• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If we are really going to have an overly active Tropical Season its may have to pack it into a month or two.  I think July is getting punted.   One can say we had the earliest F storm ever so I guess if we have extra non threatening storms it could be considered active?

In other news.  GFS op and ens are looking "moist" in eastern half of the country.  Not sure based on 500 flow how "moist" it really gets, but yards would approve of 12z's look if verified. 

My wife LOVES that word....:P

Saw this from the Capital Weather Gang:

Great Lakes water temperatures are off the charts. The average water temperature of Lake Michigan was recently 75 degrees and in the upper 70s to near 80 in lakes Erie and Ontario - the warmest on record.

29 minutes ago, paweather said:

Great Lakes water temperatures are off the charts. The average water temperature of Lake Michigan was recently 75 degrees and in the upper 70s to near 80 in lakes Erie and Ontario - the warmest on record.

Prolly going to soon start talk of how it will amp up LES season as well.  Article does comment that last year at this time one of the people interviewed needed a wet suit to swim.

30 minutes ago, paweather said:

North of our location has been hot - in fact quite a few cities in the NE are having their hottest summer on record. I'm assuming that hot weather has extended into the upper midwest as well. 

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

North of our location has been hot - in fact quite a few cities in the NE are having their hottest summer on record. I'm assuming that hot weather has extended into the upper midwest as well. 

Yea, going back a bit when we had all those spectacular days many areas to the North were frying.  I do not think it has been all that hot here.  Great Lakes in the 80's is quite warm.  Hard to be enthusiastic about going into that water though. 

1 hour ago, paweather said:

makes for great lake effect snow in late autumn....

We hope.

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Waters off the Carolins, I believe, are hottest on record as well. 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

So many times I wish I didn't live in a higher elevation. While the south and southeast lowlands cook, we can barely muster upper 80's to 90. I miss my Lehigh Valley summer heat waves.

What is your elevation.  Over here I am at a bit over 800'.  Some days it really keeps us cooler (like yesterday when we only got to 84 and sitting at just 74 right now) but during the winter it has given me no advantage in the two years I have been here now with the majority of storms going by to our west.

Doh-Just saw it is in your footer.  About 20 feet higher than me.  I am at the side and bottom of a 2000'+ mountain so can get over 2000' in less than 5 min for quick checks on the "snow up there" during the winter. 

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

What is your elevation.  Over here I am at a bit over 800'.  Some days it really keeps us cooler (like yesterday when we only got to 84 and sitting at just 74 right now) but during the winter it has given me no advantage in the two years I have been here now with the majority of storms going by to our west.

Doh-Just saw it is in your footer.  About 20 feet higher than me.  I am at the side and bottom of a 2000'+ mountain so can get over 2000' in less than 5 min for quick checks on the "snow up there" during the winter. 

I had no idea that you had that much elevation - for whatever reason I thought that area might have been in the 400-500' range. I'm at 447' here. No wonder you get all of the snow...

42 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We've made it to the middle of July with only a handful of truly uncomfortable days, but it looks like we might get a bunch of 'em in the next week or 2. 

I don't mind it. Its CPA, its summer B) if the pool water is 80 and the temp is 95, its refreshing. And, my beer is always 33

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had no idea that you had that much elevation - for whatever reason I thought that area might have been in the 400-500' range. I'm at 447' here. No wonder you get all of the snow...

Because I am on the far west side of the whole South Mountain Chain I get no protection from warm intrusion from the south in the winter.  I live near where the word Pen Mar is printed in blue at the top.  The red marker is where I can get to within 5 or 10 min and it looks like it is close to 1800 feet as the peek of Quirack Mountain, where it is over 2000',  is off limits due to the government broadcasting towers and Raven Rock/underground Pentagon.  image.thumb.png.099a5c4a0406e98f63cf8e3351dc9af0.png

34 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We've had our heat at times in the past, even getting up to 102 way back in 2011, but generally, most heat seems to get stopped at the Blue Mountain. Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading, and Allentown can get easily into the mid 90's while we barely make it to 88-89 degrees. Now in the winter, sometimes we get the inversions where normally frigid Hazleton can be as much as 20 degrees warmer than we are in the early morning. I'd scrape frost off my car at 30 degrees only to arrive at work and it would be in the mid to upper 40's.

52 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We've had our heat at times in the past, even getting up to 102 way back in 2011, but generally, most heat seems to get stopped at the Blue Mountain. Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading, and Allentown can get easily into the mid 90's while we barely make it to 88-89 degrees. Now in the winter, sometimes we get the inversions where normally frigid Hazleton can be as much as 20 degrees warmer than we are in the early morning. I'd scrape frost off my car at 30 degrees only to arrive at work and it would be in the mid to upper 40's.

I consider your locale, just knowing generally not exact, more "mountainy" than mine since I am at the edge of this specific range/chain.    If I look SW, W or NW I just see flat land for a lot of miles until the next range which I guess is officially the Appalachian Range though the Appalachian Trail goes right beside us here in the Blue Ridge/South Mountain Range.  Its all Appalachians I guess.  That area to my West is known as "The Great Valley".  30-40 miles between ranges. 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I consider your locale, just knowing generally not exact, more "mountainy" than mine since I am at the edge of this specific range/chain.    If I look SW, W or NW I just see flat land for a lot of miles until the next range which I guess is officially the Appalachian Range though the Appalachian Trail goes right beside us here in the Blue Ridge/South Mountain Range.  Its all Appalachians I guess.  That area to my West is known as "The Great Valley".  30-40 miles between ranges. 

I'm going to make a run at the 90 mark today...sitting at 85.2 at high noon. 

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just a heads up Governor Wolf is going to announce some reopening cutbacks later today. Mostly related to bars/restaurants and any business that can telework. 

(Sounds of backup beeping in the background)  Seem's the more things that shutdown the more the market goes up.   The divide between the Have's and Have Nots/Littles grows larger by the day. 

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

@Itstrainingtime just hit 90

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

MDT is rocking 91.  Another high bust for the LSV. 

Topped out at 90.2 at 3:00pm.

Surprisingly, I've already dropped to 88 on the nose. Typically high temps occur from about now until 5pm most days. Haven't checked to see if I had a wind shift that would account for an earlier temp plateau today. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

(Sounds of backup beeping in the background)  Seem's the more things that shutdown the more the market goes up.   The divide between the Have's and Have Nots/Littles grows larger by the day. 

Never trust anyone who points at the market as the basis of how the economy is doing.