Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

On 11/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, powderfreak said:

A friend and fellow poster here @j24vt caught some shots of a snowy owl near the MVL airport yesterday.

Today he just send me a cell shot of it back there sitting on the ASOS.  He’s going back with the big lens, maybe he’ll share more later.

Pretty cool to have a snowy owl chilling on the ASOS.  What’s more NNE than that? Ha.

D2984DF2-386C-42CA-9719-65A70ADA5E4E.thumb.jpeg.182148c2f9b39ac69c379399aea8ee21.jpeg

Many many more pictures here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12hcate282jre7u/AABfCQapffb10iOM-smvYXDUa?dl=0 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Don't want to rush the week, but cant get Fri past us soon enough. I hope models are right on active snowy pattern after the weekend. 2020 going out with a piss poor bang.

I certainly hope so. There are signs that late December and early January could be rocking, at least up here. 

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/Trace L.E.

There must have been a period of very large flakes before observations time, because the accumulation on the boards had that look, and the water content spoke to how dry it was.  The snow falling at observations time was made of smaller flakes and was very light, but at times there have been some upticks in the snowfall rate since then.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 to 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Well, the BTV NWS is certainly watching this event and keeping the skiers informed.  The AFD format doesn’t incorporate graphics of course, but if it did, we know what image they’d put in with the text.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

631 AM EST Tue Dec 22 2020

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

As of 624 AM EST Tuesday... Water vapor shows mid/upper lvl trof deepening acrs the ne conus as several embedded vorts rotate acrs the fa. First piece of energy moves acrs northern NY/VT between 09-15z this morning, with the first round of light precip, with next short energy crossing the area btwn 21z-03z this evening. Initially flow is highly block with froude <0.50 thru 18z this aftn, but quickly becomes unblocked by 20z, as mixing develops under moderately strong llvl caa. Parameters look very favorable for a period of accumulating upslope snow showers today into tonight, especially northern dacks and from Mt Mansfield to Jay Peak. Have noticed good 925mb to 700mb moisture profiles, favorable 925mb to 850mb winds of 25 to 40 knots, moderately strong llvl caa, and good rh in snow growth region. Based on this info, have bumped snowfall amounts up slightly in the highest peaks acrs the dacks and northern Greens, with localized 4 to 6 inches possible by Weds morning, making for some sneaky good turns for skier and riders on Weds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

It is puking snow up here now.  Probably about 4” down so far. If it keeps up like this until midnight, should bust high and be great turns tnrw morning.

Nice! 

Solid snow here this afternoon. Was at Bretton Woods all day and I think there is a little more accumulated here at Randolph. 

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

When I headed off to Burlington this morning we had some steady snowfall with fairly large flakes, and the snowfall intensity only seemed to diminish slightly as I dropped down to Bolton Flats.  By the time I got to Burlington, the snowfall had mostly dissipated, but I think that was the trend throughout the area; checking our webcam didn’t reveal any substantial accumulations beyond what had already come down.

Returning home this afternoon though, the snow really ramped up as I approached the house, and we’ve had some rather heavy bouts of snowfall with flakes up to about an inch in diameter.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Snow (4 to 25 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches