Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

8 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It looks like the radar is drying up.  Was it modeled that way and where would these bands be coming from?

The heavier returns in Ohio are eventually going to rotate through southern pa. Not sure if we are going to get a lull before that happens or if the current band moving through will back fill a bit. Around a half inch here so far 

Just now, KPITSnow said:

But isn't that supposed to deteriorate a bit as the primary transfers to the coastal?

Hopefully we get some good banding this afternoon but this is a very touch and go situation as far as decent totals.

Yea it will but the question is how quick it transfers. I'm at the point that I don't really care about the totals we get. I'm at work so as much it would suck I wouldn't care if this busted low. I usually don't say that about our storms. 

In any case, we will see what happens. I just think a lot of folks are seeing these ten inch totals but then discounting the impact that it is spread over such a long period. Hours of .25 inches per hour rates are going to have a hard time adding up when it is 30 degrees.

19 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

In any case, we will see what happens. I just think a lot of folks are seeing these ten inch totals but then discounting the impact that it is spread over such a long period. Hours of .25 inches per hour rates are going to have a hard time adding up when it is 30 degrees.

Again, we had a 8-10" storm 3 years ago that had light rates over duration. This fell in mid March. 

Again, we had a 8-10" storm 3 years ago that had light rates over duration. This fell in mid March. 

Agree. I think we will get to 6+, but we need to be patient while we wait for the radar to fill in. Still fighting off the dry air. Best snow comes last this afternoon and into tonight.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Agree. I think we will get to 6+, but we need to be patient while we wait for the radar to fill in. Still fighting off the dry air. Best snow comes last this afternoon and into tonight.

Was actually one of my favorite storms. I was amazed myself that how much it accumulated with the sun angle and the 10" was the most I measured since 2010 lol. Definitely more concerned about the dry air rather than low rates accumulating. 

12 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I’m just happy snow is gonna be flying most of the day. It will stick especially as we move towards late afternoon and evening.

That’s my feeling too; should have snow in the air during daylight hours for the next 2 days. Having that blockbuster December has made it easy to just sit back and enjoy whatever else we get without fretting if we miss a storm it might be the last chance of the season.

At the end of this maybe you can’t go stick a ruler in your yard and measure 6 because it came over a longer period but so long as we stay below freezing at the surface the frozen ground and still low sun angle should aid our efforts. If we miss it would be more likely due to lack of qpf from a quicker transfer or further south track.

The NAM did show a bit of a lull / light precip late morning / early afternoon before it picked back up this evening.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Hey I want to be clear...everything after December is gravy. I’m not complaining, just pointing out concerns in the evolution of the system.

All good man. Feels like we’re always walking a fine line so I get your concerns. Snow picking back up now, I think we’re in for a good afternoon and evening. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Hey I want to be clear...everything after December is gravy. I’m not complaining, just pointing out concerns in the evolution of the system.

All good! I know you weren’t really tracking this one the whole time, but this is the way it’s been really the last few days. It’s always been kind of a long duration, moderate event, with this outside shot of scoring big. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burghblizz said:

I like this look from the HRRR for this evening 

image.thumb.png.9862a84f82040bbe85eca169ba0bed8c.png

Yep ill take that. I love moderate/heavy snow. That's why in my opinion ill take a 1994 storm over 2010 any day. Of course I'd love to see a 1993 storm since I was 2 when that hit but that's a once in a lifetime storm. 

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Yep ill take that. I love moderate/heavy snow. That's why in my opinion ill take a 1994 storm over 2010 any day. Of course I'd love to see a 1993 storm since I was 2 when that hit but that's a once in a lifetime storm. 

2010 didn’t quite have the extreme ‘93 and 94 rates (3-4” hour), but it have some have prolonged really good rates. I remember getting like 8” in 5 hours from 7 to midnight. And then there was another period from like 3 to 6 AM where we tacked on another 5”