• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

89 at noon here, but with a dewpoint of 64 which is significantly lower than yesterday's 73 reading. It's not THAT bad out.

We picked up a new cabinet/pantry/bookshelf thingy from our Amish builder guy in Meyerstown and I didn’t sweat moving it. So yea it’s not horrible yet.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

94.4 was my high today...maybe one of the best feeling 94 degree days that I can remember. It took me almost 30 seconds to sweat outside which is pretty good. :) 

I was at Gifford Pinchot for lunch today.  In the shade it was fine.  Did not get in the water.   Actually was not that busy. Thought of you but guessing if you went to the beach it was on the other side of the lake.  Saw the walk around the lake is 9 miles! 

58 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was at Gifford Pinchot for lunch today.  In the shade it was fine.  Did not get in the water.   Actually was not that busy. Thought of you but guessing if you went to the beach it was on the other side of the lake.  Saw the walk around the lake is 9 miles! 

It was nuts the 4th of July weekend and then died on Monday the 6th. My family was spread out on both sides of the lake so my wife and I actually got in the water on both sides. Ranger told me the water temp was 85...it felt like it. Warmest water that I can remember and I've been in the Caribbean waters in July in the past.

• Like 1

I see that CTP decided to put up a Heat Advisory for only a small part of the LSV...?

No Advisory for me, @sauss06 or @Bubbler86 , so we should be nice and cool over here with no concerns for excessive heat!

Somehow, there is a Heat Advisory for the southern tier counties of NY, but only a few counties in CTP seem to qualify?

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I see that CTP decided to put up a Heat Advisory for only a small part of the LSV...?

No Advisory for me, @sauss06 or @Bubbler86 , so we should be nice and cool over here with no concerns for excessive heat!

Somehow, there is a Heat Advisory for the southern tier counties of NY, but only a few counties in CTP seem to qualify?

Again CTP isn't in sync with neighboring offices. 

Today looks like its going to be the hottest for us.

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Heat Advisory criteria in NY is for a Heat Index lasting a minimum of 2 hours of at least 95, here in PA it's 100. It differs in different areas just like snow amounts do in the winter.

CTP's advisories look good to me for their area based on criteria and what is expected. 

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

A little fun fact to go along with today...it has never reached 100 degrees in Tampa Florida.  It rarely reaches 100 anywhere in Florida

Really glad you brought this up. As someone who travels to Florida a lot (though not as much as you) I laugh when people from our area say they could never do summers in Florida. Yes, the heat and humidity is relentless, but during our heat waves up here we're typically running hotter and sometimes nearly as humid as down there. We've made a couple of July trips and both times it was 3-5 degrees cooler in Orlando than it was back here.

18 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Heat Advisory criteria in NY is for a Heat Index lasting a minimum of 2 hours of at least 95, here in PA it's 100. It differs in different areas just like snow amounts do in the winter.

CTP's advisories look good to me for their area based on criteria and what is expected. 

I realize that there is criteria, but I think that they should follow the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law more often.

I understand that they need to draw a line somewhere, but they should at least try to coordinate more with their regional border offices. I also find it interesting that at least the entire LSV is not in the Advisory, especially when all of the MD border counties (except for Garrett) have one posted.

It is like not putting up a Winter Storm warning because they forecast 5 inches of snow instead of 6. Is it better for them to follow their criteria to “win” that battle, instead of adhering to their main purpose of warning the public of extreme weather?

Really glad you brought this up. As someone who travels to Florida a lot (though not as much as you) I laugh when people from our area say they could never do summers in Florida. Yes, the heat and humidity is relentless, but during our heat waves up here we're typically running hotter and sometimes nearly as humid as down there. We've made a couple of July trips and both times it was 3-5 degrees cooler in Orlando than it was back here.

It’s the relentless part that is the issue with me. I can deal with heat it spurts, but when you go weeks on weeks (even months) with no relief, that’s when it gets unbearable.

31 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I realize that there is criteria, but I think that they should follow the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law more often.

I understand that they need to draw a line somewhere, but they should at least try to coordinate more with their regional border offices. I also find it interesting that at least the entire LSV is not in the Advisory, especially when all of the MD border counties (except for Garrett) have one posted.

It is like not putting up a Winter Storm warning because they forecast 5 inches of snow instead of 6. Is it better for them to follow their criteria to “win” that battle, instead of adhering to their main purpose of warning the public of extreme weather?

1. Not asking you, but are local offices evaluated on forecast accuracy? If so, the letter of the law matters.

2. Why have criteria if it's not going to be followed? How much "fudging" is acceptable?

I'm not being argumentative, you raise a valid point. At the same time there might be reasons they do what they do that we're not aware of. 

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

1. Not asking you, but are local offices evaluated on forecast accuracy? If so, the letter of the law matters.

2. Why have criteria if it's not going to be followed? How much "fudging" is acceptable?

I'm not being argumentative, you raise a valid point. At the same time there might be reasons they do what they do that we're not aware of. 

This is why the NWS is moving to eliminate advisories and redo watches. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Your statement #1 is correct.  Each forecast office must follow the criteria established for their particular forecast region.  Their accuracy IS evaluated.  While coordination between adjoining offices can be considered depending on the "level of severity", the rules are the rules in most cases.  As for what is happening in the LSV right now, it would appear that west of the river our forecast highs are a few degrees lower and are leaving us on the cusp of the advisory.  My forecast high for tomorrow is 93.  Interestingly, as I write this it's 92 with a heat index of 100.  Unless there is a drop in the dew point coming it looks like I'll meet advisory criteria this afternoon.

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Your statement #1 is correct.  Each forecast office must follow the criteria established for their particular forecast region.  Their accuracy IS evaluated.  While coordination between adjoining offices can be considered depending on the "level of severity", the rules are the rules in most cases.  As for what is happening in the LSV right now, it would appear that west of the river our forecast highs are a few degrees lower and are leaving us on the cusp of the advisory.  My forecast high for tomorrow is 93.  Interestingly, as I write this it's 92 with a heat index of 100.  Unless there is a drop in the dew point coming it looks like I'll meet advisory criteria this afternoon.

Their old motto says that their priority is to “protect life & property”. 

I fully understand criteria & evaluation based on solid numbers. Sometimes “close enough” is directly on point to accomplish a goal. 

Does the general public know the difference between a Heat Index of 98 versus 102?

It is HOT & Dangerous for certain activities...they should do what they can to put the word out. These Advisories & Warnings get the attention of people.

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yea, the humidity there is relentless and it feels even worse there, to me, even if the humidity here is higher.  But SO many people in Florida think I need to plow snow all year and stuff like that. They cannot believe that it gets hotter here than there.