• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Was listening to gov. Scott’s press conference today and he was asked about the lodging and hospitality industry.  In response, he said (and I’m paraphrasing) that after they handle the school issues the next couple weeks, they would focus on assisting those industries both financially and looking at easing restrictions.  Reading between the lines, great news for helping out the ski industry that has been pummeled and some hope for out of staters looking at the ski season; maybe a more manageable and fair quarantine system is coming?

Well, I don’t want to say that I hope I can’t go to VT this year, but I did just drop $759 (went up to $919 on 9/3) on my first ever season pass for N.Y. mountains lol. Tough calls this year. Now we wait and see what happens. If cases skyrocket this winter, might turn into a skinning / backcountry winter. Time shall tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm hoping we have a vaccine by New Year. If the first half of the season is restrictive, maybe we can at least save the second half.

The people who will have access to the limited supplies of the vaccine for the first six months aren't the usual customers at ski resorts or employees, I'm afraid. I am under the impression the vaccine will not be available to everyone on-demand until this time next year, most likely. Hopefully in time to save school year 2021-2022.

The people who will have access to the limited supplies of the vaccine for the first six months aren't the usual customers at ski resorts or employees, I'm afraid. I am under the impression the vaccine will not be available to everyone on-demand until this time next year, most likely. Hopefully in time to save school year 2021-2022.

I completely agree. It’s gonna take a while to roll out.

Wolf Creek is a really fun area - basically a 1.5-2 mile ridge line with 1,500-1,750' of vertical with everything skiable and most annual snow in Colorado. The other bonus is there are no resort lodging at the ski area - need to drive north or south and the clientale is heavily Texan, Arkansas, Louisiana folks which can make for a comedy on snow at times - 

https://wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek-ski-area-live-web-cam/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Wolf Creek is a really fun area - basically a 1.5-2 mile ridge line with 1,500-1,750' of vertical with everything skiable and most annual snow in Colorado. The other bonus is there are no resort lodging at the ski area - need to drive north or south and the clientale is heavily Texan, Arkansas, Louisiana folks which can make for a comedy on snow at times - 

https://wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek-ski-area-live-web-cam/

They always seem to get heavy snows early in the season. Usually the first ski area to open 100%

Killington/Pico has published their approach to the season:

https://www.picomountain.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/2021-winter-experience?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=KT-Schuss091020 (1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=43426579&spUserID=NDk5NDk2MTc1NzUwS0&spJobID=1840909387&spReportId=MTg0MDkwOTM4NwS2

No early season Northridge/stairs.  They will wait until they can do T2B.  They expect 11/14/20 with pass holders only for a while.  They plan to do parking reservation to limit guests.  Should be interesting for those of us that live at Pico where our condo parking is in the big ski area lot.  My parking reservations better be 24/7 with no questions asked for Pico.  They go on to say that the priority is skiing and people should plan not to use the lodges.

Just received this. Fantastic news about making skiing accessable to the local community.

An anonymous donor, with close ties to the Rangeley/Oquossoc region announced a major gift to make Saddleback Mountain and skiing accessible to every child in the Rangeley schools for the next 5 years.

“With this gift, Saddleback Mountain will be able to offer season passes to every child in the Rangeley school district for $50/year for the next 5 years,” said Wolfe Tone of the Saddleback Mountain Foundation. “These donors’ generosity in the early stages of Saddleback’s philanthropy campaign was instrumental in helping get the mountain back on its feet and this gift continues their legacy of making a difference in the region.”
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Angus said:

Just received this. Fantastic news about making skiing accessable to the local community.

An anonymous donor, with close ties to the Rangeley/Oquossoc region announced a major gift to make Saddleback Mountain and skiing accessible to every child in the Rangeley schools for the next 5 years.

“With this gift, Saddleback Mountain will be able to offer season passes to every child in the Rangeley school district for $50/year for the next 5 years,” said Wolfe Tone of the Saddleback Mountain Foundation. “These donors’ generosity in the early stages of Saddleback’s philanthropy campaign was instrumental in helping get the mountain back on its feet and this gift continues their legacy of making a difference in the region.”

