• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

Just got back from trying to get to work. Furious with my employer that put me in that spot. I spun out on McKnight and luckily didn’t hit anything. 

There needs to be accountability. I work in an essential profession but is also one that could deal with being closed for the day...there was no reason to be open or not to push back opening a few hours.
I just call off or start late, I don't care how much it pisses off any bosses. No job is worth risking your life for. Mine sure isn't. If I got killed in a car wreck, they'd replace me like it's nothing. I work in an "essential" industry too but I'm just a body to them. I've killed myself for my company for 21 years and they treat me like crap basically so screw them! Lol
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:
4 hours ago, KPITSnow said:
Just got back from trying to get to work. Furious with my employer that put me in that spot. I spun out on McKnight and luckily didn’t hit anything. 

There needs to be accountability. I work in an essential profession but is also one that could deal with being closed for the day...there was no reason to be open or not to push back opening a few hours.

I just call off or start late, I don't care how much it pisses off any bosses. No job is worth risking your life for. Mine sure isn't. If I got killed in a car wreck, they'd replace me like it's nothing. I work in an "essential" industry too but I'm just a body to them. I've killed myself for my company for 21 years and they treat me like crap basically so screw them! Lol

I went in late after that. Isn’t worth my life or my car for that matter.

I just wish businesses were held accountable. The night of the mid December big storm I walked up to northway mall and places like Marshall’s and dsw were still open. Shows a massive lack of respect for employees to not send them home.

37 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

big time differences between the Euro and GFS on this next week. Euro shows this monster of a storm and the GFS brings some strung out energy through with a front and drops a couple inches. This evolution will be fascinating. 

I will ride with the euro any day of the week over the gfs!  Only about 400 models runs left to go. What could possibly go wrong? 

• Like 3

I think the bulk of the accumulating snow is done for us.  Current snow depth is under 3" so overall, I'd consider this kind of a disappointment, but not a total surprise.  My estimate from last week ended up generally correct despite some models wanting higher totals in this part of the state.  Without the dry air in the primary, perhaps we hit those totals.  The wound-up coastals rarely get big enough or positioned inland to hit us.

At least we have some potential over the next couple weeks.  Hopefully that Miller A depiction can come to fruition at some point.  The big X factor for us may be ridge position out west.

1 minute ago, jwilson said:

I think the bulk of the accumulating snow is done for us.  Current snow depth is under 3" so overall, I'd consider this kind of a disappointment, but not a total surprise.  My estimate from last week ended up generally correct despite some models wanting higher totals in this part of the state.  Without the dry air in the primary, perhaps we hit those totals.  The wound-up coastals rarely get big enough or positioned inland to hit us.

At least we have some potential over the next couple weeks.  Hopefully that Miller A depiction can come to fruition at some point.  The big X factor for us may be ridge position out west.

What would we need for the ridge position out west to help us snow wise?

4 hours ago, southpark said:

What would we need for the ridge position out west to help us snow wise?

Generally something more west-coast oriented.  This last time we had the ridge pumping east of Idaho.  That left the coastal too far east for the best bits to hit here.  Trough couldn't flip negative quicker, etc.

We're coming into a neutral (or perhaps even positive) PNA and -EPO regime.  Combined that should help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a much more consolidated batch entering eastern Allegheny county. Not sure everything behind it holds together, but looks like the best shot at some more steady snow. 

Also, nice vertical lake enhanced band in central Ohio. Never seen WWA in vertically stacked counties like that - lol. Not the greatest storm for us, but still doing some interesting things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burghblizz said:

There is a much more consolidated batch entering eastern Allegheny county. Not sure everything behind it holds together, but looks like the best shot at some more steady snow. 

Also, nice vertical lake enhanced band in central Ohio. Never seen WWA in vertically stacked counties like that - lol. Not the greatest storm for us, but still doing some interesting things. 

That band is interesting for sure, looks like it has a dual lake connection, originating off ontario the going over erie. I wonder how often central ohio gets LES from lake ontario lol These systems that stall out do some weird things, normally I'd think a storm isn't able to generate a flow like that because it's moving to fast to establish a persistent wind trajectory like that.