5000 feet of atmosphere to work with. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.9231fdfbefcf7c6b48c313d7d6613f87.JPG

But below that we have a saturated layer with pretty steep lapse rates, although surface temps on the lake plain look a little dodgey during the day.  If we can just get some snow showers that would be nice for me at least, planning to cut down the tree this weekend.

Capture1.JPG.78ebd5829f185716653d52f3ff3a89cd.JPG

• Like 1