If I were them, I'd blow out some mice tomorrow morning for some cheap PR. Low dew's and 31F for a low would likely make it possible. Edit, looks like temps and especially dew's won't be low enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MarkO said:

If I were them, I'd blow out some mice tomorrow morning for some cheap PR. Low dew's and 31F for a low would likely make it possible. Edit, looks like temps and especially dew's won't be low enough.

Saturday morning should have colder temps than today.  Couple of white patches near the lodge to get folks ramped up?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Saddleback is really crushing it. I heard there is already minimal lodging available for the winter. 

Yeah I know their marketing guy, he moved from Burlington to Rangley right before COVID... his photos have been great.  Nice to see the revival up there.  They certainly have long term challenges but it would be exciting to be involved in that project.

Jay’s reopening plan..no reservations and they are selling day tickets at the window.  Much of the resort will be business as usual, with capacity restrictions of course. They are clearly anticipating the border staying closed and losing all the Canadian traffic but should be an amazing ski experience for us here.  Taking the dog out at 5am with temps in the 30s the other morning has me ready.

https://jaypeakresort.com/resort/blog-updates/202021-jay-peak-resort-anticipated-operating-plan

11 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Jay’s reopening plan..no reservations and they are selling day tickets at the window.  Much of the resort will be business as usual, with capacity restrictions of course. They are clearly anticipating the border staying closed and losing all the Canadian traffic but should be an amazing ski experience for us here.  Taking the dog out at 5am with temps in the 30s the other morning has me ready.

https://jaypeakresort.com/resort/blog-updates/202021-jay-peak-resort-anticipated-operating-plan

Yeah losing the border and also not being on a multi-mountain pass, not even that Independent Pass, they will have plenty of capacity for a normal winter.  They just won’t get the volume, along with consumers probably preferring to do day trips instead of overnights... it’s all lining up for Jay Peak American skiers to have a once in a lifetime experience.  Local businesses may disagree, ha, but for the skiers and riders it should be empty.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah losing the border and also not being on a multi-mountain pass, not even that Independent Pass, they will have plenty of capacity for a normal winter.  They just won’t get the volume, along with consumers probably preferring to do day trips instead of overnights... it’s all lining up for Jay Peak American skiers to have a once in a lifetime experience.  Local businesses may disagree, ha, but for the skiers and riders it should be empty.

Another big draw is all the hockey tournaments at Jay. Those are still up in the air.  

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

Another big draw is all the hockey tournaments at Jay. Those are still up in the air.  

Yep; very true.  I was surprised that last weekend, there was stuff going on almost non-stop in the ice haus.  Don’t know if it was camps or what, but a surprising amount of teams and people in and out.  Those tournaments are big business tho.

Ive heard pass sales are actually up over last year, but I don’t think anyone knows if that will hold because if vt doesn’t loosen restrictions, a lot of those sales will turn into refunds.  I think epic pass sales are booming too.  There is clearly demand.

57 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Jay is giving me two free lift tickets for saddleback this year.  I def have to get up there and check it out.  You guys speak so highly of that place.

I’ve actually never been there, nor have I been to Maine. But I’ve seen pictures and heard good things about it from those who’ve been there, and it made me sad when they shut down.

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Yep; very true.  I was surprised that last weekend, there was stuff going on almost non-stop in the ice haus.  Don’t know if it was camps or what, but a surprising amount of teams and people in and out.  Those tournaments are big business tho.

Ive heard pass sales are actually up over last year, but I don’t think anyone knows if that will hold because if vt doesn’t loosen restrictions, a lot of those sales will turn into refunds.  I think epic pass sales are booming too.  There is clearly demand.

Most season pass sales are doing well as people are afraid day tickets may not be available on busy days and pass holders will get first dibs... so if you want to ski, the idea is buy a pass.

Also, all discount products are essentially gone in a lot of spots... you aren’t finding those gas station, supermarket discount tickets or random promotions, it’s either get a pass or buy full freight walk up tickets when capacity allows.  Bus tour discounts are done this year... maybe in the past folks patched it together with various discount days to different ski areas, but that likely won’t be an option. There are definitely a variety of factors pushing people into passes this season.