• Member Statistics

    16,606
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    InsulationProsofColorado
    Newest Member
    InsulationProsofColorado
    Joined
wxeyeNH

NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Mind blowing how good the skiing is.  From zero to hero in like 5 days.

The general public that thought that last weekend was the best skiing of the season are going to be in for a surprise when they show up Saturday haha. Its only going to keep stacking up! Now to decide where along the spine to wander into the woods this weekend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like snow almost everyday between now and the middle of next week on some models with some decent cold...and a substantial pack starting to build...It has turned into the deep winter I think @PhineasC and I envisioned when we decided decided to leave the mid Atlantic dumpster fire and come north this winter.  Really looking forward to getting out there and skiing it this weekend and next week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.10” L.E.

 

I’ve considered the previous event completed as of the overnight snow, and after a (very) brief lull, we’re on to the next one, which the BTV NWS AFD is describing as an upper-level trough and shortwave energy, and there’s an associated arctic cold front that they’re highlighting as well due to its propensity for quick accumulations with heavy snow.

 

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.0

Snow Density: 4.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.0 F

Sky: Snow (5 to 20 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mind blowing how good the skiing is.  From zero to hero in like 5 days.  Boot deep fluff from last night and today on top of the big storm snow.  Still ripping fluff from the sky.

LOL, Mother Nature and her snowy ways definitely changed my day up a bit today.  I stopped off at Timberline for a couple of runs on my way to work for a meeting, and it was just dumping 1-2”/hr snowfall with conditions that were off the hook.  It was the kind of snowfall where if you don’t move around much during the lift ride, you find a half inch of accumulation pouring off you when you disembark from the lift.  It’s midweek of course, so the mountain is virtually deserted, with refills on every run.  It was so good that I had to stick around for another run, and then just headed back down to the house for the meeting instead (it was a Zoom meeting anyway).  You know it dumped even in the valley, because I found a fresh 2.2" on the boards at home.  The boys are home and done with their schooling for the afternoon, so I figured I had to see if they wanted to get out for some turns.

ZeroToHero.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, alex said:

I guess they were right. Heavy heavy snow at the moment 

Yeah, the BTV NWS has a Special Weather Statement out for heavy snow over here as well, and you can see it on the advisories map.  As you’ve said, the stuff that hits here often heads over to your neck of the woods next.  Over here we can see that next pulse of moisture coming into the area on the radar.

20JAN21A.jpg

Special Weather Statement

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1242 PM EST Wed Jan 20 2021

 

NYZ035-VTZ005-008-009-017-018-201830-

Eastern Essex-Eastern Chittenden-Western

Chittenden-Washington-Western Addison-Eastern Addison-

1242 PM EST Wed Jan 20 2021

 

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT NORTHEASTERN ESSEX...

NORTHWESTERN ADDISON...SOUTHERN CHITTENDEN AND NORTHWESTERN

WASHINGTON COUNTIES...

 

At 1241 PM EST...an area of heavy snow was over Shelburne...moving

southeast at 20 mph.

 

Locations impacted include...

Vergennes, South Burlington, Burlington, Essex, Willsboro,

Ferrisburg, Charlotte, Waltham, Bristol, Monkton Ridge, Monkton,

Monkton Boro, Williston, New Haven, Bolton, Richmond, Mt. Philo State

Park, Hinesburg, St. George and Huntington.

 

This includes Interstate 89 between mile markers 69 and 79, and

between mile markers 83 and 87.

 

  * visibilities will drop quickly to less than a mile in this area

  of heavy snow.

 

  * sudden and brief snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are

  possible in this area of heavy snow.

20JAN21A.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Mind blowing how good the skiing is.  From zero to hero in like 5 days.  Boot deep fluff from last night and today on top of the big storm snow.  Still ripping fluff from the sky.

Incredible to have the privilege of enjoying these conditions during the middle of the week!! I have skied the Sherbie countless times before, but when I was a "weekend warrior" I almost never got to experience a true powder day given the popularity of that trail. I reached the top of the skin track around 8am this morning, and I think there were only three people that had gone down at that point...so there was plenty of untracked powder which simply would not have been there at the same time on a Saturday or Sunday. I'm loving the option to snag a quick lap on what previously required a 3+ hour commute from Massachusetts!

Darkening skies here in Jackson now. I think the squall that just unloaded on Alex may have made the push over the Notch. About to find out...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

There was a time when I thought you were not a nice person, to be honest. You really have shown your human side since coming up here.

Well, we do have shirts if Phin needs one…

21JUL19A.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Well, we do have shirts if Phin needs one…

 

21JUL19A.gif

May need to be careful and reword that to NNE mtns. Otherwise, Dendrite, Lavarock, Dryslot, and Tamarack are going to slam a loaf of scala bread and a stick of butter down your throat. :lol:     Pretty envious of you guys, but that's climo too. Hopefully the synoptics kick in a bit more.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of this morning, Randolph had recorded 8.1" of snow since the synoptic storm passed. I think that's really healthy for here over 3 days with basically nothing of note on radar at any point. Probably another 1-2" today as well.

