• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Was pushing the camera lens again this morning.... but above the inversion the visibility was insane.  Could see from Maine to Quebec and New Hampshire from Mt Mansfield.

I had never in 15 years noticed the trails on Cannon Mountain being visible from Stowe but could make out the top trails with the naked eye.  The photo is a bit "noisy" but you can see the trails on Cannon with Lafayette behind it.

131090425_10104400098189820_130926328677

• Like 13

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Was pushing the camera lens again this morning.... but above the inversion the visibility was insane.  Could see from Maine to Quebec and New Hampshire from Mt Mansfield.

I had never in 15 years noticed the trails on Cannon Mountain being visible from Stowe but could make out the top trails with the naked eye.  The photo is a bit "noisy" but you can see the trails on Cannon with Lafayette behind it.

131090425_10104400098189820_130926328677

That is very cool.  As someone that has always had the crazy fetish for "how far can you see"  I really liked this post.  On the clearest of days when I fly my drone over my house I can see Mt Washington to the north,  Killington to the west and Mt Monadock to the south.  When I took one of my edutrips to the summit of Mt Washington and spent the night it was also interesting to see the reflection of the lights of Boston to the south and Montreal to the northwest

• Like 1

@powderfreak that is a crazy good photo. I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me up on the far right side of franconia ridge on Sunday! Not only do you see the top of Cannon but that's mittersill in the foreground. I assume the wide slope in the very front, down low is the training slope over at mittersill. You can even spy the observation platform/communication tower on top of Cannon.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

@powderfreak that is a crazy good photo. I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me up on the far right side of franconia ridge on Sunday! Not only do you see the top of Cannon but that's mittersill in the foreground. I assume the wide slope in the very front, down low is the training slope over at mittersill. You can even spy the observation platform/communication tower on top of Cannon.

Thanks for that man!  I didn't know that's where Mittersill was... or at least never thought about it, figured it was all Cannon.  Good info.

I love trying to push the boundaries of a camera and seeing how far you can see.  The winter arctic air views from the summits in lower angle light can go forever.  Can see 80-100 miles away easy.

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.22” L.E.

I don’t know exactly what time the snow began here at our location, but the last time I’d looked outside before heading off to bed was around midnight, so it was some point after that.  The snow during this morning’s observations was falling quite steadily, and both the snow falling and the snow stacks on the boards had that synoptic look.  Measuring the accumulation was very easy due to the extremely flat and even stack made of relatively small crystals.  There was a lot of moisture in just the couple inches of accumulation, and indeed there’s a really good shot of liquid equivalent in there with snow density of 11-12% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.6% H2O

Temperature: 15.8 F

Sky: Snow (1 to 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

It appears that the mid-level banding set up farther north than where even the northernmost model (RGEM/Canadian GEM) had it. These things are so tough to pin down. Yesterday I was thinking the jackpot would be along an axis from AQW-EEN-CON-SFM but radar trends would suggest it'll be more like a VSF-LCI-GYX axis. We'll see how things pivot over the course of the morning. Southern Lakes region of NH is getting crushed.

6 minutes ago, jculligan said:

0.5" last hour. 3.0" total so far. Holding at 12 degrees. I'm jealous of the epicness of what's happening south of here, and I'm living vicariously through those of you in the Lakes region!! Still a very nice wintry morning up here.

Because my expectations were so low, I'm pretty happy with 4"-5" we've received here.  If it had been modeled to crush us and then we only got 4" or 5", the story would be different.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

++SN   14F  Spectacular storm for heavy snow.  Vis 200 feet for past hour.   17.5"  3.5" new last hour  Nice to get in the def band.  Snowing i

Very nice! You needed this. Your area had gotten shafted big time so far.

Snowing nicely in Randolph, I think I can pull 5+ out of this thing. Nice topper on the glacial pack.