Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha!  I go with much colder settings... I like 65F in winter inside.  Right now it’s mid-60s outside and three screen doors in different rooms plus windows ushering that air in.

Yes, I have learned the technique. I screwed up last heat wave by opening the windows and doors during the day to "get a breeze" which was a disaster. Now I open them at night to chill the place down and then seal up tight during the day,. Works well for the log home which holds whatever air it is given pretty well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s usually warm indoors during the day. But at night I like it cool. In winter the house is probably 66 when we are home and near 60 at night. Our bed holds in a lot of warmth so that helps in winter. Not so much in summer. 

My wife would be dying at that temperature in the winter. My daughters would have gloves and hats on.

We mostly ride at 70 year round.

I would be good at 40 degrees all year myself.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You guys also have a decaying cold front moving through. However that will change tomorrow.

Yeah it’s rain cooled air too... but also climo of NNE to get more weak FROPAs and storms.   

What’s not climo is the over-the-top torches relative to normal that have been happening since the late-May.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My wife would be dying at that temperature in the winter. My daughters would have gloves and hats on.

Yep wife loves warmth. I don’t mind the cold at all. It’s always a thermo battle in my house lol. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yep wife loves warmth. I don’t mind the cold at all. It’s always a thermo battle in my house lol. 

I have the air on 68 right now and my wife thinks that’s a little chilly.... I’d knock it down a few more notches if I could get away with it.

Heat in the winter is set somewhere between 62-64.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, I have learned the technique. I screwed up last heat wave by opening the windows and doors during the day to "get a breeze" which was a disaster. Now I open them at night to chill the place down and then seal up tight during the day,. Works well for the log home which holds whatever air it is given pretty well.

That is by far the way to go.  You can manage air and efficiency very easily using the sun to or against your benefit.  

Full sunshine in floor to ceiling windows in winter cold is gloriously warm... in summer it’s time to pull the shades during midday solar, especially if you aren’t home.  No brainer if you aren’t home actually.  Head to the summits during that time.

Then in the evening as it cools off or whenever the temp outside goes below your AC temp, you open everything up.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This wasn't even that cold, but it's funny how cold a BN July can look up...especially if we're doing it with cP airmasses.

image.png

How has July at LCI been over the last 30 years?  I feel like that last 10 years have been quiet warm for July anyways.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Same here more or less though I try to keep 68 in winter, 72 summer.  

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have long threatened to install a password-protected thermostat with the locked cage on top like they have in office buildings. But she let me buy a house in northern NH so I could never do that. LOL

• Like 2

I fight the windows closed, shades closed during the day battle with my wife. She says it looks like a morgue lol. I explain the summer rules , closed during the day open at night but ya know... anyways Ac at 73 heat at 70 winter seems a happy wife happy life winner 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have long threatened to install a password-protected thermostat with the locked cage on top like they have in office buildings. But she let me buy a house in northern NH so I could never do that. LOL

Lol I ran a facility with at one time 250 employees.  I locked out all the adjustments, 232 t stats by computer and took control of them after cubicle wars between men and women got unbearable.  Lol.  Oh the book I could write. Would get me cancelled for sure

Bear just came back to our porch.  Holy shit.  I'm jacked up.  Dog went nuts again and is scratching the door to go outside and chase after we closed it.  Screen door open again, it must smell something coming from our kitchen.  I saw it's face through the screen door for a split second before the dog went nuts and it took off back into the woods.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Phin how’s school going to work with the kids up there? Your business is consulting right? I don’t recall if it was something with IT or security.

We are going to be homeschooling the kids, which is what enables this multi-house setup we have going to work at all. Our school in MD is not showing signs they will be open with any regularity in the fall, so homeschooling was what worked best for us since my wife doesn't work a regular 9-5 (although what she does with the kids is beyond any job I could imagine doing).  She got really pissed off at the Zoom calls and the lack of real learning in a remote setting during the shutdowns. She was basically already homeschooling them but we were paying 25k in tuition on top of it. Not workable for her. So we will be in Randolph most of the winter seeing how it goes and hoping the Internet holds out... kinda shaky compared to MD. haha

My business is Federal government contracting. Basically we provide engineering support to Federal government customers, mostly DoD and HHS. The company mostly runs itself these days, I just watch from a distance and provide course corrections as needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Bear just came back to our porch.  Holy shit.  I'm jacked up.  Dog went nuts again and is scratching the door to go outside and chase after we closed it.  Screen door open again, it must smell something coming from our kitchen.  I saw it's face through the screen door for a split second before the dog went nuts and it took off back into the woods.

What kind of dog? Could it handle a bear out in the open? Sounds like it isn't scared at all.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What kind of dog? Could it handle a bear out in the open? Sounds like it isn't scared at all.

It’s a black lab, no way could it handle a bear but it thinks it could take all animals that run from it.  She’s fiercely loyal, and most wild animals looking for food will run from a howling dog, regardless of size.  I’m not letting her out, that’s for sure.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s a black lab, no way could it handle a bear but it thinks it could take all animals that run from it.  She’s fiercely loyal, and most wild animals looking for food will run from a howling dog, regardless of size.  I’m not letting her out, that’s for sure.

Yeah, dogs are loyal like that. There are many stories of sled dogs going after huge polar bears with no fear.

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Not many if any dogs could handle a bear, thats the great thing about dogs is they protect no matter what. My dog saved my ass one night and Ill never forget it.

Most b;lack bears are pretty content to walk away from a dog.  Obviously they have the size-advantage but they are bothered by the harrassment and look for womeone else's bird feeder.

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We are going to be homeschooling the kids, which is what enables this multi-house setup we have going to work at all. Our school in MD is not showing signs they will be open with any regularity in the fall, so homeschooling was what worked best for us since my wife doesn't work a regular 9-5 (although what she does with the kids is beyond any job I could imagine doing).  She got really pissed off at the Zoom calls and the lack of real learning in a remote setting during the shutdowns. She was basically already homeschooling them but we were paying 25k in tuition on top of it. Not workable for her. So we will be in Randolph most of the winter seeing how it goes and hoping the Internet holds out... kinda shaky compared to MD. haha

My business is Federal government contracting. Basically we provide engineering support to Federal government customers, mostly DoD and HHS. The company mostly runs itself these days, I just watch from a distance and provide course corrections as needed.

Gotcha. I don't blame you one bit. I've felt the same as well, but I don't have a choice really. We'll see how this year goes with the in-house and/or remote learning.

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, dogs are loyal like that. There are many stories of sled dogs going after huge polar bears with no fear.

True story.  We have a 12 year old golden retriever.  When she was around 2 our daughter was 11.  We were vacationing on a lake in NH near the ME line.  It was a hot day and she went out on the lake on a big tire raft.  The dog decided she was out too far and swam to her, put the rope tow line her mouth, and swam her to shore.  I have a photo of it somewhere...an amazing moment!

• Like 5