Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

12 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nah, never want to see a blizzard in September.  It's why we live here,

Wx geeks love the historic nature.  The Wyoming DOT has an incredible web interface with radar, road temps, conditions, web cams. Excellent stuff for travelers, why can't we have nice stuff here. Not like we pay exorbitant taxes or anything.... cool site though 

https://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/webcameras/NonInterstateCameras.html

US26287BlackrockRSWest.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wx geeks love the historic nature.  The Wyoming DOT has an incredible web interface with radar, road temps, conditions, web cams. Excellent stuff for travelers, why can't we have nice stuff here. Not like we pay exorbitant taxes or anything.... cool site though 

It's easier to have nicer things when you have a small population to take care of.  Cheyenne has a population not much larger then Taunton, LOL.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

US26287BlackrockRSWest.jpg

Yeah sign us up for anomalous weather, we’d take that all day long.  It’s not like deep winter is setting in in September... they’ll be wearing shorts again in like 3 days.

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's easier to have nicer things when you have a small population to take care of.  Cheyenne has a population not much larger then Taunton, LOL.

Not sure I’d agree... Wyoming doesn’t strike me as a place that taxes the crap out of their residents... I’m not sure they go for that out there.  And you need to tax a small population a lot to have nice things.  Bigger tax base, the more you have.

Anyway, mild morning at a low of 55F.

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We want

The state collects no personal or corporate income tax, and it has one of the nation's lowest sales tax rates 

Few musings...

After furiously watering the lawn all summer I gave up a couple of days ago.  I can water an area for an hour and then I dig down 1/2" and it's rock hard.  The ground is so dry below the surface that watering doesn't do much good especially with a large lawn with a well.  Not going to push it anymore.

Interesting to see the Colorado snow maps.  After days of 90's  I wonder how much can accumulate on grass?  The soil must have so much residual heat.  If Denver can get 7" that really cancels out the "ground is still too warm for the snow to stick theory".   I never gave much credence to that anyhow.

Okay,  back to endless boring,nice weather.  Next interesting thing to watch is if "Sally"  can sneak under the ridge next week and threaten the US.  Love to get some tropical rain up here.

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We want

The state collects no personal or corporate income tax, and it has one of the nation's lowest sales tax rates 

it also takes in far more in federal dollars per capita than places like CT (which is dead last), MA, NY, and NJ. Pretty easy to have low/no taxes in some states when a big chunk of your budget is paid for by federal dollars. While good and efficient governance is important, it is also important to consider the full accounting as every state has to pay for stuff. In CT, on a per capita basis, we pay $4k more per year in federal taxes than we get back. The average person in CT pays about $3-4k per year in state income taxes, so imagine if we were able to keep some of our tax dollars home instead of sending them off to DC to be redistributed to places like Wyoming?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Few musings...

After furiously watering the lawn all summer I gave up a couple of days ago.  I can water an area for an hour and then I dig down 1/2" and it's rock hard.  The ground is so dry below the surface that watering doesn't do much good especially with a large lawn with a well.  Not going to push it anymore.

Interesting to see the Colorado snow maps.  After days of 90's  I wonder how much can accumulate on grass?  The soil must have so much residual heat.  If Denver can get 7" that really cancels out the "ground is still too warm for the snow to stick theory".   I never gave much credence to that anyhow.

Okay,  back to endless boring,nice weather.  Next interesting thing to watch is if "Sally"  can sneak under the ridge next week and threaten the US.  Love to get some tropical rain up here.

Its accumulating readily in Wyoming on grass and roads in areas that were in the 80s and low 90s yesterday. Already 28 degrees in spots.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

it also takes in far more in federal dollars per capita than places like CT (which is dead last), MA, NY, and NJ. Pretty easy to have low/no taxes in some states when a big chunk of your budget is paid for by federal dollars. While good and efficient governance is important, it is also important to consider the full accounting as every state has to pay for stuff. In CT, on a per capita basis, we pay $4k more per year in federal taxes than we get back. The average person in CT pays about $3-4k per year in state income taxes, so imagine if we were able to keep some of our tax dollars home instead of sending them off to DC to be redistributed to places like Wyoming?

Imagine if we didn't have all the millionaires in SWCT how much that tax amount would drop. Your stats are all income based . The overwhelming majority of CT residents aren't millionaires

Screenshot_20200908-092825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200908-092857_Chrome.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Warm ground theory thoroughly debunked.  Take note TV METs.

Warm ground only matters when the precip is really light...... or after the snow stops falling, it can start melting from underneath. I've seen that when we get snow in November and it's only like 25F out the next day but there's still some melting from the bottom with upper layer soil temps still in the 40s.

The surface of the ground itself will usually come in line with the ambient air temp pretty quickly, so immediate accumulations aren't too hard.

I feel like we have a pretty good handle on the warm ground stuff... -SN at 2.5 mile vis this time of year is just wet, maybe grassy coating.  Anything with sustained visibility of a mile or under will stick.  Especially that stuff that occurred overnight in Wyoming.

I’m not sure if visibility is a better measure or liquid equivalent per hour is...but those are what matters.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like we have a pretty good handle on the warm ground stuff... -SN at 2.5 mile vis this time of year is just wet, maybe grassy coating.  Anything with sustained visibility of a mile or under will stick.  Especially that stuff that occurred overnight in Wyoming.

I’m not sure if visibility is a better measure or liquid equivalent per hour is...but those are what matters.

Temps matter too...there are mid and upper 20s in WY where that snow was falling....you can easily get that to stick even if it's pretty light. It's different if you have 33-34F and SN- with a warm ground.

27F will make that very top sfc of the ground frozen pretty quickly.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Temps matter too...there are mid and upper 20s in WY where that snow was falling....you can easily get that to stick even if it's pretty light. It's different if you have 33-34F and SN- with a warm ground.

27F will make that very top sfc of the ground frozen pretty quickly.

Ha, yeah I’m an idiot for leaving that out. Temps seem like they’d be pretty important.  Not sure why I was assuming a 32-34F type air mass.  I figure anytime you get into the 20s it’s gonna stick fine.

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Surprised they're last.  Is Electric Boat no longer building submarines?  And I'm amazed at that $4k figure.  Our household income is slightly above Maine's median and we've never sent as much as $4k to the IRS.  My guess is that CT's average income is way above the median due to the abundance of plutocrats, and that enough of that population is paying at the top rate and enriching Washington.