Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

Just now, Mailman said:

It won't happen.  Been here almost 40 years.  Never had ice like that.  

Yeah I figure it won't happen but still something to see depicted on a model. These trends continue though with the 0z tonight and 12z suite tomorrow would think they are going to have to up snow totals for the area.

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

CMC not as impressed as the NAM and Euro. It absolutely obliterates Philly. 

TTAjfli.png

Slowly moving in the right direction though. I think earlier today it wasn’t showing much at all. It seems as if guidance is honing in on 4 inches or so as the low end. 

3 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Slowly moving in the right direction though. I think earlier today it wasn’t showing much at all. It seems as if guidance is honing in on 4 inches or so as the low end. 

Trends have been great. If euro holds serve ill be more convinced that we may get warning criteria. 

10 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Also, if I read the WWA correctly it said it runs from 10pm tonight to 10pm tomorrow night.  Are the models shutting the precipitation down before Monday now?  Weren't they showing snow through most of Monday?

It's a bit unusual. I think they're trying to hedge their bets so to speak, knowing they can upgrade later if needed.

The consistency that is starting to come in with the models is a very good sign. Led by the Euro (of course) we have been moving in the right direct since Thursday. 

A few things that concern me at this point. 

There is some dry air aloft seems to be eating away at some of the precip shield. Right now, there is only happening in NE Ohio and NW PA. I worry that there is not much room and if the dry air sinks a little bit further south, we could lose some precip for a while. 

12Z-20210130_NAMMA_prec_ptype-24-30-10-100.gif.001bbe46eea81e70d625e96cd98401a5.gif

The other thing is the DWTD coming in from the south. Its a hairpin away. The sounding of the 12z NAM show just how close it is in the mid levels. I could easily see us sleeting for a while tomorrow afternoon. 

2131584869_ScreenShot2021-01-30at9_54_03AM.png.5ef915959f0411ba38d04951edac2adf.png

Things look good for right now and Im feeling much better about a 6+ snow, but we need to stay where we are. Not a whole lot of room for error in the next few runs. 

• Like 1

Agree - we are in a good spot between those two mitigators (agitators). But they lurk. I like that our swath has widened. 

I tend to think that even though that intial heavier burst is just to the south,  mixing is much more of an issue. So I’d still bet North Hills does better than South Hills, even though total QPF is lighter 

• Like 1

The GFS thermals are still terrible, but even with those rain issues, it manages to give us over 6" (including sleet).  Even the NAM thermals are quite close to changeover from 1000-850.  However, that's pretty much an ideal position for us, because straddling that line is where you get the best snowfall rates, and we're going to get most of our snowfall from the primary WAA.  We need to it push close to maximize our returns.

The coastal is the big wildcard and how close it tucks in to the coast.  I am seeing a negative titled trough, but for us it is way too late.  The CMC goes negative and crushes Philly, but it occludes tightly and cuts off all precip on the western side.  Reminds me of the 2010 Miller B's that pasted the area.  The GFS waits even longer to go negative.

The NAM goes neutral at 84 hours, which again is too late.  I assume it continues that progression into a negative tilt after.  Might make things interesting for New England.  Like most Miller B's, I don't think the coastal will give us much, but we could get lucky again like in December.

That vort over NE at 500H remains too close for my liking.  The NAM's precip shield looks a lot better than it did before, though.  Where that vort appears to influence is in the CMC/RGEM's depiction of the event.  Both models only give us 3-5" and that's a possibility to consider.

I'll continue to worry about dryslotting until the event is over.  We're going to be nowcasting that handoff.  I'll feel better about our totals once we see how the initial slug of moisture holds up as it rolls over our area.

3 minutes ago, north pgh said:

For what’s its worth the HRRR is great :snowwindow:

image.thumb.png.38e6c73186047bc6dc78f0082d86091f.png

Wow that looks really good. I’m more concerned with a dryslot vs the temperatures for my backyard. The gfs has been consistently too warm and has been slowly trending back towards other guidance for the last several runs.