Just need this kind of daily snowfall and cold temps and deep winter takes care of itself here. About 75" for the cold season so far here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

May need to be careful and reword that to NNE mtns. Otherwise, Dendrite, Lavarock, Dryslot, and Tamarack are going to slam a loaf of scala bread and a stick of butter down your throat. :lol:     Pretty envious of you guys, but that's climo too. Hopefully the synoptics kick in a bit more.

I envision a James Bond-style high speed chase through some glades at Stowe and Bolton Valley with the snowmobile crew from Maine trying to run down these VT weenies who keep telling them to chill out.

565.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&kp=1

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

May need to be careful and reword that to NNE mtns. Otherwise, Dendrite, Lavarock, Dryslot, and Tamarack are going to slam a loaf of scala bread and a stick of butter down your throat. :lol:     Pretty envious of you guys, but that's climo too. Hopefully the synoptics kick in a bit more.

No flakes here since Monday AM.  Being at 390' some 30-40 miles SE from 3-4k peaks kinda limits (eliminates) upslope.  We live on synoptics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I envision a James Bond-style high speed chase through some glades at Stowe and Bolton Valley with the snowmobile crew from Maine trying to run down these VT weenies who keep telling them to chill out.

565.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&kp=1

LOL, exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I envision a James Bond-style high speed chase through some glades at Stowe and Bolton Valley with the snowmobile crew from Maine trying to run down these VT weenies who keep telling them to chill out.

Snowmobile trails looking pretty damn good these days.  I've seen huge groups moving through the VAST network that goes through the fields in town.  Saw a bunch of them in Morrisville at the gas station too.

Snowmobile.jpg.195f6a6908b1c74cc9a78544ae6fc772.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snowmobile trails looking pretty damn good these days.  I've seen huge groups moving through the VAST network that goes through the fields in town.  Saw a bunch of them in Morrisville at the gas station too.

Snowmobile.jpg.195f6a6908b1c74cc9a78544ae6fc772.jpg

Pretty thin outside of the mountains - even the far north is way below average though far better than around here.  Not sure the club trail thru our woodlot is open yet, only a handful of sled passes down our road to access it, and at the corner of our gravel road and (paved) Industry Road is a place that works on snowmobiles.  Our 9" "pack" isn't as tall as some of the rocks on that trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

3.0" new in the past 24 hours. I've now had 13" of upslope since Saturday afternoon, depth is 22". 74.1" for the the season. Not bad at all considering where we were a week ago.

What was the storm total from the low itself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I had 11.0" on the front end Saturday AM. 

Impressive. Mtns making up for lost ground, but the areas away from the mtns need help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

3.0" new in the past 24 hours. I've now had 13" of upslope since Saturday afternoon, depth is 22". 74.1" for the the season. Not bad at all considering where we were a week ago.

Nice.  11.8" since that time here--which is pretty solid for my location.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a turn around in the past 5-6 days.  It nuked all day on the hill.  Just fat fluffy flakes.

Snow globe got shaken real good.  8" new snow from this round and it's still snowing steadily.

140759853_10104430668461750_683053753857

139508870_10104430668711250_734297516456

139497804_10104430668516640_140749197564

139009541_10104430668551570_313548469833

139718558_10104430668581510_699211135941

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a turn around in the past 5-6 days.  It nuked all day on the hill.  Just fat fluffy flakes.

Snow globe got shaken real good.  8" new snow from this round and it's still snowing steadily.

140759853_10104430668461750_683053753857

139508870_10104430668711250_734297516456

139497804_10104430668516640_140749197564

139009541_10104430668551570_313548469833

139718558_10104430668581510_699211135941

Since last night? How much since Saturday at the summit..well your snow stake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Since last night? How much since Saturday at the summit..well your snow stake?

28” since the beginning of the synoptic storm I believe.  Yeah it was 17” from the storm, then 3” from a little wave and now 8” from this round.  I really think getting that first 8-10” of total paste job snow was the key.  That just smeared high QPF snow on everything and then ratios have been increasing since then... but even the upslope part of the synoptic storm was pretty mild with lower ratios than normal.  The cold didn’t come in very fast.  Today’s stuff though was that 30-40:1 blower.  Probably got a 1/4” water for 8” would be my guess.

Soundings from a couple days ago keyed into it nicely, with a very deep DGZ layer, so any lifting was going to squeeze out fluff.  Looks pretty similar tomorrow afternoon/night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

28” since the beginning of the synoptic storm I believe.  Yeah it was 17” from the storm, then 3” from a little wave and now 8” from this round.  I really think getting that first 8-10” of total paste job snow was the key.  That just smeared high QPF snow on everything and then ratios have been increasing since then... but even the upslope part of the synoptic storm was pretty mild with lower ratios than normal.  The cold didn’t come in very fast.  Today’s stuff though was that 30-40:1 blower.  Probably got a 1/4” water for 8” would be my guess.

Soundings from a couple days ago keyed into it nicely, with a very deep DGZ layer, so any lifting was going to squeeze out fluff.  Looks pretty similar tomorrow afternoon/night.

AWT lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.