Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

9 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

So the NAM looks great but it has zero backing so I'm not buying it. 

Isn't the Euro in it's camp?

Ron Smiley on KDKA is clearly backing the GFS he said snow will change to all rain Sunday with a high of 38.  Only 1-3" for us.  GFS seems to have no support, so I wonder why he's going with that one?

Latest NAM runs are flirting with the GFS idea of going north and pulling in warm air to the PIT metro.  Part of the problem is any potential dry-slotting would allow for temp increases across various levels.  The GFS is especially egregious with this pulling surface temps above freezing up to Erie, more or less, up to 850H.  The NAM and RGEM are very close.

The other problem I'm seeing is at 500H, most notably.  There's a vort over Canada right now that gets pulled south under the block and gets stuck in the Atlantic.  There's energy trailing that vort that, while somewhat suppressing the incoming storm, also draws away some energy in the atmosphere.  Then it becomes a spacing game and there's not enough room for both.

I believe that leads to shearing along the NE side of the precip shield, which could impact our initial rates with WAA as the low approaches.  The Atlantic low(s) combined with the midwest low and the high above create a quasi "Omega" block.  Normally we want that Atlantic low at about 50/50 lat/long.  Instead, it's sitting almost due East of the Midwest low.

That's probably still a workable look, in theory (love a met to confirm), but I don't believe that's a typical "big dog" signal.  Of course, the trough never really goes negative.  If the trough stays positive the entire duration, we'll likely lose a lot of our potential coastal snows because there's no chance of capture and retrograde.

Forgot to add: that interference from the easterly vort will also slow down the primary as it moves into Ohio and, I believe, force it to transfer south quicker (or at least in a less than ideal position for PIT).  We need that low to get close to get better rates while still hanging south and wait to transfer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Latest NAM runs are flirting with the GFS idea of going north and pulling in warm air to the PIT metro.  Part of the problem is any potential dry-slotting would allow for temp increases across various levels.  The GFS is especially egregious with this pulling surface temps above freezing up to Erie, more or less, up to 850H.  The NAM and RGEM are very close.

The other problem I'm seeing is at 500H, most notably.  There's a vort over Canada right now that gets pulled south under the block and gets stuck in the Atlantic.  There's energy trailing that vort that, while somewhat suppressing the incoming storm, also draws away some energy in the atmosphere.  Then it becomes a spacing game and there's not enough room for both.

I believe that leads to shearing along the NE side of the precip shield, which could impact our initial rates with WAA as the low approaches.  The Atlantic low(s) combined with the midwest low and the high above create a quasi "Omega" block.  Normally we want that Atlantic low at about 50/50 lat/long.  Instead, it's sitting almost due East of the Midwest low.

That's probably still a workable look, in theory (love a met to confirm), but I don't believe that's a typical "big dog" signal.  Of course, the trough never really goes negative.  If the trough stays positive the entire duration, we'll likely lose a lot of our potential coastal snows because there's no chance of capture and retrograde.

Forgot to add: that interference from the easterly vort will also slow down the primary as it moves into Ohio and, I believe, force it to transfer south quicker (or at least in a less than ideal position for PIT).  We need that low to get close to get better rates while still hanging south and wait to transfer.

All good points. I think we should also consider our climotolgy, the warm tongue is real and is usually stronger than modeled so maybe the GFS isn't that off its rocker.

Those maps with the big totals were fun to look at and illustrated what "could" happen if like 20 variables all flipped in our favor.

3 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

HKEt4Og.png

Euro looking close to that same 8-9” type output in the city or just south - but instead of the snow hole over Morgantown, it has a 12” bullseye. And the totals trail off from the city north. 

This really shows some of the complexity with track, temps, and the dry slot (which could hurt those borderline temps, in addition to less precip. So double whammy where that happens). 

I think Euro overall is a slightly better look for us since the dry slot seems to be in central WV. So more wiggle room as long as that shear to the NE doesn’t get us

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Euro looking close to that same 8-9” type output in the city or just south - but instead of the snow hole over Morgantown, it has a 12” bullseye. And the totals trail off from the city north. 

This really shows some of the complexity with track, temps, and the dry slot (which could hurt those borderline temps, in addition to less precip. So double whammy where that happens). 

Seems like the bleeding stopped on the Euro finally. This is such a complicated set up that I wouldn't be confident if I was forecasting. Id be happy with a 5-8 storm. At this point if it's not gonna be our next big daddy ill take every inch we can. 

It's a little unnerving to see such variation between the models. I know they're never in complete agreement, but it seems like with this storm in particular all of them take a different stab at the totals and all get very different results. Typically, I yield to the Euro no matter what. I wonder if it will come out on top this time around. 

• Like 1